Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 AM   #22411
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Oh my! Hadn't heard about this one! Bet you are even more motivated to get out of there!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #22412
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
In '71 I survived the San Fernando quake (6.6) living just a few miles from the epicenter. Emptied all our shelves but did no structural damage.

In '94 I was visiting some friends in L.A., just in time for the Northridge Quake (6.7) that did so much damage to that side of L.A

In '95, a quake registering 7.2 just about flattened the city of Kobe, an hours drive from where I was living. Again, emptied all our shelves, knocked over chairs, did no structural damage to our house, but wiped out all the windows in the University I was teaching at, and cracked a few walls.

I'm getting tired of earthquakes.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 AM   #22413
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
In '71 I survived the San Fernando quake (6.6) living just a few miles from the epicenter. Emptied all our shelves but did no structural damage.

In '94 I was visiting some friends in L.A., just in time for the Northridge Quake (6.7) that did so much damage to that side of L.A

In '95, a quake registering 7.2 just about flattened the city of Kobe, an hours drive from where I was living. Again, emptied all our shelves, knocked over chairs, did no structural damage to our house, but wiped out all the windows in the University I was teaching at, and cracked a few walls.

You need to live somewhere that's further from the tectonic plate edges. Or at least where they're not moving so much!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #22414
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

Stitchawl
And to think I was considering inviting you to visit our place....
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #22415
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Earth quakes seem to follow me around. Perhaps me visiting ANYWHERE isn't a good idea. I was in Thailand for the big tsunami that killed thousands, in Japan for the tsunami that killed thousands...

Maybe I'm an X-Man and just haven't learned how to control my powers? Where is Dr. Xavier when we need him?

Stitchawl
Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #22416
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know a thing or two about earthquakes. Southern California had a bunch for 4-6 point ones when I was there. I felt the Loma Prieta Quake (world series) quake in Stockton. I have felt quakes in Michigan and Virginia.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #22417
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
We leave almost next to the church tower and since earlier this week they changed the tune played every quarter past and before the full hour to "La Donna e Mobile" (just the tune of those 4 words) and since then I have that song in my head! It isn't as annoying as when they played the theme tune to a popular soap opera every half past the full hour but it's getting there!
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #22418
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Lucas has an ear infection. (Pouts)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #22419
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
We leave almost next to the church tower and since earlier this week they changed the tune played every quarter past and before the full hour to "La Donna e Mobile" (just the tune of those 4 words) and since then I have that song in my head! It isn't as annoying as when they played the theme tune to a popular soap opera every half past the full hour but it's getting there!
I'm not a Christian, but there seems to be something sacrilegious about playing a tune from soap opera on a church bell!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #22420
Stitchawl
Opsimath

In Japan, all announcements are made after playing Westminster Chimes. ALL announcements... There are a LOT of announcements made in Japan... Train stations, department stores, schools, etc. I used to love the Westminster chimes...

Stitchawl
Old 04-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #22421
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
In Japan, all announcements are made after playing Westminster Chimes. ALL announcements... There are a LOT of announcements made in Japan... Train stations, department stores, schools, etc. I used to love the Westminster chimes...
You've reminded me of a childhood rhyme. I wonder if it was widespread?

Ding, dong, ding dong
Your head's gone wrong
Two screws are loose
Your head's no use

<rant>I'm getting old!</rant>
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #22422
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm not a Christian, but there seems to be something sacrilegious about playing a tune from soap opera on a church bell!
I don't know if the tower is still officially part of the church. The (unfinished) nave between the tower and church was destroyed by a tornado over 300 years ago. The tourist board takes care of the tower, not the church (both are customers at our store), and although they often work together I think they are two different organizations.

Other tunes often chosen for time keeping are songs from Mary Poppins and the Sound of Music. On Saturday morning the carillon player always plays live. When there is a holiday it plays that type of music, when there isn't a holiday soon the player selects the music. Last year we got a new carrilon player and she selects much more popular tunes than her predecessor. I think a couple of weeks ago she played Lady Gaga!

Also once a month there is a carillon concert, often the carillon player plays in duet with other musicians or even a dj.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #22423
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Stitchawl
My secondary school used that tune to signal the start and end of classes and it was also used to start and end announcements over the speaker system. Announcements in public place are usually preceded by a two or three tone chime.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #22424
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You need to live somewhere that's further from the tectonic plate edges. Or at least where they're not moving so much!
Yeah, living on the Ring of Fire is just asking for trouble.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #22425
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Well I'm late to the party: Just heard that Michael Bay was going to direct a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.... Dear god somebody just kill me. Or better yet, kill Michael Bay before he has a chance to murder another one of my childhood memories.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness