Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
MadChipmunk
MadChipmunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Not working kindle screen

Hello, I have a kindle with a stuck screen. I tried everything except putting screen in electric field or using high voltage DC on it. Or maybe anyone has other ideas?
MadChipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Has it been opened?

Opening the case with a sharp object such as a knife can damage the display flex cable. I have one like that (free + shipping on ebay). I can see the sliced traces when magnified. I hope to fix it with conductive ink.

Because the screen only uses electricity when it changes, perhaps the CPU or something else is frozen. You could test the screen by plugging into a different kindle. The cable swings out of the case enough to do that, which is how I was able to activate the Voice Guidel setting (Setting page 2) by plugging in the screen cable from another kindle with back off.

Kindles are surprisingly usable with only Voice Control and Text-To-Speech (and jailbreak, of course)...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
MadChipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Because the screen only uses electricity when it changes, perhaps the CPU or something else is frozen. You could test the screen by plugging into a different kindle.
It was opened after it was broken. Could it be CPU problem if only the half of screen stuck? I can still navigate and see about 1/15 of the screen working properly.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
This is a typical sign of a broken (as in hardware damage) screen. This is how e-ink breaks when it in-the-original-meaning-of-the-word "breaks".
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Have you tried calling Kindle CS?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the division between working and not working is a diagonal line, that is a sure sign of broken screen, which I read is not covered by the amazon warranty.

Your first post mentioned a "stuck screen". I have seen many posts saying the amazon replaced kindles with frozen screens. But your second post says about 1/15th working, which *could* be a damaged flex cable, but is more likely a crack in the screen (especially if diagonal non-working area)...
Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
MadChipmunk

Guys, I am not talking about replacement, I am talking about what could I do with it. I don't care about replacement.

Just what could I possibly do to revive the screen?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Can you post a picture of what your screen looks like? If it is a cracked/broken screen there is nothing you can do to fix it, except to exchange the unit or if you are very good replace it if you can find a working screen.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
geekmaster

According to this:
http://terrychay.com/article/amazon-...-failure.shtml
amazon claims that DIAGONAL damage is caused by impact and not covered under warranty.

According to this:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%2...=TxTLTXFEMNEE8
amazon sometimes replaces kindles with damaged screens.

Apparently, it depends on who you talk to at amazon.

As requested by DustyDisks, we need to see a picture (or at least a description) of the damage.