Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Firmware Update Version 1.0.1 - NOOKcolor

Update now available.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...cds2Pid=35758#
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
They claim that this will become an autoupdate in a few days. For those that have rooted, is there any concern here that these updates will all of a sudden revert our device back to it's original, unrooted state?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Until there's an answer from XDA Developers, I blocked auto updates using a script posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=17

I doubt I'll undo it. I prefer to manually install my stuff anyway.

Last edited by SCION; 12-18-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant

So far the word is that those who install the update (unrooted devices) will not be able to root their device. Will need an updated method.

If you want to root your device hold off on this minor update (for now).
Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505,JBL,Sony PRS350,Nook Color,Kindle 3
Hi

I downloaded the zip file but windows will not open it what should I do

Thanks

Gary
Blusaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

This should help.

Quote:
Manual Download Instructions

1. From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file's name in any way.

2. Tap Settings on your NOOKcolor's Quick Nav Bar, then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOKcolor battery charge is at 20% or more.

3. Connect your NOOKcolor to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOKcolor. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOKcolor drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" message on your NOOKcolor screen.

4. From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the NOOKcolor drive. Do NOT unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOKcolor drive or add the file to any other existing folder.

5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOKcolor drive after the file transfer is complete.

6. Your NOOKcolor will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes or when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.

7. Please do not turn off your NOOKcolor during the installation process.

8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOKcolor will automatically restart and go to the Home screen.

9. On the bottom left status bar a green "n" will appear. Tap on it; the software has been successfully updated.

NOOKcolor must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, NOOKcolor will reboot itself back to the Home screen. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOKcolor and check to see that your software version is 1.0.1

Congratulations, your NOOKcolor has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Digital Customer Service support at 1-800-843-2665.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
Blusaber
Enthusiast
Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blusaber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505,JBL,Sony PRS350,Nook Color,Kindle 3
Thank you Scion

Worked like a charm

Gary
Blusaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
The xda-dev guys are already working on an update, so it shouldn't be too long before the fix is in. In the meantime there are reports that nooter 0.2 still works.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Thanks Scion
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Until there's an answer from XDA Developers, I blocked auto updates using a script posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=17

I doubt I'll undo it. I prefer to manually install my stuff anyway.
This applies to me as well:

Quote:
Renaming the otacerts.zip doesn't break stock features. I am still able to use the store, purchase content, read my books/mags, etc with the B&N stock apps.
Thus far, my NC has not updated itself. I have renamed the otacerts.zip on my NC though which in theory should block the update.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As always, THANK YOU scion for this valuable thread. I have updated my Nook to BLOCK the automatic update.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, THAT didn't take long...Auto-nooter 2.12.18 has been posted at xda-devs for B&N 1.0.1...

From xda-developers:

DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU ARE 1.0.0

Changes:
New: Installs NookColor Tools to Enable Non-Market Installs.
Fix: 1.0.1 Rooting Issue.
Update: Installs Softkeys 2.0.2 instead of 2.0

What it does:
Installs su and Superuser.apk
Installs Busybox
Installs Softkeys 2.0.2
Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
Installs Calendar and Calculator.
Installs Android Market, Gmail, Youtube
Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
Enables Live Wallpapers
Enables Android Market and Gmail.
App Auto Install (Open up NooterFiles from sdcard drop in /data/app)

Still Needs:
Custom Kernel to display something while working.

How to Use:

Before you begin:

* To update to 1.0.1 you must do a complete wipe.
* You must update to 1.0.1 to use AutoNooter 2.12.18
Old 12-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I wonder if it's worth updating and then re-rooting...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
gtriever
Addict

I don't know, since my NC is currently under wrap (). Version 1.0.1 was reportedly released to improve WiFi and web browsing. How are the WiFi and Browser doing under 1.0.0 root? I do see that the later version of Auto-nooter enables non-market installs.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I wonder if it's worth updating and then re-rooting...
I'm not going through the process just for a better browsing experience with the stock browser and some WiFi tweaks. My WiFi has never been an issue. I don't need the stock browser anymore. I'll just wait for the major update then re-root.

gtriever: Those of us with original root have non-market installs enabled. It was done as a separate process, after root.

Last edited by SCION; 12-18-2010 at 10:56 AM.