Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #361
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
I'm in the process of listening to David Saurez "Kill Decision" which IMO is nowhere near as entertaining as his two previous books.

I started "House of Silk" which was a Sherlock Holmes novel, but simply could not get interested.

Next up is "Island of the Sequined Love Nun" or "The Cassandra Project". Haven't definitely decided.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #362
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Jane Austen's "Northanger Abbey" read by Nadia May
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #363
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'd listen to the London phone book read by Nadia May. (Real name, Wanda McCaddon. She also writes as Donada Peters. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #364
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I finished the audiobook of Kafka on the Shore. I was really loving it but the ending didn't really come together for me. Gorgeous writing but I still have no idea what it was about. Maybe I would've been better served reading this one instead of listening to it, although the narrator was good?

I wasted an Audible credit on The Drowning Girl by Caitlin Kiernan. Neil Gaiman approved and I share a first name with the author? I thought I would like it. I couldn't listen to more than 10 minutes of it before giving up. It was not the narrator, I think, she had a nice voice. I just couldn't get into the story at all.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #365
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I wasted an Audible credit on The Drowning Girl by Caitlin Kiernan. Neil Gaiman approved and I share a first name with the author? I thought I would like it. I couldn't listen to more than 10 minutes of it before giving up. It was not the narrator, I think, she had a nice voice. I just couldn't get into the story at all.
Audible lets you return the audiobook and get your credit back if you want.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #366
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Audible lets you return the audiobook and get your credit back if you want.
Thanks! I'll have to try and do that.

The library had several Murakami titles available on eAudio. I got The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I only got to listen to about 20 minutes of it as I spend the night at my cousin's on my "swing shift" night due to my terrible commute. Kafka on the Shore, as I mentioned, did leave me scratching my head but I still appreciated the lovely writing so I'm up for more Murakami.

I am going to digress and just say how much I love my public library system. I (and other residents of my Parish) are so lucky. We're the wealthiest Parish bordering New Orleans and have a well-funded system with a great collection and many branches. They actually have more eBooks and eAudiobooks than the New Orleans Public Library has!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #367
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
The library had several Murakami titles available on eAudio. I got The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I only got to listen to about 20 minutes of it as I spend the night at my cousin's on my "swing shift" night due to my terrible commute. Kafka on the Shore, as I mentioned, did leave me scratching my head but I still appreciated the lovely writing so I'm up for more Murakami.
Let us know how you like the Wind-up Bird Chronicle, it's on my 'read soon' list (and my library wishlist) and I got the audiobook of 1Q84 from Audible during a sale for my husband. I haven't attempted either yet due to their size.

Quote:
I am going to digress and just say how much I love my public library system. I (and other residents of my Parish) are so lucky. We're the wealthiest Parish bordering New Orleans and have a well-funded system with a great collection and many branches. They actually have more eBooks and eAudiobooks than the New Orleans Public Library has!
I love mine too. I don't mind paying more taxes, since we get nice things like well-stocked libraries for them. There are as many ebooks/audiobooks in my library as in those in the US with 5 or 10 times the population base.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #368
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just picked up Pournelle's Janissaries and West of Honor. These are two books that really got me interested in reading Pournelle's books. Unlike many SF readers, I started reading the Niven/Pournelle books because of Pournelle, not Niven. It really is nice seeing all these old classics coming out on audible. Hopefully, if they do well, the rest of the Fauklenberg stories will follow. I'm not familiar with either reader, but both have pleasant sounding voices.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #369
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've been re-reading the Vorkosigan books of Lois McMaster Bujold, and I've switched to reading them on Audible. Just finished Ethan of Athos. An oddity, in that Miles never appears but enjoyable. The main Dendari in it is Ellie Quin. Recommend.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #370
Synamon
Lunatic

I haven't posted about what I've listened to in a while, although I think I've mentioned some of these instead in the "What Are You Reading" thread. Listed most recent first:

I finished Pearl S. Buck's The Good Earth this morning, fascinating and depressing story of a hard life in pre-revolutionary China. I learned that hunger equals despair, money corrupts, and it was a very bad idea to be born female (which I already knew, but not necessarily how bad).

Before that was Skios by Michael Frayn, a farce set on a Greek island that was shortlisted for the Booker this year. I felt a bit cheated by the denouement, since the con-artist didn't get confronted. All's well that ends??

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley was my favorite of this bunch. Slightly supernatural thriller that was silly and cool. It might have been a bit of a literary cheat, but I loved the letters from the previous Myfanwy Thomas to her "replacement".

Discovery of Witches and Shadow of the Night by Deborah Harkness, the first two books of the All Souls Trilogy. Too much vampire stuff and not enough magic for my taste, plus the romance was lame (a la Twilight). The historical references were interesting and redeemed the books somewhat. My husband raved about the first one; it's his genre, not mine, so feel free to disregard my comments if vampire books are your thing.

The Picture of Dorian Grey was engrossing and easy to listen to for a classic. The cynicism of Lord Henry Wotton as Oscar Wilde's quotable voice was an excellent contrast to the other characters. My second favourite of the bunch.

Peter May's first two Enzo MacLeod thrillers, Dry Bones and The Critic. These are slightly unbelievable puzzle oriented mysteries, set in France with a curmudgeonly Scottish forensic scientist. Enzo's predilection for young women makes him less charming than he thinks, but the setting and the puzzles are fun.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #371
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
I just finished Ernest Cline's Ready Player One. It's a lot of fun, even if I'm sure I got less than half the references.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #372
Eurydice
Nameless Being

I've just started Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, narrated by Susan Ericksen. I've been trying to consciously choose to read more literary classics lately and I've never listened to an audiobook before, so this a two-fold new experience for me. I'll admit that I was caught off-guard by it being a seventeen-hour-long audiobook, but I'm sure that's probably an average size.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #373
sgoldin
SF/Fantasy Author
sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgoldin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Seventeen hours is a bit longer than the average book, but Susan Ericksen is, IMO, the very best narrator in the business. You're in great hands...er, voice. She makes the characters come alive. Enjoy her work, as well as Bronte's.
sgoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #374
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Finished listening to "The Cassandra Project" by Jack McDevitt and Mike Resnick and was very disappointed. Way too much political meandering and too little science fiction. A real letdown from his normally excellent work.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #375
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Finished listening to "The Cassandra Project" by Jack McDevitt and Mike Resnick and was very disappointed. Way too much political meandering and too little science fiction. A real letdown from his normally excellent work.
Thanks for the warning. I have it on my wish list, even though I wasn't too thrilled by the Kindle sample I have read. I think this might be a McDevitt book I won't read.

I have been finishing the following audiobooks in the past two weeks:

The Red Tree by Caitlin R. Kiernan
Strange story about a writer trying to finish a book, but apparently she is slowly losing her mind through the course of the story. I liked it a lot, but I generally like books that have a lot of atmosphere rather than action. I guess it might not be to everyone's taste. This was performed by a multiple cast, most of it read by Katherine Kellgren. They all did a wonderful job.

Cold Revenge by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
A real mess, if you ask me. I used to like the Agent Pendergast series a lot, but I had the impression that the authors are losing their touch. A highly convoluted, unbelievable plot with a few good bits scattered around. I listened to this in German and the narrator didn't do anything to make it better (though he is one of the most prolific narrators of German audiobooks).

Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper
This is actually the first book in her The Dark is Rising sequence. Not nearly as good as the the book that gave the series its name, but a decent listen, if you like this kind of thing. It's about three siblings spending their holidays in Cornwall where they find a strange manuscript.

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
I picked this up at the Audible daily deals. It's about a family trying to get away from Christmas for a change, but you can already guess how this will turn out. It was read by Dennis Boutsikaris, who is a fairly competent reader able to carry you through a mediocre story.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations