Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
PW: changeing pages on the home screen

I now have something like 17 collections on my Paperwhite. The only way I can seem to look at pages other than page 1 is to use the go to feature. If I tap on the right side of the screen or swipe, it opens a collection. Is there an easier way to find additional pages of collections than by using Go To? (I can't imagie having to use that feature if I didn't have my books in collections - I'd have 30 pages of books in my list, and would have to guestimate where to find my books!)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Swipe left or right to change pages on the home screen; tap to open an item.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
This, as well as other helpful information, is in the User Guide.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's also in the initial tutorial, I believe.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried swiping, and it seems to open the first collection where my finger first touches down. Clearly I need to change my swiping technique.

I didn't see an initial tutorial. I had the Welcome letter and the user's guide, but that's all (well, I also had 2 dictionaries)

is there a video I can watch to improve my swiping technique? (this is my first touch screen, so I'm still a neophyte with it.)
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hmmm - I really don't know what to advise; swiping's one of those things that just works for me. The key thing is that your finger's moving. Don't touch the screen and then swipe, but swipe and touch the screen as you're doing so.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Thanks, Harry - I'll try that when I get home. Maybe if I start my finger moving before it touches the screen (does that make sense?) it'll be interpreted as a swipe rather than a tap.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that's exactly what you need to do! The fact that your finger's moving is what distinguishes a swipe from a tap.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Swipe your moving finger BELOW the list of collections - there is a blank white space between the last line of the collections and the Advertisement on the bottom of the screen. Until I found this "safe" space, I was going crazy too.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I don't have advertisements - i got rid of the special offers first thing - but when I get home I'll look for that empty space below the list of collections (I have list view).

(who says touch screens are "intuitive"? I'm having to learn a whole new way to approach this thing.)
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You don't have to swipe in an empty space. As I say, it's the fact that your finger's moving that distinguishes a swipe from a tap.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You don't have to swipe in an empty space. As I say, it's the fact that your finger's moving that distinguishes a swipe from a tap.
True - but for us "touch-impaired" folk - finding that empty space saved a PaperWhite's life! I too initially kept pressing too hard rather than swiping - and opening up stuff - until I found the "safe" empty space to swipe!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard

ok, I tried it and I think I've got the motion down now. thanks for advice, all!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Swipe up/down works also.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote