Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
ctop
Connoisseur
ctop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: zaurus->palm->iPad->Sony PRS-T1,T2,T3->Kobo Forma&Likebook Ares
epub to epub conversion problem with regex spanning multiple input files

Hi there,

I am trying to fix some epubs I got, since they can't be used in my Sony PRS-T1. There are many problems, but I managed to write regular expressions to deal with them and got most of the things get straightened out. Now, for some reason the ePub file contains one HTML file for each page (!) of the books, which makes the reader starting a new page everytime, which I find very annoying. So, one of my regular expressions removes everything from the end of one of the </body> HTML file to the beginning of the next <body> element. This works quite nice when I test it in the Search and Replace wizard, but fails on actual conversion.
Now, my question is: Could it be that the conversion engine treats the files one by one? In that case, my regular expression could not match, since it spans files, but in the wizard, the whole ePub is presented as one file, so the expression matches.
Is there maybe an option to switch this behaviour on for conversion?

Any help appreciated,

Ctop
ctop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
regexes apply to a single file at a time. That cannot be changed. If you want to merge files, convert to htmlz in calibre.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
ctop
Connoisseur
ctop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and gracectop herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: zaurus->palm->iPad->Sony PRS-T1,T2,T3->Kobo Forma&Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
regexes apply to a single file at a time. That cannot be changed. If you want to merge files, convert to htmlz in calibre.
Thanks, Kovid, this works.

So I converted the files to HTMLZ, which produced one single HTML file, and then converted them back to ePub. As it turned out, I had to enable the "do not split on page break" option for the ePub, because otherwise I would get exactly the same problem as in the previous file.

BTW, is it mentioned somewhere that HTMLZ is always one single file? That is good to know and I am glad I found out now!

All the best,

Ctop
ctop is offline   Reply With Quote