Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
kellynj
kellynj began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
EPUB vs LRF software

I haven't upgraded to Sony Reader 3.1 software yet so I've got a few questions:

What happens to all my non-Sony store books that I used Calibre to transfer into LRF format? Do I need to reformat them all again into EPUB?

What happens if I don't upgrade the software? Can I still load new books into the reader from other websites in LRF format using the non-updated software?

Having almost 800 books on the SD card - am I going to be plunged back into the nightmare of crazy numbers of hours formatting the damn books again?

I JUST got my Reader running perfectly again and they had to go and update the damn software again :-(
kellynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Nope, you won't lose your non-ePub books, and yes, you will be able to continue to buy LRF books from other sites and put them on your Reader. What you won't be able to do is buy books from the Sony store.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
kellynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Nope, you won't lose your non-ePub books, and yes, you will be able to continue to buy LRF books from other sites and put them on your Reader. What you won't be able to do is buy books from the Sony store.
Any idea what happens when I sync my Reader with the new software? Will the EPUB books just load into the Reader and open the same as the LRF ones?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
The new software is for the PC/Mac/Computer only, it doesn't do anything to the Reader itself. So, theoretically, it shouldn't change anything on the reader.

I don't know for sure, because I use Calibre almost exclusively to load/manage my books.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellynj View Post
Any idea what happens when I sync my Reader with the new software? Will the EPUB books just load into the Reader and open the same as the LRF ones?
It shouldn't, if you sync is off. I always drag and drop books onto my reader. I'm not sure what you mean by open the same though.
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I've bought a couple of ePub books which I used Calibre to change to LRF. A 3 book series. My PRS-505 kept crashing and restarting like every 50 pages or so; it was weird. I deleted all 3 LRF books from my 505 and added the puchase ePub books with no alterations and so far no crashing. I don't know why that happened.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Epub books won't load onto your Reader until you download them from the Sony store.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
lc7inc
lc7inc began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook
I've been working on trying to convert the epub format so i can put it on my prs-500. I was forced to upgrade to sony library in order to buy a book (i am going to be on the plane for a few hours). Once i bought the book, it is in epub format, which doesn't work with the prs-500 (no where when i bought the book was i told this!). So i have been trying to convert the epub to pdf so i can then convert to lrf....let me say, i think i am going to switch to the kindle after all this! I could have drove to the book store and bought the book there faster!
lc7inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc7inc View Post
I've been working on trying to convert the epub format so i can put it on my prs-500. I was forced to upgrade to sony library in order to buy a book (i am going to be on the plane for a few hours). Once i bought the book, it is in epub format, which doesn't work with the prs-500 (no where when i bought the book was i told this!). So i have been trying to convert the epub to pdf so i can then convert to lrf....let me say, i think i am going to switch to the kindle after all this! I could have drove to the book store and bought the book there faster!
You should've gotten several emails telling you to send your 500 in for a firmware upgrade. That upgrade will allow your 500 to read ePub books.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
You should've gotten several emails telling you to send your 500 in for a firmware upgrade. That upgrade will allow your 500 to read ePub books.
More details from the Sony site here - http://ebooks.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/138
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
kellynj

Thanks guys for the input. I also noticed the lag time when changing to a new chapter with the epub format - hopefully that's the only "issue"
Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Thanks guys for the input. I also noticed the lag time when changing to a new chapter with the epub format - hopefully that's the only "issue"
That's a bit expected on the 500/505 with ePub. Each chapter gets its own XHTML file (there's a couple good reasons for doing this), and the 505 has a bit of a lag opening the new file and rendering it.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote