Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use your reader in bed?
I use it in bed with no issues. 84 75.68%
I use it in bed but I take precautions. 19 17.12%
I don't use it in bed. 6 5.41%
I use to or want to, but I don't use it in bed now. 2 1.80%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Does falling asleep while reading in bed disqualify me from owning a reader?

I don't have a reader yet but I've recently picked up on reading again after a long stretch spanning two kids and am thinking of getting one. Anyway, I've noticed that if I try to read in bed, I may fall asleep unexpectedly. Perhaps my mind is thinking I'm reading Curious George again to my kids for the 1000th time and is shutting down to protect itself. The other night, I must have read a paragraph of a new novel before I woke up with it on the floor beside me.

I was looking to getting a reader but I'm afraid that I may wake up to find it with a smashed screen beside my bed. Perhaps I should wait for the non-glass devices but the upcoming ones are very large (que, skiff) and likely large in price as well. So any prone-to-sleep bed readers have to change their reading habits to keep their reader functional? I'm thinking I may need to put a pillow on the floor next to my bed.

Last edited by badbob001; 02-08-2010 at 06:01 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Go ahead and get one - reading in bed is one of the places I like best because of my kindle.

Since I have to switch off the light, or switch off my reading light, I slip it into the belkin case, and drop my arm off the side of the bed. We have a relatively low bed, so it doesn't drop very far. This morning my wireless headphones fell on top of it, and it made an awful noise, but it was fine.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I read in bed all the time, but I put both of my eReaders on a tether. That keeps me from dropping them.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My cat loves to rub on my Pocket Pro when I read in bed.
Of coarse, it is a Kitty requirement to stand on the person reading while rubbing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Ya gotta read before sleep, it's just one of those things....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I read in bed with my Zodiac every night and have never dropped it on the floor yet, even when I'm not using the wrist lanyard. Usually I manage to put it on the nightstand before I'm out for the count, but occasionally I've woken up in the morning to find it beside my pillow (with the case closed, thank goodness), along with my glasses (not in a case)...not sure about my priorities there...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My cat loves to rub on my Pocket Pro when I read in bed.
Of coarse, it is a Kitty requirement to stand on the person reading while rubbing
...and of course the game is to knock the thing out of your hand with a well-placed head bump.

i read in bed every night. since i'm paranoid, and my bed is not low to the floor, i usually turn on my side, towards the wall, so that even if i fall asleep and drop it, it will just fall on the pillow next to me. i have occasionally given myself a little bump on the nose this way but nothing serious. if i'm facing the other way i just try to scootch far enough away that if it falls out of my hand it will stay on the bed. i love reading on my sony in bed better than paper books, because i don't have to worry about one half blocking the light from the page i'm reading, or holding it open, and in cold weather i can keep nice and warm under the quilt with just one thumb sticking out to turn the page (or, if it's *really* cold, and i'm using the 700, i can stick my head completely under the blanket and be *really* nice and warm. ).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I read my Kindle in bed all the time. nekkid. I've actually woken up with it under me a few times, it's fallen on the floor (not far onto carpet) several times. it's one of the reasons I got it, so I can take it backpacking, camping, skiing, etc. and have my night time read
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Upon awakening, I sometimes find that the case breaks but the reader is fine. Your results may vary.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
The Kindles are much tougher than given credit.

I always read in bed, I put it in the pocket of plane seats, I even took it backpacking to almost 6000 meters

I use the Amazon covers.

Last edited by Sonist; 02-08-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I read in bed with my Zodiac every night and have never dropped it on the floor yet, even when I'm not using the wrist lanyard. Usually I manage to put it on the nightstand before I'm out for the count, but occasionally I've woken up in the morning to find it beside my pillow (with the case closed, thank goodness), along with my glasses (not in a case)...not sure about my priorities there...
Respect for the Zod! I wanted one for years, and finally let it go. Now there's a device that was ahead of it's time
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
When I start "jerking" my eyes open or nodding off its time to shut it down, set it in a safe place, and turn out the light. For me that's the bedside table. You'll figure something out.

Although at least once a week I have to put my wife's Jetbook in the cover and put it away before I can climb into bed.

The really nice thing about reading before bed with an ebook. It remembers which page you were on! Many of them have auto shutoff or sleep mode. So they won't run your charge down while your snoozing.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
The other night, I must have read a paragraph of a new novel before I woke up with it on the floor beside me.
While its easy for a paper book to fall to the floor......you might find reading on a kindle or any other device will change the way you read.

What I mean is that its easily set on your tummy for extended periods.......one hand turning pages, you don't have to keep changing positions to stay comfortable.

I"ve fallen asleep lots of times and wake up with my Kindle sleeping also......I just set it on the table, roll over and go back to sleep.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
It can go both ways... most of the time I let my reading help put me to sleep. But sometimes, the book is just so interesting, I can't put it down, and read until early in the morning, like a couple of hours before I have to go to work! Grrr...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Just keep it away from the edge of the bed. That is all I do to protect it. Besides, I usually put it away as I feel getting sleepy.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote