Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
TheNlightenedOne
TheNlightenedOne began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Questions about PRS+

There are probably only two thousand threads about this, but I have a few questions.
1. What do you gain from installing PRS+?
2. What are the risks?
3. Is PRS+ worth it?
4. How do you unbrick a PRS-950 in the worst case scenario?

Thanks.
TheNlightenedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
The gains are pretty much summed up on the homepage, so I would read there. However:

1. The ability to use and browse folders, the ability to disable SD card scanning, menu customisation, custom fonts, and a near infinite amount (well, it seems that way) of other customisation possibilities.

2. No idea, I've never had anything go wrong.

3. Worth it? It's free and hugely expands the possibilities of the reader. How could it not be worth it?

4. No idea.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I did it to my 600. The extra functionality is excellent. I had no issues so have had no need to go back. YMMV.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
TheNlightenedOne
TheNlightenedOne began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
Thanks so much. I just installed it. It's amazingly awesome!
TheNlightenedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
You're right TheNlightenedOne--it was amazingly aawesome. I have it installed on both my 650 and my 350. It just makes the reader so much better! One of my favorite features is the clock in the bottom right of the screen.

And I know there have been a few reports of batteries quickly draining after installing PRS+. Luckily this didn't happen to either of my readers, but it did to a friend's reader. And just for the record, she was able to uninstall PRS+ and go back to factory settings without any problems.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
950, prs, prs+, prs-950