Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #1
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Device: iPhone
Kobo Hebrew Support

Hi,

I received an answer from Kobo's support that they can read Hebrew ePub properly.
However, I have no evidence for it.

Can any of you, lucky Kobo reader owners, check if it displays properly?

Attached is an Hebrew ePub. A screen capture of the first page of the first chapter and the TOC will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carmel
Hebrew eBooks at Mendele HeBooks
http://www.mendele.co.il
Attached Files
File Type: epub ArieBaalGoof-test1.5.epub (322.0 KB, 1049 views)

Last edited by carmelra; 05-13-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: signature was added
carmelra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Beorn
New in the business
Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Beorn , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader, Sony PRS-505 (broken)
Hi Carmel,

I just tried viewing this book that you attached in my Kobo, and unfortunately it doesn't read properly...
As you can see, the alignment is correct, and it even shows the letters, but the letter order is incorrect, and the TOC only shows squares... Also, the Nikkud is always on the letter next to the one on which it's supposed to be.
I would also love it to have Hebrew support in ePub (in PDF it works properly, but in order to have a PDF which will be comfortable to read on the Kobo, you have to make it yourself so that it will be in the size of the Kobo's screen)

However, besides the several books available on Mendele and some thigns from Ben Yehuda Project, I don't know of any Hebrew eBooks anyways, so it's not so urgent...

Eran

P.S. sorry for the quality of the pictures, I only now noticed that my phone's camera was on the lowest quality... you can still understand however, so I won't take new ones...

Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
carmelra
Zealot
carmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toyscarmelra shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
Hi Carmel,

I just tried viewing this book that you attached in my Kobo, and unfortunately it doesn't read properly...
As you can see, the alignment is correct, and it even shows the letters, but the letter order is incorrect, and the TOC only shows squares... Also, the Nikkud is always on the letter next to the one on which it's supposed to be.
I would also love it to have Hebrew support in ePub (in PDF it works properly, but in order to have a PDF which will be comfortable to read on the Kobo, you have to make it yourself so that it will be in the size of the Kobo's screen)

However, besides the several books available on Mendele and some thigns from Ben Yehuda Project, I don't know of any Hebrew eBooks anyways, so it's not so urgent...

Eran

P.S. sorry for the quality of the pictures, I only now noticed that my phone's camera was on the lowest quality... you can still understand however, so I won't take new ones...
Thanks for this feedback. The pictures are just fine, no better quality required to see it doesn't work properly.
It's disappointing, however, I'll check with Kobo's support again. Maybe it's a matter of a firmware update.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
mimico
mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eTouch
Works on the Kobo Touch

Hi,

I just tried the posted file on the Kobo eReader Touch. It works flawlessly! It is even right justified. I was impressed.

Thanks for posting this file :-)

Cheers.
mimico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #5
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimico View Post
Hi,

I just tried the posted file on the Kobo eReader Touch. It works flawlessly! It is even right justified. I was impressed.

Thanks for posting this file :-)

Cheers.
Sounds great! Can you upload a screen capture or a photo to demonstrate it?
Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
carmelra
Zealot

Following mimico's post, Would any of you, Kobo eReader Touch owners, check if the Hebrew ePub file attached on the first post of this thread displays properly for you too?

A screen capture of the first page of the first chapter and the TOC will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 10-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
mimico
mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mimico , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eTouch
screenshots

Here are a few screenshots. I do not actually read Hebrew, but I don't see a TOC. I took the shots with different font sizes. There are 6 different fonts on the Kobo, but it seems that the default font (which is used in the screenshots) works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.JPG
Views:	857
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	77792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0634.JPG
Views:	1573
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	77793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.JPG
Views:	812
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	77794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	77795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	77796  
mimico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimico View Post
Here are a few screenshots. I do not actually read Hebrew, but I don't see a TOC. I took the shots with different font sizes. There are 6 different fonts on the Kobo, but it seems that the default font (which is used in the screenshots) works fine.
Thanks for the effort mimico.

The characters are Hebrew, the text is right aligned but...
The characters are displayed left to right so there is not even single readable word

I hope the Kobo developers will solve this issue. Currently the device is useless for me.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi,

Has anyone found a solution yet ? rtl ? BDO ?

I only had one success with a font without vocalization.

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
My understanding is that with the current firmware, the reader application for kepubs handles RTL languages properly. To use this with an epub, you need to rename it to have the extension ".kepub.epub". And you might need to add a font. It has been discussed in the last few months.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
Thanks for the effort mimico.

The characters are Hebrew, the text is right aligned but...
The characters are displayed left to right so there is not even single readable word

I hope the Kobo developers will solve this issue. Currently the device is useless for me.

I took at look at the ebook you attached and it makes much use of directives which are not used by Adobe's mobile reader software. So for the fun of it, I did some modification to the ebook to remove the fonts from the ebook, remove the fixed font sizes and to add the cover property directive. After this, I renamed the book to end in .kepub.epub instead of .epub. I renamed the font files to put a space between DejaVu and Sans as required to for Kobo's font file naming conventions and copied them to the fonts directory on the Kobo. This would trigger the Kobo into using Kobo's EPUB3 renderer instead of the Adobe Mobile Reader EPUB2 renderer.

After this, it looked better to me, the TOC and headers used a Hebrew font instead of showing boxes and the lines of text ran in the opposite direction to what I saw on my computer using Adobe Digital Editions.

I've attached a couple of images of the screen -- could you let me know if the ebook is displaying properly. My apologies for the quality of the images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page.JPG
Views:	980
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	103333   Click image for larger version

Name:	title.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	103334   Click image for larger version

Name:	toc.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	103335  

Last edited by DNSB; 03-22-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: fat fingers commit typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Thank you David and DNSB,

I simply renamed the file as kepub.epub and my interlinear hebrew / english genesis with freeSans or kobo nickel even Georgia font displayed just fine. Vocalization seems ok too.

My css still uses:
.hebrew {direction:rtl; unicode-bidi:embed;}
for corresponding span. Didn't try without yet.

Thanks a lot

François
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxp33 View Post
Thank you David and DNSB,

I simply renamed the file as kepub.epub and my interlinear hebrew / english genesis with freeSans or kobo nickel even Georgia font displayed just fine. Vocalization seems ok too.

My css still uses:
.hebrew {direction:rtl; unicode-bidi:embed;}
for corresponding span. Didn't try without yet.

Thanks a lot

François
With a .kepub.epub extension, the book will attempt to locate an appropriate font for characters that are not in the font set for the book. This was brought out in a discussion a while back about using a Sanskrit font. On another hand, if you specify a font that has a glyph at the right position but is not the right glyph, the results look rather interesting. Not very readable but interesting.

There have been several discussion about using kepub in this forum you might want to check into to see what potential issues you may run into.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
fxp33
Addict

Hebrew english short file

Here is a very short file (first chapter) to let you check the display.

At a time I had a problem displaying the carriage return which was justified to the left instead of the right for Hebrew span.

It seems OK now.

I can't really read Hebrew, my need is only to look up specific words / concepts. Therefore I might have missed some mistakes in the document.

Hope this helps.

François
PS: I hope this applies also to Arabic, but I couldn't check by myself, not knowing enough the alphabet.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Test Bible English Hebrew genesis chap 1v10.kepub.epub (5.7 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by fxp33; 03-23-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
carmelra
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I took at look at the ebook you attached and it makes much use of directives which are not used by Adobe's mobile reader software. So for the fun of it, I did some modification to the ebook to remove the fonts from the ebook, remove the fixed font sizes and to add the cover property directive. After this, I renamed the book to end in .kepub.epub instead of .epub. I renamed the font files to put a space between DejaVu and Sans as required to for Kobo's font file naming conventions and copied them to the fonts directory on the Kobo. This would trigger the Kobo into using Kobo's EPUB3 renderer instead of the Adobe Mobile Reader EPUB2 renderer.

After this, it looked better to me, the TOC and headers used a Hebrew font instead of showing boxes and the lines of text ran in the opposite direction to what I saw on my computer using Adobe Digital Editions.

I've attached a couple of images of the screen -- could you let me know if the ebook is displaying properly. My apologies for the quality of the images.
Thanks DNSB. I must admit I didn't really followed all you have done with the original file but the results look just great!
I wonder if there is a way to trigger the Kobo's EPUB3 renderer on the original file.