Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
kobo touch - dictionary for loaded books...when?

It says the kobo touch will have a firmware fixing the side loaded books been treated second class issue.

When will such firmware be available????

I want dictionary for all my (epub at least) books . . .

(please, please don't try to pursuade me on how useless the dictionary is...
and please don't laught at me how bad my English is, can you read Russian? you can? then, can you read Japanese? or Chinese?)

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 08-08-2011 at 12:49 PM.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

I need to buy an ebook reader before Sep 5th.
will have to go with Kindle if kobo can't give me the dictionary.
but Kindle doesn't support epub! sigh!
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Sorry, just saw your 2nd post that you haven't bought yet. This has been added so you can now use the dictionary on sideloaded e-pubs.

Last edited by robko; 08-08-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Changed initial post based on OP's 2nd post
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

Thanks for the reply!
which version of the firmware have this?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Dictionary works for slide loaded English epub books with current 1.9.9 July 28 software version and has 2 or more versions ago. Are you using Kobo Touch to read Russian epub books? How well does Kobo Touch work for that? It would sure be nice if you could load and use your own dictionary. That feature has been requested before and will be more in demand as Kobo is sold soon in Germany and other countries.

Your English is excellent same as every Russian I have met in USA. My writing be goofy without spelling corrector highlighting all my mistakes.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

To read books in other language than Enlish, we have to embed the fonts in the books. . .
and I dare not to ask for a dictionary for other language, only English to English...
BTW, I'm not Russian, was just using Russian as an example. lol

Why kobo has so much trouble with ditionary while Kindle can have user install their dictionay ?!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
1.9.6 is first version having dictionary that works with side loaded books. I have found not every English word that might be in a book is in Kobo's dictionary with my limited reading.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

lol...don't tell me whatever you don't understand, the dictionary doesn't either!
with your input previousely, I've started searching for the store . . . don't stop me ...please...

(my English is bad, but not that bad ... no need to check on the dictionary for words like "good" yet)

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 08-08-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
To read books in other language than Enlish, we have to embed the fonts in the books. . .
and I dare not to ask for a dictionary for other language, only English to English...
BTW, I'm not Russian, was just using Russian as an example. lol

Why kobo has so much trouble with ditionary while Kindle can have user install their dictionay ?!
Possibly because Kobo (like many others) use Adobe's Reader Mobile platform as the basis for their technology, whereas Amazon use their own?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Perhaps because mobipocket development was oriented to books, so it supports dictionaries at any platform (Palm, Bookeen, Amazon) and ePub development is oriented to software enhancements, and dictionary is not a priority (somebody answered at the forum: please, if we make something special for dictionaries we'll have to make something special for other things like vademecum, and he shows how much he cared bout books and how much he knew about software).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
You'll also be excited to know that you can add custom fonts to the Kobo Touch very easily now too. Not sure if this will completely solve needing to embed fonts, but you should check it out and it may save you a bunch of work.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote