Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
New Sony Reader light accessory introduced

Sony has now added a battery powered light accessory for the Sony Reader. Price is set at $14.95. The light is made by Great Point Light, and appears to be equivalent to the black version of this model (GP-02), which shows a price of only $9.99.

Correction: The equivalent light is model GP-02-1164, which is also $14.95 at BiggerAndBetter. It features a different texture for better protection and coloring that matches the Sony Reader.

The 2-LED light is Sony model PRSLIGHT01, and has a flexible neck which is important in order to properly position for coverage and minimum glare. I can confirm that light positioning is important after using a Z-light purchased at Borders. That light works well, but I do find myself desiring more flexibility in light placement.

The product description from Sony states "Say goodbye to strained eyes and hello to the PRSLIGHT01 Flex-Neck 2 LED light. The PRSLIGHT01 is ideal for the Portable Reader, notebook computers, books and just about anywhere you need extra light. Featuring a flexible metal neck and a strong soft-touch clip, this light can grip to most surfaces and bend to precise positions for all your needs. For added convenience, the head of the Flex-Neck fits into the clip and stows easily for travel. Two bright LED lights illuminate a large area, making tasks more enjoyable. Replaceable CR2032 lithium batteries are included and provide up to 20 hours of bright light."

Features:
* 20 Hours of Bright Light with included CR2032 lithium batteries
* Two LEDs
* Flex-Neck Design

The Sony Style site also indicates that the light is "in the process of being shipped to our retail partners. Please visit sonystyle.com or a Sony Style store near you to pre-order or purchase this product now." However, it's not clear if this is a default web page artifact at the store, or an indication that it will show up in non-Sony retail outlets.

The store also gives some "remarkable" extended warranty offers for this $15 light! These rates are obviously standard tier pricing, and it doesn't make much sense for this product:
* Standard Limited Warranty [$0]
* 2 Year Replacement Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling [$17.99]
* 3 Year Replacement Plan with Accidental Damage from Handling [$24.99]
* 2 Year Replacement Plan [$10.99]
* 3 Year Replacement Plan [$14.99]

While I wouldn't recommend the extended warranties, this looks like a nice option for a Sony Reader light. If you want to save a few dollars, you might consider checking out the Bigger And Better link above, but we do not yet have any confirmation that the products are equivalent. As indicated above, the cheaper light is not equivalent.

Thanks to Xtremegene for finding the accessory at the Sony Style site, and Karen for pointing out the product equivalencies! (Btw, the product mismatch in my original post was my error, not Karen's.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Anyone have experiences with the equivalent B&B light? I know April said "it really doesn't work all that well." Is it uneven lighting? How does it affect the weight of the Reader?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've got one. It works okay -- the light pattern is a bit small for the screen, it covers it, but, of course, it's dimmer at the edges. The light also throws a lot of light out to the sides, which bothers some folks. Barnes & Noble usually stocks them, if you want to hold one in your hand, but weight really isn't an issue on these lights, they're very, um ... (wait for it) ... light.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Replaceable CR2032 lithium batteries are included and provide up to 20 hours of bright light."
Everybody seem to overlook the continued cost of batteries. The "up to 20 hours..." is probably as optimistic as Sony's claim of "up to 7500 page turns on a charge!"

I don't know the cost for two of these batteries, but they ain't cheap! Replacing two every 20 hours of reading will really add up. For me, for example, that would be about every 4-5 days. You may want to buy a gross at a time.

I got the rechargeable 4-LED one, and while it still is not as bright as I'd hoped for, at least don't have to buy batteries every week or so.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Well on the B&B site for the same model they say "30 hours of light from 2 CR2032 batteries (included)". So is it 20 or 30?

As far as the cost, it does add to it, but they are pretty cheap - for example here is 100 of them for $20 shipped, .20 a battery.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A (very) quick survey shows them available singly for $3~$5. I agree that's not terribly cheap.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Just in case anyone was thinking it, no, I am not a plant, spy, or otherwise nefarious agent of Sony. I just happened to be awake this late (again x_x) procrastinating on school work! Good things come to those who are insomniacs. (I wish.)

As I mentioned in the other thread already, the use of CR2032 batteries sort of kills the appeal of this light. If y'all check my new avatar, I found a better place to put the NexxTech light while reading: on top of my LCD monitor, angled down towards the desk. Sure, I can't lie down and enjoy reading in bed, but my setup for the light is highly versatile (three strips of tape), so I could hopefully just tape the light to the wall and angle it down.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
20 hours of power for 2 LEDs? That doesn't sound right. What kind of sorry batteries have they got in there? A single AA could probably do better...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I'd much prefer the light-wedge type of illumination, this version's a bit bulky for travel and I'm not too sure of any eye strain that might be brought on from the reflection of the light off of the screen. Course I also don't find myself reading too much where a readily availble light source if not available.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
20 hours of power for 2 LEDs? That doesn't sound right. What kind of sorry batteries have they got in there? A single AA could probably do better...
They're "coin" types, they just don't have the reaction mass to last too long (though they are much more compact than AAs ), 20 hours is actually pretty good for them.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
I suspect they are using the 2032 to keep the cost and weight of the light down. White LED's need at least 4.5 volts to illuminate, which is pretty easy to get from two 3v lithium cells. You can either regulate it down (best) or just use a resistor (cheap).

If they used 1.5v batteries (AA or AAA) they'd need three or four (depending on the run time and LED life desired). If they only used one or two to keep the light compact they'd need a "boost regulator" to step up the voltage, which is more expensive.

The 2032's are available online for about 50 cents each in single quantities. I use a couple of flashlights that are powered by CR123 lithium batteries and it's a similar quandry; relatively cheap online ($1/battery), but Tesla help you if you have to buy one at Safeway ($7!!)

Your suspicion about AA capacity vs. a 2032 is spot on. An AA battery has around 0.9 WH (Watt-hours) of capacity vs. about 0.6 for a 2032. On the other hand an AA battery is about 8x the volume of a 2032 and 9x the weight.
The biggest thing the alkaline cells have going for them compared to primary lithium cells is relatively low cost and easy availability.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
I'd much prefer the light-wedge type of illumination, this version's a bit bulky for travel and I'm not too sure of any eye strain that might be brought on from the reflection of the light off of the screen.
It does look a bit clunky, on the other hand, actually seeing the Reader in person gave me a much more favorable impression about its size and workability. I'll assume the same about the light. I'd be concerned about light reflection as well, so having some flexibility there would be key.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #13
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
It does look a bit clunky, on the other hand, actually seeing the Reader in person gave me a much more favorable impression about its size and workability. I'll assume the same about the light. I'd be concerned about light reflection as well, so having some flexibility there would be key.
One assumption I don't have to make about the light:

Round light, rectangular book reader.

I would think a light designed for the Reader would at least not invoke the classic joke of round peg for square hole.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
One assumption I don't have to make about the light:

Round light, rectangular book reader.

I would think a light designed for the Reader would at least not invoke the classic joke of round peg for square hole.
So, are you saying you want Sony to make a Reader with a round screen?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
So, are you saying you want Sony to make a Reader with a round screen?
They know all about it. Are'nt they the ones who gave you the runaround on an other thread.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote