Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
dwal
dwal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, iPad 3
Cover Only Displayed Correctly on MOBI but not EPUB

I tried converting a book from ODT file using Calibre 0.9.21 into EPUB and MOBI. For both files I added my own JPEG image file as cover. However, only the MOBI file displays the cover image correctly (both on Calibre and Kindle Fire HD).

The EPUB file only shows the cover image correctly on Calibre's preview pane, but if I click to read the book on Calibre it will revert back to the generic Calibre logo as cover image instead. When I add the EPUB on my iPad it will only shows this generic Calibre cover as well.

I tried re-editing metadata a couple of times specifying my chosen cover image file but the EPUB file still keeps showing the same generic cover when opened. Can anyone advise how can I make the EPUB displays the cover correctly?
dwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwal View Post
I tried converting a book from ODT file using Calibre 0.9.21 into EPUB and MOBI. For both files I added my own JPEG image file as cover. However, only the MOBI file displays the cover image correctly (both on Calibre and Kindle Fire HD).

The EPUB file only shows the cover image correctly on Calibre's preview pane, but if I click to read the book on Calibre it will revert back to the generic Calibre logo as cover image instead. When I add the EPUB on my iPad it will only shows this generic Calibre cover as well.

I tried re-editing metadata a couple of times specifying my chosen cover image file but the EPUB file still keeps showing the same generic cover when opened. Can anyone advise how can I make the EPUB displays the cover correctly?
Use the new 'Polish' to update the books cover.
The Library cover CAN be different than what is in the book.
The cover will be used (If you allow it), when doing a conversion. Polish (and Modify EPUB) are safer ways to insert covers and metadata if you do not want to risk 'converting' an otherwise, great format.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
dwal
dwal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, iPad 3
Thank you! Just tried it and got a new EPUB file which seems to show the correct cover of my choice while the "ORIGINAL_EPUB" keeps the generic cover.
dwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
How were you adding the book to your iPad? The symptoms you describe are what would happen if you did not use the Calibre "Send to Device" or "Send to Folder" capabilities, but instead did it at the OS level.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote