Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Adobe Reader V9.0 for Windows and Mac released

Don't place your bets just yet, but according to various beta reports, the new Adobe Reader 9, released only an hour ago for Windows and Mac computers, is claimed to load two to three times faster than previous Reader incarnations. Since it's free, why don't you give it a try?

Official reasons to upgrade:
  • Improved launch speeds
  • PDF Portfolios
  • Native Adobe Flash® support
  • Acrobat.com (beta)
  • Improved CAD and geospatial functionality
  • PDF Standards Pane
  • Security enhancements
  • Accessibility enhancements
  • Adobe Reader 9 MUI

Link: Adobe Reader 9.0 Download

[via Adobe Blogs]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 07-01-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added list of changes
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
my my, an adobe reader that loads faster... that *is* good news. (assuming it's true.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
philippd
Connoisseur
philippd doesn't litterphilippd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
does it support non-DRMed ePub files natively (without DE?)
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I added a link to the changelog. Doesn't look like anything has changed regarding ePub since 8.x.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
philippd
Connoisseur
philippd doesn't litterphilippd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
thats a pitty - i kind of hoped that. but the other features still sound nice
i'll get it via auto update later...
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Downloading now. Thanks.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippd View Post
does it support non-DRMed ePub files natively (without DE?)
I don't think they'll add ePub to Acrobat Reader. I believe that Adobe created DE to be an e-book reader, and Acrobat Reader on the other hand is for documents.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Yup it definitely loads faster, and scrolls much faster than 8. Good job.
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
yeah.. acrobat 9 loads faster here than reader 8.12 did
that said, the improved PDF 1.7 'adobe extension level 3' (extension to ISO 32000 standard, i suppose.. backwards compatible in any case)
causes very impressive file size reductions (for scanned black/white pages, i've seen reductions of up to 70%)
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Installed here, and it certainly loads faster. It takes about 2 seconds on my WinXP Pro SP3 machine with a P4 CPU at 3.11ghz and a gig of RAM.

Adobe still loads their speedup utility on startup from the Local Machine registry hive. Disable that (which I haven't gotten around to doing for a test), and I expect that speed to drop a good deal.

On launch, Adobe Reader 9 uses 85MB of virtual memory, with a 27MB Working Set size (as reported by Sysinternal's Process Explorer.) Loading a random PDF (James Moffat's "Complexity Theory and Network Centric Warfare" kicks the Virtual size up to 117MB, and drops the Working Set size down to 2.5MB.

There have been tricks you could use to speed up Adobe Reader loading for years. Under old versions like Adobe 6, a good chunk of the startup time was the reader loading various plugins to support particular functionality. You could go into the reader plugins directory and remove or rename the ones you didn't need to speed loading.

One trick I still use was introduced in Adobe 7. When you are surfing the web, and you find a site with a PDF file you want to read, your browser will by default load the reader as a plug in and display it for you in a browser window or tab. This was a PITA: among other things, once loaded, the reader process stayed in memory. Closing the browser window or tab, or exiting the browser entirely didn't remove it. On slower machines with limited memory, this could be a problem.

Adobe 7 introduced a preference to control this. Under Edit/Preferences/Internet, uncheck Display PDF in browser. This makes the browser call Adobe Reader as an external program instead of loading it as a plugin. Exit the reader, and the process terminates and is removed from memory.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'll stick to Foxit Reader until there's a compelling reason to switch.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
To paraphrase Indiana Jones several movies back: "It ain't the fast, honey, it's the bugginess."

I'll wait and see what happens.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #13
RosanaE
RosanaE doesn't litterRosanaE doesn't litterRosanaE doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 3G
Agree with xianfox

Foxit reader is a small program, free, fast! Why bother with bloated Adobe Reader and its update downloads (9.01, 9.02, 9.03, etc...) that take an eternity at all?
RosanaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I don't think they'll add ePub to Acrobat Reader. I believe that Adobe created DE to be an e-book reader, and Acrobat Reader on the other hand is for documents.
That's fine... but a DE fit to smaller devices, to read ePub on PDAs, phones, etc, would be nice.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #15
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yep Foxit for me most of the time, but once in a while I'll come across something strange that will only open in the actual Adobe Acrobat Reader software.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe reader