Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
agua102
agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablet w8,android,ipad,prs1,boox92
PDF OCR output

Im using Abbyy Finereader 12 with a pdf typically 80 MB.
In the context menu appears make PDF searchable. The program make a pdf searchable of around 8 Mb. The result in a mac with a cpu i7 is cpu charge 100% anytime i turn the page. What I m doing wrong. I use PDF or pdf-a with same results.

Is there a sticky post with how to make ocr?.

Obviously the pdf in android or ipad is very slow.
I only want, at least to read in the mac. The pdf file without ocr only has 20% of cpu use.

Thank you.
agua102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by agua102 View Post
Im using Abbyy Finereader 12with a pdf typically 80 MB.
In the context menu appears make PDF searchable. The program make a pdf searchable of around 8 Mb. The result in a mac with a cpu i7 is cpu charge 100% anytime i turn the page. What I m doing wrong. I use PDF or pdf-a with same results.

Is there a sticky post with how to make ocr?.

Obviously the pdf in android or ipad is very slow.
I only want, at least to read in the mac. The pdf file without ocr only has 20% of cpu use.

Thank you.
I haven't tried out Abbyy Finereader 12 as yet, but I have noticed that quicker ocr-ing and better compression (smaller files) of Abbyy 11 usually means somewhat slower pdf rendering than for Abbyy 10's files (on e-book readers and tablets), so I usually use Adobe Acrobat's 11 ClearScan mode.

Maybe you could simultaneously use both pdfs, un-ocred and ocred (pure text rather than ocred pdf image), as you would use additional dictionaries, audio players etc. while reading.

Un-ocred for quicker reading (and handwriting without highlighting) another one for searching and word definitions.

Last edited by markom; 07-07-2014 at 07:47 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
CPU charge is not nearly as important as whether the program is running slowly or not.

CPU charge of 100% simply means your computer isn't wasting cycles on idling.

Are you suffering any slowdowns?

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-07-2014 at 07:57 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
agua102
agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.agua102 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
CPU charge is not nearly as important as whether the program is running slowly or not.

CPU charge of 100% simply means your computer isn't wasting cycles on idling.

Are you suffering any slowdowns?
Yes ... I think the problem it´s in OSX libraries or similar. Preview, Adobe readerX, Skim all cpu 100%. In Adobe reader in windows thought parallels it´s 15% cpu the same pdf.

I was searching through the apple forum comunities but any answer yet.

Note: In all version of OSX i see always "Preview" very buggy ... and its the core of the osx I think.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If AFR got the size down from 80 MB to 8 MB then the compression must be dialed up pretty high, which, like Markom said, can slow down rendering and make it CPU intensive. Is there an adjustable setting for compression in AFR?
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2014, 04:45 AM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
If AFR got the size down from 80 MB to 8 MB then the compression must be dialed up pretty high, which, like Markom said, can slow down rendering and make it CPU intensive.
Depending on the input, it could also be going from Color -> Black and White saving you a massive amount of space.

Or the when the input PDF was created, it was just uncompressed or lightly compressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Is there an adjustable setting for compression in AFR?
Nope, not that I am aware of.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
agua102

You can see a quick capture in osx.
%CPU is 225% , Idle wake ups 56 in "preview"

Click image for larger version

Name:	2ih9kky.png
Views:	453
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	125155
[Click to enlarge.]

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-09-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Oversized graphic changed to thumbnail attachment.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
agua102

the lack between capture gives 96.5% ... but it was 225%