Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
start1finish
start1finish began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 9
'This document is already on your bookshelf'

Hi,

I'm trying to use calibre companion on Nexus 7 2103, and after some trouble managed to upload books using content server in calibre. I can now see books in calibre companion without any problem.

However, when I try opening books (using the Read button in top right hand corner), this only works the 1st time I try it for each book. If I try a second time (for example if I want to re-read a book) I just get the message 'Error ! This document is already on your bookshelf', and can't open the book in calibre companion.

I can find and open the same book using an e-reader (in my case Aldilo), but this defeats the purpose of my using calibre companion for its grouping/sorting/series options.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something here ?

thanks
start1finish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
That message is coming from aldiko.

When you tell CC that you want to read a book, CC will start the reader app you chose, in your case Aldiko, telling it that you (the user) want to "view" the book. CC has no control over what that reader app does when it starts. Apparently Aldiko is interpreting CC's request to view the book as meaning "put the book on the bookshelf." Further, it seems that Aldiko is refusing to do that work a second time.

Bottom line: Aldiko is confounding a request to view a book with a request to add a book to Aldiko's bookshelf. I see three workarounds, in order of what I think works best:

1) Use a different reader that doesn't insist on copying books from CC to its own library. There are lots of them. I have tried Moon+, FBReader, Cool Reader, and Mantano. I use Moon+.

2) Remove books from Aldiko's bookshelf when you are done reading them so that the next time CC asks Aldiko to view a book, it can add it to its bookshelf again. This has the advantage of removing the extra copy of the book that Aldiko makes.

3) Use Aldiko's bookshelf exclusively. In this case CC would act only as a transport to get books onto the device. This choice has many downsides, the biggest being that Aldiko does not see all calibre metadata and cannot update the metadata without resending and reimporting the book into Aldiko.

Perhaps someone else who uses Aldiko will have other suggestions.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
start1finish

Downloaded moon+ and it seems to be working great - many thanks.

One question - in landscape view, moon+ splits my view into a 2 page display. Do you know how I can set this to show only single page (as it is in portrait view) ? I've spent the last 15 min playing with the settings and for some reason can't find this option.

And thanks again.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by start1finish View Post
One question - in landscape view, moon+ splits my view into a 2 page display. Do you know how I can set this to show only single page (as it is in portrait view) ? I've spent the last 15 min playing with the settings and for some reason can't find this option.
In miscellaneous options near the bottom, uncheck "Dual pages in landscape".

It is certainly true that moon+ has a zillion options. It is rather hard to find them all and know what they do.
Quote:
And thanks again.
You are very welcome.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
start1finish

fantastic - thanks (again) !
Advert

Tags