Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Wireless (email) delivery and automatic deletion?

I'm a Calibre Fool these days, getting deeper and deeper into the capabilities of this awesome tool.

I currently have Calibre sending me emails of my feeds (news). I do have "delete downloaded news older than xxx days" checked, but that's only for USB connections, correct?

Is there any way with this wireless-type (email) set-up to have the Kindle or the feeds disappear within a schedule or am I stuck manually deleting or plugging in via USB?

Thanks,

Noah
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
I currently have Calibre sending me emails of my feeds (news). I do have "delete downloaded news older than xxx days" checked, but that's only for USB connections, correct?
No, that applies to downloaded news in your Calibre library. Calibre won't delete anything on your device unless you explicitly ask it to.

Quote:
Is there any way with this wireless-type (email) set-up to have the Kindle or the feeds disappear within a schedule or am I stuck manually deleting or plugging in via USB?
No, there isn't, and yes, you are. And, as I mentioned above, there is no way to automatically delete the news on your device even if you're using the USB connection.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Does the Kindle automatically delete Calibre-sent "issues" of our feeds/news every seven days like proper Amazon periodicals?
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
Does the Kindle automatically delete Calibre-sent "issues" of our feeds/news every seven days like proper Amazon periodicals?
I can't tell you, because I don't have a Kindle. If nobody else can answer this here, try the Kindle subforum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
This was being discussed in the Kindle section in this thread, the Kindle appears to treat the Calibre news items as if they were periodicals. It stands to reason that just like official subscriptions from Amazon the periodicals older than 7 days will be auto deleted.

A bunch of us are waiting 7 days to let our periodicals build up so we can see if this is true
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
wide-bob
wide-bob began at the beginning.

I can confirm that automatic deletion of 7 day old Calibre generated News works correctly.

EDIT - Ignore the above - I must have manually deleted my oldest news item at some stage. Retesting has confirmed that they don't auto-delete.

Last edited by wide-bob; 10-07-2010 at 01:53 PM.
wide-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
See my different experience in the previously mentioned thread (posts 11 & 15) in the Kindle subforum.

Last edited by TomF; 10-07-2010 at 03:16 PM.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
It looks like Calibre-generated newsfeeds do get automatically deleted from the Periodicals collection! After this morning's download the oldest issue was automatically deleted. I have eight issues in Periodicals, just like yesterday, and the oldest two are flagged with an exclamation point.

So the "deleted after seven days" that Amazon states is actually eight issues in Periodicals and one on the home page.

For more details see the link to the Kindle subforum in my post above.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote