Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
flyisland
flyisland began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
Is it possible to sent books to device with filename in non-ascii characters?

I have some books, the {title} and {authors} meta-data of my books are in Chinese character, and the save temple of "sending books to devices" is "{title}-{authors}".

After sent the books to my device (iRiver Story), the filename of my books on the storage of IRiver Story turns to "PinYin"(which is ascii).

So it's very inconvenience for me to search books on my reader, is it possible to sent books to device with filename in non-ascii characters?

Last edited by flyisland; 10-15-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: typo
flyisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
From what I know, no. The reason this restriction is in place is because it would take a huge effort to get non-ASCII filenames working across three different OSes with who knows how many different underlying filesystems, so it won't be done.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
flyisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
From what I know, no. The reason this restriction is in place is because it would take a huge effort to get non-ASCII filenames working across three different OSes with who knows how many different underlying filesystems, so it won't be done.
I know "The filenames in the calibre library will always be ASCII“, but the "save to disk" action can export the books to my disk with filename in Chinese character.

I'm wondering why "sending to device" must be ascii?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Are you sure that save to disk creates non-ascii files? I think that all disk write operations have the same limitations.
As for the filenames in the Calibre library folder, which I think you're talking about in the first part, you shouldn't go touch them at all.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
flyisland

Quote:
Are you sure that save to disk creates non-ascii files? I think that all disk write operations have the same limitations.
As for the filenames in the Calibre library folder, which I think you're talking about in the first part, you shouldn't go touch them at all.
1. Yes, I'm quite sure save to disk creates non-ascii files.

meta-data in Chinese:
save to disk filename in Chinese:

but I also notice that some characters are wrong in converting.

2. Yes, I can accept the Calibre Library as the black-box, what I need is saving book in my reader in Chinese.

I think this is a very important feature, since everyone likes to see and search book's name with their familiar characters, and so many languages in the word use non-ascii characters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-metadata.PNG
Views:	1532
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	59815   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-filename.PNG
Views:	1605
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	59816  
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sending to device always coerces filenames to ascii. That's because most ebook readers use FAT filesystems and FAT has totally atrocious support for non ascii characters. I have no desire to debug the endless bugs that will result from writing non ascii chars to FAT filesystems, so...

If you really, really need metadata in the filesystem on the device, use save to disk to save books to the device.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
flyisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sending to device always coerces filenames to ascii. That's because most ebook readers use FAT filesystems and FAT has totally atrocious support for non ascii characters. I have no desire to debug the endless bugs that will result from writing non ascii chars to FAT filesystems, so...

If you really, really need metadata in the filesystem on the device, use save to disk to save books to the device.
I think the compromise approach it to let users own the risk, maybe you could add a check box "Convert non-English character to English equivalents" of "Sending books to devices", just like the "save to disk".

I guess all the non-English users will benefit from it.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyisland View Post
I guess all the non-English users will benefit from it.
Let me correct that for you: All the non-English users who speak a language that uses a non-latin alphabet. Personally, I'm doing just fine with only ASCII.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 AM   #9
flyisland

Quote:
Let me correct that for you: All the non-English users who speak a language that uses a non-latin alphabet. Personally, I'm doing just fine with only ASCII.
Thanks for the correction