Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #136
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike View Post
Flasher gave me the clock and personal info, but will not give me the new icons, only the originals. If I select any icon set I get the following error message /tmp/self upgrade/new_optimg not found. Strange in any event the clock was what I really wanted.
I'd try again. First apply the Sony Updater, then reflash after running PRSCustomizer.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #137
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The clock can be turned off. No problem. But why not make the personalization optional? Some people may not want it.
It's already optional in version 0.05, but I don't want to drop a new version so quickly, so I'll wait to add some new features first.
Advert
Old 08-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #138
sebastius
sebastius began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If anyone has a complete text list, i can translate them to Dutch, so this hack will be one language closer to completion
sebastius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
It's already optional in version 0.05, but I don't want to drop a new version so quickly, so I'll wait to add some new features first.
I do have a new feature you can drop into 0.05. For those who like the joypad for turning pages and do not use the mp3 player functionality, they may prefer to have the volume buttons be page turns instead and the history can be left alone. Also, make the page turns on the left history as well so when you have the joypad as page turns, you can have the left side page turns as history.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #140
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastius View Post
If anyone has a complete text list, i can translate them to Dutch, so this hack will be one language closer to completion
Go here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27371

Porkupan is the main man for localization. We merely walk in his shadow
Advert
Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #141
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do have a new feature you can drop into 0.05. For those who like the joypad for turning pages and do not use the mp3 player functionality, they may prefer to have the volume buttons be page turns instead and the history can be left alone. Also, make the page turns on the left history as well so when you have the joypad as page turns, you can have the left side page turns as history.
Are there working examples of these hacks? Any side effects?

BTW, offline until Thursday.

Last edited by JeffElkins; 08-19-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Are there working examples of these hacks? Any side effects?

BTW, offline until Thursday.
I'll have a look and see what the changes are for the hacks I've proposed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #143
legaleagll
legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 505
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike View Post
Flasher gave me the clock and personal info, but will not give me the new icons, only the originals. If I select any icon set I get the following error message /tmp/self upgrade/new_optimg not found. Strange in any event the clock was what I really wanted.
I get the same message that revmike got if I select any icon set. My SD card is a micro/mini combo card. The clock works and I had also selected 1 button power off (or whatever that was called in the customizer), which I haven't tested. This was the first hack I have applied to my reader. The only change from the original configuration that was made before applying this hack was updating the firmware when Sony released it.

Last edited by legaleagll; 08-20-2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Edited to provide some more info.
legaleagll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #144
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
I was finally able to get mine to work after downloading the sony updater from the sony support site and running it. It only told me that my 505's firmware was already upgraded, so after closing that program, I ran the customizer and it worked.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #145
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
On personalization. Looking at page 1 of this thread, it says to move the modified file to the 18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\resource\script folder. There is no script folder under resources in the 04a version. Also the kBookAssests.png file is called kBookAssets1.png in 04a. Should I create the script folder or just move it to resources and should I rename kBookAssets1 to kBookAssets?

Thanks.
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #146
hmgreen
Enthusiast

Also, unclear (or I am missing it) but since I already did a customization, before I run this again, do I have to clear out the firmware by running option 7, followed by running the the Sony Updater, and then rerun the customizer with my new options? Do I need to manipulate version numbers manually in any files? Can I bypass any of these steps?

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #147
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
HMGreen:

Quote:
before I run this again, do I have to clear out the firmware by running option 7, followed by running the the Sony Updater, and then rerun the customizer with my new options?
Yes, that is the sequence I have followed and it works.

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #148
hmgreen
Enthusiast

By running option 7 that clkears out the firmware update. Does that cause any problems with the books or groupings set up on the Reader? Also, the main reason I am running this again is because I want to customize the header. On personalization. Looking at page 1 of this thread, it says to move the modified file to the 18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\resource\script folder. There is no script folder under resources in the 04a version. Also the kBookAssests.png file is called kBookAssets1.png in 04a. Should I create the script folder or just move it to resources and should I rename kBookAssets1 to kBookAssets?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide on this one......
Old 08-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #149
hmgreen
Enthusiast

HELP!!! Tried to do option 7. Now the reader is frozen with the message on the screen:
READER Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again. I can't turn it off, it won't hard reset - nothing. I tried reinserting the SD card - nothing. I tried connecting it to the computer via USB. Also nothing. Now what?????
Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #150
hmgreen
Enthusiast

Whew! Took me literally 5 tries but somehow the Reader finally reset (I wish I understood why these devices are so finicky). Once that was done I took a chance and an the Sony updater rathe than retrying to do option 7 again (even though it DID say the chane was unsuccessful). It took 10 minutes to reboot but then I ran the customizer and all is well. BTW, I did all this with version .03 which ultimately worked fine. Considering the number of books I have on this and the $300 investment in the Reader I think I lost at least a couple of months' life expectancy over this one.... glad the update finally worked ...... :-)