Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
ADE error

Recently I have been getting the following error when downloading books from both Kobobooks.com and the library.

Error creating backup file: C:\Users\myname\Documents\My Digital Editions\backup_manifest.xml
Error detail: Error #2038

It used to happen about once a month or so but now it seems to happen almost 50% of the time. It's driving me insane as sometimes I need to download the book again and then I end up with multiple copies of the book.

I used to think it happened with books that I "bought" from Kobo without paying (ie either free books or books where I used a discount code that reduced the price to zero.) However I now think that was just a coincidence because as it has become more frequent it has occurred both with real purchases and also with library books.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get rid of this error?

Thanks
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
As I recall, 2038 is a very generic I/O error. Either your hard drive is sick, full, or the ADE install has gone bad. I'd definitely start with a re-install of ADE and see if that helps.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Before reinstalling ADE, try just deleting the Restore folder in your "My Digital Editions" folder, as this has worked for some people who had the same problem.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have deleted the Failed folder which had 3 files in it from my Restore Folder. There is also a Books folder and a Tasks folder which are both empty. Should I delete these empty folders and the actual Restore folder as well?

If I need to reinstall ADE does anyone know what happens to my books? Will they still be there or will I need to download them again? I have all my purchased books backed up so it doesn't really matter - just curious?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #5
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try just deleting the whole Restore folder. (You can always restore it from your Recycle bin if it doesn't work or causes a problem.)
Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Try just deleting the whole Restore folder. (You can always restore it from your Recycle bin if it doesn't work or causes a problem.)
Or you can just move it out of the Kobo directory temporarily if you're nervous about losing it. (I moved mine to the Desktop. That solved the problem, so I went ahead and deleted the folder.)
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
HarleyB
Fanatic

Thanks for all the suggestions. The next book I downloaded after deleting the Failed folder worked but I went ahead and deleted the Restore folder anyway. ADE still works and the next book also downloaded properly. As this was only ever an intermittent error I'm not sure whether it's fixed or not?
Unfortunately I can't borrow anymore library books right now (too many on the waitlist that I just KNOW will magically appear if I borrow my full quota!) so I will look through Kobo's free list for something to "buy" as I've already spent my book allowance this week too!
Thanks again for all the help. HarleyB
Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
NightBird
Wizard

Yes, I would keep trying it over a few days before deleting out of your recycle bin. Keep us posted!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
HarleyB
Fanatic

OK so after buying and borrowing a few more books I have had the error once again

I'm now thinking I will need to reinstall ADE. Can anyone tell me what happens to my books when I do that? I'm more curious than anything as I do have my purchased books backed up and I suppose I can just redownload any library books I have borrowed.

Any ideas on what causes this error? Have I done something wrong?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
If the previous fix worked, why not try that before going to all the trouble of reinstalling ADE?

I think some books are just persnickety. I've had issues with time-sensitive material, too. It can cause problems with ADE sometimes.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
NightBird
Wizard

Sorry that didn't work for you. I don't know what is causing the error but I'm sure it's nothing you are doing wrong.

You can try posting in this thread and see if anyone has come in with anything new:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/314971

You can try contacting Adobe support.

You won't lose your books by reinstalling ADE.

Last edited by NightBird; 05-17-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I'm now thinking I will need to reinstall ADE. Can anyone tell me what happens to my books when I do that? I'm more curious than anything as I do have my purchased books backed up and I suppose I can just redownload any library books I have borrowed.

Any ideas on what causes this error? Have I done something wrong?
As I previously said, it's an I/O error. ADE is having difficulty writing to your hard disk. Either your disk is damaged or (more likely) ADE itself is hosed. Simply sync all active library e-loans over to your kobo and reinstall ADE.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
The normal cause for this is a timing problem where AV software is not allowing ADE to write to the backup file (because it is scanning it, since it was just created). One solution for this is (if you can) to tell your AV software not to scan that directory.

Reinstalling ADE won't help.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
3d0g
I make fjords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
The normal cause for this is a timing problem where AV software is not allowing ADE to write to the backup file (because it is scanning it, since it was just created). One solution for this is (if you can) to tell your AV software not to scan that directory.

Reinstalling ADE won't help.
No AV software would EVER do a write lock on a file. Sorry, this can't be the cause.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
No AV software would EVER do a write lock on a file. Sorry, this can't be the cause.
While the write lock may or may not be the issue ( lets not get into what bugs programs may have ...), going out on a real limb (especially with my memory), it was a read lock preventing deleting the old file and recreating the new backup file.

This was the one (and only) reproducible cause for the problems in creating the backup manifest file I remember for this bug that we had found, before I left Adobe, and it was definitely a conflict with AV software - (Kapersky or ClamAV - but there my memory is definitely sketchy).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote