Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #16
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Maybe I should remove the pictures.
(I moved them to photobucket. He has several more at his blog.)

Last edited by BenG; 10-29-2009 at 11:54 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #17
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
ACK!

So much by Lin Carter STINKS, and you will too if you read his entire oeuvre.

He was a Great Editor, but my God a lot of this man's writing really, really stinks.
Still, an author with the nerve to name a major character "Herpes Zoster" deserves some sort of prize IMHO. Note that I don't specify what sort of prize.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #18
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Some of you will give me crap for this but I propose avoiding Stephen R. Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series. It wasn't badly written but I guess I just need SOMEONE to empathize with. I think all it did was give me a headache (as did some of Tolkien's meanderings but THAT at least had a payoff).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Some of you will give me crap for this but I propose avoiding Stephen R. Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series. It wasn't badly written but I guess I just need SOMEONE to empathize with. I think all it did was give me a headache (as did some of Tolkien's meanderings but THAT at least had a payoff).
I hear it's good for clench racing, though.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
Those covers are too funny.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I read about a quarter of the first book and gave up.
Richard's brothers' speech near the beginning invoking memories of his murdered father to manipulate the crowd ruined the book for me after I realized that the speech would best be read by Jim Carrey in "Ace Ventura" mode.

Hilarity and Creativity - the two things I most admire in people - and which seem to be so absent in everyone.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time is a huge waste of time as far as I am concerned. It just drags on, and on, and on, and on, and... well, you get the picture.

I think it's one of the most overrated fantasy series of all time.

Yeah, I'll have to agree with you on this.

I was playing with words 6 months ago, making up titles for books and films, which shook up a certain segment of the "Brainiac Mentality." I called it the "Wheelbarrow of Time," about trundling manure back and forth.

Don
Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to disagree with the assessment on Mercedes Lackey, Stephen R. Donaldson, and Terry Brooks. They are quite good. I'm sorry you (you know who you are) cannot see this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #24
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
How dare you! I think I will --- completely agree with you.

I know, I'm a bit simple-minded, but I like my heroes to be heroic. Thomas Covenant failed at that in my book and I didn't enjoy it at all.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #25
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Jack Chalker's Well of Souls ( I think that is what it was) series really turned me off.

I'll read most anything in science fiction and fantasy, and the first one was average, but enjoyable. Somewhere in there however, it just got too uncomfortable for me.

In one of the books, the main character had a female companion who had no legs and no arms and was completely dependent on our hero for everything. In another book there was a female character who was physically mature but mentally deficient. She was under complete control of the lead character.

Maybe, someone who finished the series will tell me who Chalker turned it around in the end. Possibly we'll find out that these female 'slaves' were hiding super mind powers and were in control the entire time -- or some other nonsense. The bottom line for me is that even if the conclusion was good, the trip to get their was too painful.

I'm not into this complete subservience thing whether its male/female or King/peon. For me it only works is the POV is the undertrodden and we get to see them breaking free.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #26
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to disagree with the assessment on Mercedes Lackey, Stephen R. Donaldson, and Terry Brooks. They are quite good. I'm sorry you (you know who you are) cannot see this.
Don't be sorry, there are plenty of other books for me to read.
Oh, and I did like the Covenant books when I read them 30 years ago. I also liked his mirror series. I forget what they were called.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You realize, I'm sure, that he could say the exact same manner of phrase to YOU: "I'm sorry you (you know who you are) cannot see this."

Regardless, I find it fascinating that we (everyone here on this thread) can share such diverse views about books and authors, and still get along. For me, that's what's fun.

Don
Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 AM   #28
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Robert Newcomb. Formulaic dreck from start to as far as I could be bothered to read.

Quote:
can share such diverse views about books and authors
And agree that some are just truly bad.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #29
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You realize, I'm sure, that he could say the exact same manner of phrase to YOU: "I'm sorry you (you know who you are) cannot see this."

Regardless, I find it fascinating that we (everyone here on this thread) can share such diverse views about books and authors, and still get along. For me, that's what's fun.

Don
Well, if the books that bias us toward one direction or the other are different ones, it's not so strange !
Then you have to consider the gender of the reader. I think there is fantasy that will be appreciated more by women than men, and the opposite is true too...

PS : As for Mercedes Lackey, the only one I read (I have some in my TBR list, and one started) is "Tiger Burning Bright", with Marion Zimmer Bradley and Andre Norton, and I really enjoyed it !

Last edited by Idoine; 10-30-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I don't like Donaldson - his books are very well written but completely unpleasant to read. Terry Brooks annoys me - I liked him well enough at 13 but not now. I thought Jordan lost control of the story around the third volume. (I remember reading a passage and it felt like nothing happened for a hundred pages - and then the same nothing happened for another hundred pages to the same characters later on.)

I do have a particular dislike for Weis and Hickman - I find their prose style excruciatingly painful to read.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote