Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #181
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I suppose we'd better get started if we're to finish by Christmas. Are there any objections to my starting with this poll on the question, "Should each month in 2013 be unique, or should we consider repeats of certain categories?"
* Each month should be unique.
* Repeats of certain categories should be considered.
Yes yes yes.

Recommended slight rephrase:
* Each month should be a unique category or genre.
* Repeats of certain categories/genres should be considered

And then use the comments to give context and definitions--mention this is for the book club, maybe link to the selections thread, so that people who haven't seen the ongoing debates have some idea what's being voted on and why.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #182
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Yes yes yes.

And then use the comments to give context and definitions--mention this is for the book club, maybe link to the selections thread, so that people who haven't seen the ongoing debates have some idea what's being voted on and why.
I agree with a further slight modification. There was a post recently, I thought in this thread but can't find it now, to the effect that different words created a different category. I would replace the word “unique” with either “different” or “separate.” Other then that lets start with that as the first question to be put to a vote.
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #183
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I suppose we'd better get started if we're to finish by Christmas. Are there any objections to my starting with this poll on the question, "Should each month in 2013 be unique, or should we consider repeats of certain categories?"
* Each month should be unique.
* Repeats of certain categories should be considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Yes yes yes.

Good idea(s)!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #184
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Each month should be unique but it's OK to have overlaps due to the fact that some books fit in more then one category.
You mean like certain science fiction and fantasy titles?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #185
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll let this idea bake for a bit. Sometime tomorrow, if no objections have been raised, I'll start a poll.
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #186
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You mean like certain science fiction and fantasy titles?
Like I can nominate an SF book but it also fits in classic.

And you know full well that that book is Fantasy since the authoritative sources say that's what it is.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #187
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll let this idea bake for a bit. Sometime tomorrow, if no objections have been raised, I'll start a poll.
You have to start the poll today. If you wait until tomorrow, I may not be able to vote. As it is, I'll be very likely missing the vote for the book club.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #188
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
You have to start the poll today. If you wait until tomorrow, I may not be able to vote. As it is, I'll be very likely missing the vote for the book club.
I could add your vote for you if you like, since you'll be absent. Just let me know.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #189
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I like the poll options. Will the poll be hidden or open?

Also, what constitutes a repeat category? It would be good to have that clarified beforehand.

We discussed categories such as two non-fiction where one is biography and one is something else, and also how Mystery/Crime and Thriller/Suspense are essentially the same...will "repeats" include either of those?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #190
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

Also, what constitutes a repeat category? It would be good to have that clarified beforehand.

We discussed categories such as two non-fiction where one is biography and one is something else, and also how Mystery/Crime and Thriller/Suspense are essentially the same...will "repeats" include either of those?

As in my opinion are Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
As in my opinion are Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
Overall, science fiction and fantasy are different. Yes, there is some overlap, but not much.

So is The Hobbit science fiction? if so, how is it science fiction? Is Beggars in Spain fantasy? If so, how is it fantasy?

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-25-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #192
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Overall, science fiction and fantasy are different. Yes, there is some overlap, but not much.

So is The Hobbit science fiction? if so, how is it science fiction? Is Beggars in Spain fantasy? If so, how is it fantasy?
+100 !

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #193
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:

In that both are driven by impossible occurrences and/or imaginary beings and things yes. Those two items pretty much distinguish both Sci-Fi and Fantasy from other fiction. So what would you call Star Wars novels?

Last edited by Hamlet53; 10-25-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #194
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
In that both are driven by impossible occurrences and/or imaginary beings and things yes. Those two items pretty much distinguish both Sci-Fi and Fantasy from other fiction. So what would you call Star Wars novels?
I strongly disagree.. Science Fiction by its name is based on Science (and Technology), the standards being: space travel, time travel, robotics, etc. Fantasy usually deals with the fantastical, namely magic, magical beings, supernatural beings, etc. The Honor Harrington series is Science Fiction it in no way overlaps with Fantasy. The Lord of the Rings is Fantasy it in no way overlaps with Science Fiction. Many stories do overlap, but the two genres are not interchangeable.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #195
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

I don't think we need to establish what counts as a separate category in order to decide whether or not we allow duplicate categories. We can, later, decide whether two suggested categories have so much overlap that they are effectively duplicates, or whether one is a subcategory of another, and so on.

I've been told the difference between Mystery and Thriller is that Mystery is a hunt (protagonist/s must find the bad guy) and Thriller is a chase (the bad guy is after the protagonist/s). Whether those are different enough themes, given the similarity of settings, character types, and literary tropes, is potentially worth discussion; it doesn't matter for the purpose of sorting out "will every month have a different category?"

"Biography" and "other nonfiction" (whatever label we manage to find for it) are obviously two separate categories; the issue becomes "is there enough interest for two different nonfic categories?"

I don't have a neat, concise description of the difference between Fantasy and SF. I could probably go hunting for one--and still come up with several dozen books that fit into both. The "urban fantasy" genre is fast eroding any useful boundary-lines between them; however, there is definitely both a tone-and-style difference and a themes-and-tropes difference between "The Hobbit" and "Beggars in Spain."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote