Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
mst
Connoisseur
mst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Pixelated font in e-book reader when opening EPUB format

A few updates ago, I noticed that the E-book reader all of a sudden started displaying pixelated fonts for news articles. Now I noticed, that also EPUB books are displayed very pixelated. Since I only have one book in EPUB format, I only noticed now.

When I first installed Calibre, I compared the look of the E-book reader with Adobe Digital Editions, and there was almost no difference, but that has changed drastically. I attached the display of the same book in E-book reader and Digital Editions.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my systems settings, as they have not changed.

Is it possible to get the old look in E-book viewer back via changing the settings, or is this a bug?

Hope this helps.

All best, M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-text-new.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	66594   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-text-old.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	66595   Click image for larger version

Name:	configure ebook viewer.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	66596  
mst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst View Post
A few updates ago, I noticed that the E-book reader all of a sudden started displaying pixelated fonts for news articles. Now I noticed, that also EPUB books are displayed very pixelated. Since I only have one book in EPUB format, I only noticed now.
News articles downloaded in epub are epub books.

Quote:
When I first installed Calibre, I compared the look of the E-book reader with Adobe Digital Editions, and there was almost no difference, but that has changed drastically. I attached the display of the same book in E-book reader and Digital Editions.
There is no denying that there is a problem in what you're seeing.

Quote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with my systems settings, as they have not changed.
What OS are you using? My OS is Windows XP and my entire library of 5000+ books are in the epub format as is my downloaded news and I see no degraded font issue at all.

Quote:
Is it possible to get the old look in E-book viewer back via changing the settings, or is this a bug?
I don't think this is a calibre or ebook viewer thing. I just searched because I recalled another user having the same problem, it looks like that other user was you.

Considering there are 100s of thousands of folks using calibre It would seem it is something unique to your system. My guess is another program you installed around a month back caused this interference.

If I had this error I would re-image my machine.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
mst
Connoisseur

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I posted this problem before as I thought it only pertained to news, and then concluded that the issue lay with the newsfeeds.

I am using XP with SP 2. I have not installed anything new other than Calibre updates.

This is very odd, especially as nobody else is experiencing it. All my other readers, FB Reader, Digital Editions, Stanza, etc. display EPUBs with no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am using XP with SP 2. I have not installed anything new other than Calibre updates.

This is very odd, especially as nobody else is experiencing it.
It might not be that odd, everyone else is most likely using XP sp3. Go to Microsoft's page and find SP3 then upgrade to SP3 and see what happens. After upgrading to SP3 check for updates. you are ages back in your Windows build.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From the dowload page
Quote:
You can sometimes improve the readability of fonts in the calibre e-book viewer by using the Microsoft ClearType Tuner. If you feel the fonts are blurry, try using this tool.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

@wallcraft - Good Catch.

He was pointed to this in the other thread and his response was as quoted below.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
From the dowload page

Quote:
You can sometimes improve the readability of fonts in the calibre e-book viewer by using the Microsoft ClearType Tuner. If you feel the fonts are blurry, try using this tool.
I already have clear type enabled.
Judging from this response he did not attempt to go through the Cleartype tuner process, which involves more then just enabling Cleartype. Hopefully he will follow your advice and give the Cleartype tuner a try.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
mst
Connoisseur

Cleartype tuner

Thank you for the suggestions. I did go through the cleartype tuning process, albeit to no avail.

I do not want to stress this issue too much, but I believe something must have changed in the E-book viewer as to how it handles font display a few versions back. This is not a problem or criticism, I only wanted to point out that it may not agree with certain systems.

I will update to SP3 at some point, but am apprehensive to risk current functionality in my netbook which is excellent.

E-book viewer worked so great up to recently!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I did go through the cleartype tuning process, albeit to no avail.
It was worth a shot.

Quote:
I will update to SP3 at some point, but am apprehensive to risk current functionality in my netbook which is excellent.
I understand your hesitation to upgrade a OS that is working for you, but support from Microsoft for Win XP SP2 installations ended July 13, 2010. This leaves you vulnerable to many new security risks.

Good Luck.