Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
Apps Issue with Rooted Nook Color

Hello everyone.

After trying and failing to update CM7 on my sdcard, I decided just to root my Nook Color with Manual Nooter. Unfortunately now I'm having a bit of an issue with apps.

I'm trying to install a keyboard for my Nook, but there's an issue with the .apk not downloading to /system/app. In fact, I'm not sure where my apps from the Market are downloading to. I've seen through searching Google that there is supposedly a /data/ folder where apps download, but I can only find one data folder on my Nook and it is empty. The apps I download run fine except for any keyboard, which I guess I need to move to /system/app, but where to find it?

Any help you can offer is appreciated, thank you.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriebear View Post
but I can only find one data folder on my Nook and it is empty.
Are you sure it's empty?

I don't have my Nook with me at the moment; I'm just going from memory, so this could be wrong. But, I think the folder you're looking for is /data/app/. I think that ordinary users do not have permission to read it, only root can. So your file manager will not be able to read anything from it, and it will appear empty, due to lack of permissions.

If you use an app like root explorer, or use adb (e.g. "adb shell ls /data/app"), you should be able to access that folder.

But, I don't have my Nook in front of me, so this might be wrong.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
sjkevin - All the reputation I can give for you! (It's not much though )

I'm not one to mess around with commands and such through ADB, so I bought Root Explorer and sure enough, there were all those pesky .apks hiding in the /data folder. Copied and pasted everything into the /system/app folder (after figuring out I had to mount it as R/W), rebooted, and boom! There we are. Thank you very, very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkevin View Post
Are you sure it's empty?

I don't have my Nook with me at the moment; I'm just going from memory, so this could be wrong. But, I think the folder you're looking for is /data/app/. I think that ordinary users do not have permission to read it, only root can. So your file manager will not be able to read anything from it, and it will appear empty, due to lack of permissions.

If you use an app like root explorer, or use adb (e.g. "adb shell ls /data/app"), you should be able to access that folder.

But, I don't have my Nook in front of me, so this might be wrong.

Last edited by Carriebear; 09-26-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Changed a word.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote