Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
While it doesn't account for BetterRed's situation, might the issue be in regards to SSD deletions? I know that some SSD's will mark a file for deletion but hold off actually performing the deletion until some internal criteria is met (sorry, don't recall exactly).

Just a wild guess on my part, but thought I would mention it.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
While it doesn't account for BetterRed's situation, might the issue be in regards to SSD deletions? I know that some SSD's will mark a file for deletion but hold off actually performing the deletion until some internal criteria is met (sorry, don't recall exactly).

Just a wild guess on my part, but thought I would mention it.
I think you're getting confused between the deletion of a file (which is the removal of the i-node from the directory) and adding the space in which the data resides back into the available pool, its the latter that's a bit different on SSD's and spinning drives.

I've tried to recreate the 'curious' folders that I'm 99.9% sure I saw, but I'm darned if I can. I'm equally sure they resulted from what I did to create what I posted in Post 10 in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220936 - BTW I did it in my Empty library, not my Test library

how does one get a link to post on this board, for me the little square in the top left corner is always grey hence it doesn't have a copy link option on the context menu

ETA : , I think I created the book in the Empty library via a Copy to Library from Test

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-09-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: See ETA
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

how does one get a link to post on this board, for me the little square in the top left corner is always grey hence it doesn't have a copy link option on the context menu

BR
The Post #xx is the Link (point)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Alternatively, if you can tell me the exact full path to a book that causes this problem in your main library I can create a test myself (although it wont be as robust as you sending me a test, since it wont account for all factors).

I need the full path to the book folder and filenames for all files inside the folder.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Post #xx is the Link (point)
my paltry excuse is - but its also 'grey' so I assumed it was also 'dead'

ETA : I've just tried without success to recreate what I did on Aug 26 that I'm fairly certain lead to the 'curious' folders - but on Aug 26 I was running version 1.0 now I'm running 1.5.

I thought of another long shot - I use a Window Explorer alternative, zabkats xplorer2 (X2), I've known it to create 'spurious' locked folder situations. When I was creating the scenario in the Aug 26 post I was using X2 to browse the library folders - which is not something I normally want or need to do.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-10-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 04:27 AM   #21
merinns
merinns began at the beginning.

My library is in my Google drive folder... since update 1.5, when i try to rename book title or author name, this message appears:

calibre, version 1.6.0
ERROR: Failed to set data: Could not set data, click Show Details to see why.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 1008, in setData
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 1082, in _set_data
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 435, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 931, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1347, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 342, in __init__
error: (123, 'CreateFile', 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.')

Is there a fix or i have to move library to another location?
merinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....rked-drive-nas
Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Hmmm.. maybe we need to adopt a better way to communicate this issue? I'm willing to contribute this graphic reminder:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Google Drive RIP.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	113464  
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
merinns
merinns began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Hmmm.. maybe we need to adopt a better way to communicate this issue? I'm willing to contribute this graphic reminder:

Yep, thats it... everything is fine now... Google drive doesnt like books
merinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by merinns View Post
Yep, thats it... everything is fine now... Google drive doesnt like books
Not true.
Google drive just clashes with Calibre's folder naming.
Calibre used it first, so Google needs to fix their cloud not to break Calibre
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Since this threads been resurrected I'll note that I did some more testing as it relates to the original OP's post, I won't bore you with the details, but...

@kovidgoyal - when you detect something is locked, it should be possible to find out what process (program) is holding the lock (a'la what Unlocker and similar gadgets do), perhaps you could include that information in the locked file/folder message.

Knowing which program is holding the lock would assist users to do whatever is needed to unlock the folder or file.

There maybe a situation where calibre itself is holding the lock, that's what seems to happen to X2 in some corner/edge/boundary conditions which can be most often triggered by playing videos in its preview panel**

X2 prevents 'itself' from deleting a folder via its own folder lock, if I remove the lock with Unlocker, the delete can proceed. Otherwise I can be left with empty folders lying around that I swear I'd deleted.

BR

** I have no idea why anyone would want to do that, but the only way to stop it it to remove WMP - but that's a problem for another place

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-16-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
OK - I've finally had time to do this.

Here's a library with just 1 book in it with a title of 33 characters.
If you click on the book, and hit F2 in the Title field (or double click), a duplicate copy of the book is created with a shorter file-name. If you try to change the title it fails until the original (longer named) file is deleted from the disk.

If you use the edit metadata menu instead, everything appears to work - so far the duplicate only manifests if you edit the title in the list. There may be other triggers though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calibre Library.zip (12.2 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by anthony.burton4; 10-17-2013 at 06:58 PM.
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Now that helped, it was a rather interesting bug, triggered in very special circumstances: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...d2ca1eaf37310a

Note that if you have any books in your library affected by this bug, you can fix it by simply running Library check and deleting any extra files that it reports. (Right click the calibre icon on the toolbar and select Library maintenance->Check library)
Old 10-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Explains why I saw them after I'd been trying to replicate conditions re this thread. The stiglitz 'book' I was playing with was created on May 5 and I changed its title to be 31-38 chars long.

BR