Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #331
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
In theory, yes, they could become larger. That is probably part of the reason why Apple increased the cellular data download limit from 20MB to 50MB. It does also depend on how the images are drawn. You can programatically draw things, meaning it is done in code, rather than with a png / jpeg file, and that will not have the same size differential, code will be smaller.

Trying to rewrite your complete app to do this is not a small undertaking however.
There was a cellular download limit?!

Ah so code will be smaller compared to if they added separate resources but still larger than it was previous to the retina support due to the extra coding involved. I guess that's as good as reason for people to get the next larger memory sized iPad. :P

I hear there are a few complaints regarding the new iPad that are 'fairly' insignificant relative to other tablets on the market. (e.g. Higher heat output, weaker Wifi from previous models, slightly thicker and heavier) However 2 seem kinda major. 1)4G ONLY in US and Canada (I'm going to guess only the Wifi will sell well in other countries) 2)No Siri which seemed to be strongly expected (I guess it's inconsequential if you think of it as just a novelty though).

Also that trademark lawsuit in China over the iPad name seems to be iffy as to who will prevail.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #332
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
*cough* Check the App Store *cough*
Ah, I see a new version posted 3/29/2012 is there.. Why does it have a rating of 12+ for Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content or Nudity
Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor?

(^_^) I would think it's what you put on the iPxd yourself that would give it any rating.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #333
Xennex1170
Addict

I wonder if there is someone assigned to make up new awards.. Or better yet maybe they can have a contest to suggest new awards for all the Kobo devices and Apps that support the feature.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #334
verano
verano began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Yeah! With the new update this afternoon, there is at least ONE new award- the author one!!!!
verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #335
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Ah, I see a new version posted 3/29/2012 is there.. Why does it have a rating of 12+ for Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content or Nudity
Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor?

(^_^) I would think it's what you put on the iPxd yourself that would give it any rating.
I believe because you can access content that may have such an age requirement we need to do this for the app.

Quote:
I wonder if there is someone assigned to make up new awards.. Or better yet maybe they can have a contest to suggest new awards for all the Kobo devices and Apps that support the feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verano View Post
Yeah! With the new update this afternoon, there is at least ONE new award- the author one!!!!
As you can see, there is a new award! Shocking I know And no, I'm not going to tell you how to get it. Well, certainly not right now.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #336
verano
verano began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Quote:
I believe because you can access content that may have such an age requirement we need to do this for the app.

As you can see, there is a new award! Shocking I know And no, I'm not going to tell you how to get it. Well, certainly not right now.
Fair enough!
verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #337
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by verano View Post
Is this for the Kobo Touch? (hopeful glance)
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #338
foxfire
Enthusiast
foxfire began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
More than a week later and we're *still* waiting for it! I am beginning to wonder if Apple hasn't rejected this update for some reason...
apparently it is here. At least I hope this is it. I will give kobo one more chance and hopefully this fixes the bug.

Last edited by foxfire; 03-30-2012 at 12:54 AM.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 AM   #339
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
I thought perhaps the 'Gimme a quarter' notification I received earlier in the week (see my post in this thread a few days ago) was a (possibly accidental) preview of a new award
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #340
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is this for the Kobo Touch? (hopeful glance)
At present, no, the award is currently iOS only.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #341
PiersS
Enthusiast
PiersS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
At present, no, the award is currently iOS only.
oh well
PiersS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #342
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiersS View Post
oh well
Sorry.
The award is tied to something new, and as such, that new functionality would need to be present on other platforms. It is possible this functionality may appear on other platforms, I suppose it depends on it's use on iOS.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #343
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

A quick footnote to my earlier post - when I fired up the new Kobo app during a train journey earlier today, I got another notification relating to the same book: 'Halfway there'. I assume these notifications are new as I haven't seen them before (but I may be wrong on that, as it is only relatively recently that I started using the iOS app regularly). My first thought was 'why aren't these Reading Life awards?' It seems so obvious. But then I realised that there could be practical issues with creating such awards - do you issue them only for the first book a reader reaches the quarter and half way stages on and then, perhaps, only issue notifications for subsequent books? Not sure. However, the 'Once Upon A Time' award for finishing a book is in similar territory.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #344
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
A quick footnote to my earlier post - when I fired up the new Kobo app during a train journey earlier today, I got another notification relating to the same book: 'Halfway there'. I assume these notifications are new as I haven't seen them before (but I may be wrong on that, as it is only relatively recently that I started using the iOS app regularly). My first thought was 'why aren't these Reading Life awards?' It seems so obvious. But then I realised that there could be practical issues with creating such awards - do you issue them only for the first book a reader reaches the quarter and half way stages on and then, perhaps, only issue notifications for subsequent books? Not sure. However, the 'Once Upon A Time' award for finishing a book is in similar territory.
Ah, those aren't awards but simply progress notifications – you'll get them whenever you hit 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% for the first time for each book. You can go back and see them on your Activity page under Reading Life.
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #345
Cameronpaterson
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanyouthink View Post
Ah, those aren't awards but simply progress notifications – you'll get them whenever you hit 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% for the first time for each book. You can go back and see them on your Activity page under Reading Life.
Don't worry, lessthanyouthink, I figured that out I guess all I was trying to say was that I was initially confused by them. In theory at least, you could create corresponding awards

Tags
awards, reading life, touch