Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #106
rmagere
rmagere began at the beginning.

Device: Android Phone, Android Tablet, iPhone, Kindle PW 1st gen
An example would be: "Nudi e crudi" by Alan Bennett (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...4-nudi-e-crudi) which is the italian translation of "The Clothes They Stood Up In" (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...ey_Stood_Up_In).

I would love for the book in my calibre library to have the tags from "The Clothes..." without having to link it to that edition as the correct edition is the one in the 1st link.
I was not sure if the plugin had ways to utilise the information from "original title" to find its way to the 2nd link.

However I realise it is (probably) very much outside the scope of the plugin itself.

[Edit additional comment below]
Fundamentally the shelves are much better (and richer) when dealing with english books (whether original or translations) and I would like foreign editions to benefit from such richness rather than having to rely on the limited data present in foreign editions (e.g. the only shelf that "Nudi e crudi" has is i-migliori which translates to "the better ones").

Last edited by rmagere; 06-05-2012 at 08:26 AM.
rmagere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #107
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagere View Post
An example would be: "Nudi e crudi" by Alan Bennett (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...4-nudi-e-crudi) which is the italian translation of "The Clothes They Stood Up In" (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...ey_Stood_Up_In).

I would love for the book in my calibre library to have the tags from "The Clothes..." without having to link it to that edition as the correct edition is the one in the 1st link.
I was not sure if the plugin had ways to utilise the information from "original title" to find its way to the 2nd link.

However I realise it is (probably) very much outside the scope of the plugin itself.
It is beyond the plugin, but you can achieve this manually.

Open the metadata editor for the book. In the "Ids" field look for "goodreads:". Record the number that is after this. This is the reference back to the book on Goodreads. Replace this number with number for the English version. From the links provided, this should be "272434". Then press the "Download Metadata" button to fetch the metadata for the English book. After this, replace the Goodreads id with the saved number.

It is a little bit of fiddling, but it will achieve what you want.

Also, if you want to keep references to both editions, one can be saved as a url. For this, add the following to the "Ids" field:

uri:http|//www.goodreads.com/book/show/272434
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #108
rmagere

Thanks for your suggestion: it's a bit overly fiddly to do for all the books - I guess I will only apply for the books from now on
Old 06-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #109
zambucco
zambucco began at the beginning.

Device: Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@zambucco - welcome to MobileRead.

No this is not yet possible, for the reason state in the post just above yours.
@kiwidude, thanks for the speedy and polite reply. Feel a bit of a fool, asking the question before reading the posts!

Just to clarify, you can search this field in Goodreads, but the result can't be set to a custom column in Calibre?
If I am correct (I'm not saying I am) :-) Would it be possible a. to use as a tag or b. include in the book info?

I'm not sure why I want this as whenever I read an 'award' winner I'm usually slightly disappointed!

Keep up the good work
zambucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #110
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@zambucco - there is no possible way to return this informaiton consistently. As calibre has some funky "merging" logic internally for the results of a metadata download across all the plugins you have enabled. So you can never (uness you only have one plugin enabled and/or have the field disabled for all the other plugins) guarantee that a tag or a description from one particular website is going to make it through to the end result that you see displayed on the download metadata dialog for setting against your book.

It is a calibre design limitation for metadata download plugins, one day someone will invest the time to come up with an enhanced API but until then the only real way around it is to write a standalone plugin to specifically download that sort of information and put it into a custom column. For instance someone one paid me to write a plugin that downloads the exact review score (with decimal places) and # reviews from Amazon and Goodreads to put into a custom column.

And yes I also find that award winners often do not live up to the hype either - but its always a bonus to find a cracking good book when one does
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #111
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Not sure if this is temporary problem, but tag downloading appears to be broken. Tested on a book known to work previously, the log just shows it skipped over tags.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #112
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@uli - thanks for reporting this, I'm seeing the same behaviour. Most likely Goodreads made a change to their website again, I'll have to take a closer look...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #113
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.1.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Updated to match Goodreads website change which stopped tags being downloaded
  • Change to the comments to no longer strip paragraph breaks
Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #114
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.1.2 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Reject editions that do not match in title (such as different languages) and handle non-ascii characters better
  • Fix to handle books with short descriptions since Goodreads website change
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #115
rmagere

Hi Kiwidude,

I was wondering had you not introduced the feature below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Changes in this release:
  • Reject editions that do not match in title (such as different languages)
Would it have been possible to achieve what I mentioned in a previous post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagere View Post
Just checking if not I'll keep using davidfor's suggestion
Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #116
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@rmagere - No, it has no relevance. The change I mades was to do with editions, the example you gave does not have the books linked to each other in any way.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #117
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
@rmagere: Translations of books are meant to be combined with the original, but sometimes the one who adds them to Goodreads don't do this.

I combined your example, Nudi e crudi with the original, The Clothes They Stood Up In. You should now get the most popular tags from all editions (as long as you have the tags correctly mapped in the plugin-configuration).

To combine books on Goodreads, unless you add them yourself, ask in the librarians group.

Or if you know of a lot of books that needs to be combined, maybe become a librarian yourself? Anyone with a certain number of books shelved (50?) can ask to become one. For tips on being a librarian, you can read the librarian manual.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #118
rmagere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
@rmagere: Translations of books are meant to be combined with the original, but sometimes the one who adds them to Goodreads don't do this.
[skipped]
For tips on being a librarian, you can read the librarian manual.
Thanks - I was not aware that translations were meant to be combined.
This is a great suggestion and I'll look into it (furthermore it will help other users and not only my personal library)
Old 07-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #119
irandamay
irandamay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad 3, iPhone 5S
Double plugin?

I am using Calibre 0.8.60 on OSX and version 1.1.2 of the plugin. I have tried installing it both through the plugin manager and also the manual way with the zip file. Every time I install it, though, I end up with 2 copies of the plugin in my plugin manager. When I do metadata downloads it always says that it's downloading from "Goodreads, Goodreads, Google, Amazon.com, ISBNDB". I have tried disabling one copy of the plugin to make it only use the plugin once, but disabling one of them seems to disable both.

Downloading from Goodreads twice wouldn't really be too much of an issue, I guess, except that it always gives me an error when it gets to the cover download part. Here is the error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 208, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/worker.py", line 125, in single_covers
OSError: [Errno 17] File exists: 'Goodreads,,290,,475,,jpeg.cover.done'
Any suggestions on how I might get only one copy of this plugin installed?
irandamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #120
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@irandamay - I have no idea how even installing "two copies" of the plugin is possible? You haven't been experimenting by writing your own plugin and copy/pasted in the Goodreads plugin name or something? Can you think of any other metadata download plugins you installed recently that were *not* by me?

Go to Preferences -> Miscellaneous -> Open calibre configuration directory. Bring open the plugins subfolder. Delete whatever Goodreads zip files you have in there (You can ignore "Goodreads Sync.zip" if you have it installed as that is a safely different plugin). Restart calibre and look at the list of plugins you have installed - does it still show Goodreads? If not, now install the Goodreads plugin again and you should be fine.

Tags
goodreads, metadata