Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
arcanekn
arcanekn began at the beginning.

Device: A good one (????)
a decent cheap ereader for Australia?

Ok first off, "Hi i'm new here" ok now thats over and done with.

can anybody give me info, link, etc. for a cheap (ie. sub AUD$500) reader?
im new to this field and i'm clueless

just one condition: the more formats its able to read the better
arcanekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
You could buy an old Palm or Windows PDA from ebay (onto which you could load software to read just about anything).

If you are looking for a dedicated reader, then the best option for an Aussie is to order one of the Sony Readers from B & N Photovideo in the USA. With Calibre, you can load just about any format on to them as well.

The exchange rate is pretty good right now (a PRS 300 will cost about $350 delivered). I have bought from them a few times and they have been professional and prompt.
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Check out DA Direct. They are located in Australia. You might want to check out the HanLin eBook forum on this site. There are some posts in there about the ECO Reader.

I have also heard only positive reviews about B & H Photo as mentioned in the previous post.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanekn View Post
just one condition: the more formats its able to read the better
Check out the ECO Reader (Hanlin v3 for the Aussie market) or the Astak Pocket Pro (Hanlin v5). Both do many formats. The v5 is also available from DA Direct in Australia, but some of our Aussie members have said it's cheaper to get it from Astak (plus there are multiple colors available from Astak).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
arcanekn
arcanekn began at the beginning.

Device: A good one (????)
well thanks for the flood of info think i will get the hanlin v5 for 3 reasons
1. linux base means i can write software for it
2. can handle most of the main file types and as Dajala said "With Calibre, you can load just about any format on to them as well."
3. see point 1
arcanekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Heya~ I am new to this ereader thing too.. and I am in Australia as well. So I have been surfing the net to look for the best ereader at the lowest price.. and I found that HanLin (ecoreader/bebook/Astak ezreader) seems like the most economical option..

I just ordered from Astak a Pocket Pro (5" aka HanLin v5) and it costs ~285AUD shipped. If you order from DA Direct, I think it will cost approximately 350AUD (and you probably have to add another 10-15 for shipping). So it is 80 dollars cheaper. I'm taking the risk, hoping that the ereader that I get will not be a defective one.. =D

I chose Astak only because it seems to have good chinese support which Sony seems to be lacking (unsure). In terms of design though, I would probably choose Sony or some other..
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote