Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #31
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Thanks, I'll experiment with Word 2000 when I have time since according to this it should be possible though I've never tried it. As I said elsewhere, I've already sent it back because I'm not going to spend hours paging through hundreds of pages of epub documents to find out where the problem is. I am hoping the PB people will do so. They should.
No, we shouldn't. That is not our work, quite simply but. We want to check your hardware to make sure that there is not something kinky with your device. With 14.2 and the run of the mill FBReader, you should be able to read 99 percent of your books without a crash. If tht's not possible, we do our best to remedy to that situation. It is not our duty to make sure that every ebook in the world can be read crash free on your reader. That is simply impossible.

But apart from that, we want to make sure that everybody has the best reading experience possible with our readers.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:16 AM   #32
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
No, we shouldn't. That is not our work, quite simply but. We want to check your hardware to make sure that there is not something kinky with your device. With 14.2 and the run of the mill FBReader, you should be able to read 99 percent of your books without a crash. If tht's not possible, we do our best to remedy to that situation. It is not our duty to make sure that every ebook in the world can be read crash free on your reader. That is simply impossible.

But apart from that, we want to make sure that everybody has the best reading experience possible with our readers.
Fair enough. 99% would suit me fine. I was getting "crashes," i.e. spontaneous reboots, with 100% of what I was reading so something must be wrong -- as Waldemar confirmed on the phone. He suggested I call Anatoli first and I tried a half dozen times but got no answer so I sent it to Nürnberg. I'm anxious to see what they find...
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #33
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Fair enough. 99% would suit me fine. I was getting "crashes," i.e. spontaneous reboots, with 100% of what I was reading so something must be wrong -- as Waldemar confirmed on the phone. He suggested I call Anatoli first and I tried a half dozen times but got no answer so I sent it to Nürnberg. I'm anxious to see what they find...
That's okay. Did you put a note in your package telling the technician what's wrong? You always should do that.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #34
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
That's okay. Did you put a note in your package telling the technician what's wrong? You always should do that.
Yes, I did.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #35
mdmorrissey
Addict

Re doremifaso's suggestion above about removing unwanted code from an html file. I reconverted my epub file into rtf so I could load it into Word, but I can't find the Prepare and Inspect Document functions in my version of Word 2000 (German). Any suggestions?

Is there a way to do this on the Mac (Pages?).

Last edited by mdmorrissey; 06-14-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #36
doremifaso
Connoisseur
doremifaso began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2
I am not familar with Mac. As for Word 2000, I don't think there's an option to inspect the document, but you can view the source of a HTML file.

Hmm....when you convert epub back to rtf, I am not sure if it will create more junk or not though. If I'm you, I would convert PDF to HTML and clean it first before converting HTML to EPUB. But I am no expert. You may want to get some help from the Calibre or EPUB forum.
doremifaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #37
mdmorrissey
Addict

All of this is a lot of trouble. When I get my 360 back I think I will try to stick with PDFs. I know everybody says FBreader is better but seems to me the less conversions you make the better. The PDFs I read on my computer with AdobeReader are fine. I guess AdobeViewer and -Reader are not the same, but it seems like PDFs would be less likely to have flaws than epubs. The downloads from Gutenberg, for example, have PDF and epub beta, which may indicate the relative (in)stability of the two formats.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #38
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
When I get my 360 back I think I will try to stick with PDFs.
It is your reader, so do whatever you like with it ;-)
I just recommend you to try all options before settling on one particular format.
I know people that are reading pdf files almost exclusively, BUT those are pdf files formatted for the actual 5 inch or 6 inch screen size. If you are keen on typography, nothing can beat the layout of well formatted, hand tweaked pdf produced in [La]TeX or inDesign.
Quote:
The PDFs I read on my computer with AdobeReader are fine. I guess AdobeViewer and -Reader are not the same, but it seems like PDFs would be less likely to have flaws than epubs.
Well, PocketBook has two different applications for reading pdf files, so make sure you try out both, before deciding which one you will use.
Please note that BOTH pdf reading applications on PocketBook are very different from Acrobat Reader you use on your PC (with a monitor that is surely much, *much* bigger than 6 inch)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #39
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
All of this is a lot of trouble. When I get my 360 back I think I will try to stick with PDFs. I know everybody says FBreader is better but seems to me the less conversions you make the better. The PDFs I read on my computer with AdobeReader are fine. I guess AdobeViewer and -Reader are not the same, but it seems like PDFs would be less likely to have flaws than epubs. The downloads from Gutenberg, for example, have PDF and epub beta, which may indicate the relative (in)stability of the two formats.
I hope u get the PB back fully functional. I just take my PDFs stuff it into calibre and convert them to a epub or fb2 file. My reading experience is absolutly great. No crashes(14.2, still testing on newest 15.2), most of the times contents page (depends on PDF source).
What i do not use are PDF with tables and pictures. But no need for manual get through the file and search for anything strange.

Take ur time to play with the calibre settings, in the beginning I had often to many linefeeds between sentences. But now its like i want to.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #40
mdmorrissey
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
It is your reader, so do whatever you like with it ;-)
I just recommend you to try all options before settling on one particular format.
I know people that are reading pdf files almost exclusively, BUT those are pdf files formatted for the actual 5 inch or 6 inch screen size. If you are keen on typography, nothing can beat the layout of well formatted, hand tweaked pdf produced in [La]TeX or inDesign.

Well, PocketBook has two different applications for reading pdf files, so make sure you try out both, before deciding which one you will use.
Please note that BOTH pdf reading applications on PocketBook are very different from Acrobat Reader you use on your PC (with a monitor that is surely much, *much* bigger than 6 inch)
I only had one PDF reader (AdobeViewer) and one FBreader. Don't know what it will come back with.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #41
mdmorrissey
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzelbrain View Post
I hope u get the PB back fully functional. I just take my PDFs stuff it into calibre and convert them to a epub or fb2 file. My reading experience is absolutly great. No crashes(14.2, still testing on newest 15.2), most of the times contents page (depends on PDF source).
What i do not use are PDF with tables and pictures. But no need for manual get through the file and search for anything strange.

Take ur time to play with the calibre settings, in the beginning I had often to many linefeeds between sentences. But now its like i want to.
Well, that's all I was doing, too, except (as you may recall) for experimenting a little with dictionaries. I was getting the same spontaneous reboots that people talk about getting with 15.x though I had 14.2. So I hope they can fix it.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #42
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I only had one PDF reader (AdobeViewer) and one FBreader. Don't know what it will come back with.
PocketBook has always had
pdfviewer and
AdobeViewer
application for viewing pdf files even in 14.2 firmware that was the default firmware for models sold in october 2009 or even before that.
Have a look at my detailed review back in Nobember 2009.

Load a Non-DRM-infested pdf file into your reader, navigate to the file in library, press AND hold the OK button until you get the menu, choose Open With menu item and here you can choose pdfviewer and AdobeViewer.

You can use R:\system\config\extensions.conf file to affect those choices, or make one of those default for opening the pdf file.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote