Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Sometimes double letters get lost

I noticed that when converting some PDF into an RTF file the conversion sometimes looses a letter in a word, like a word with a double 'l'. For example the word 'wollen' becomes 'wol en'. Its not consequent so I'm unsure if here are other factors involved. I haven't checked the same PDF to another format though.

Anyone noticed this before?
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
I noticed that when converting some PDF into an RTF file the conversion sometimes looses a letter in a word, like a word with a double 'l'. For example the word 'wollen' becomes 'wol en'. Its not consequent so I'm unsure if here are other factors involved. I haven't checked the same PDF to another format though.

Anyone noticed this before?
The sticky says:
"Various character pairs like 'ff', 'll', etc are missing from my conversion
This is probably caused by the PDF containing what are called ligatures. These occur when the publisher changes certain pairs of characters into a single character to make the text 'look better'. Common are 'll', 'fl', 'fi', 'ff', 'ffl', and 'ffi'. Unfortunately, due to a bug in the third party library Calibre uses, in many cases ligatures simply aren't supported. Several users have reported having good luck with Mobipocket Creator or Acrobat Professional for these types of files."

Some searching here may turn up more info on how to work around this problem.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
I thank you, I overlooked that and assumed it was some rare problem.
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote