Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
rubikscube99
Enthusiast
rubikscube99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Battery Life

i just got my kindle and was wondering about my battery life...

i last charged it about 36 hours ago, and after about 1.5 days of casual reading i have finished about one and a half short books, this would sum to about 320-330 printed pages (i dont know about kindle pages), i also flipped through some newspapers.. but only for about 2-3 minutes. I plugged the kindle in to the computer once to put some content on it, but not for more than 5 minutes. I have not put a lot of books on it, id say a total of 7 items (books and magazines). My battery life is down about 25 percent.. (i think), its like above the halfway mark, but less than full (and a little more closer to the full battery mark) id estimate a battery life of 77%... however, the website says i should get 2 weeks of reading, and i am down 23-25% in one and a half days (btw: wireless is always off)

is this normal?
thanks
rubikscube99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Richie
Richie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
I have discussed with Kindle support the battery life issue. I have a Kindle 1.

Kindle website:

Quote:
Long battery life. Leave wireless on and recharge approximately every other day. Turn wireless off and read for a week or more before recharging. Fully recharges in 2 hours.
This is an exaggeration. My battery with wispernet on lasts 1 day. With wispernet off it lasts 2-3 days with it in sleep mode much of that time

Customer support attributes shorter batter life due to the fact that I have a SD memory card in it. Seems they are only guessing.

Kindle sent me a NEW replacement battery and it lasted for 12 hours with wisperrnet on.

Went back to my old battery and I am waiting for them to analyze the information that they downloaded from my Kindle to make a determination of what the problem is.

You can speak to 10 different people in customer support and each one has a different answer and information on how long a battery should last between charges.

Last edited by Richie; 04-10-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
2 weeks on a charge is abnormal
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikscube99 View Post
is this normal?
thanks
Make sure the MP3 player is not running in the background. But no with the wireless off that is certainly not right. I use mine for several weeks between charges. Granted I only read a few hours a day with it.

You might also want to try to reset it. The battery meter may be wonko (technical term) and a reset could de-wonkoize it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

how does one reset it? has anyone had any luck with the battery by resetting it?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

wait nvm.. i just remembered that i updated it to 2.0.2 yesterday, which triggered a reset i presume?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

reset did nothing.. anyone here??
Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I would let it run the battery down until you get the warning to turn wireless off (I know you already say it is off). Then plug it in and let it recharge all the way. Then turn wireless off and see how many days of reading you get with it. Obviously it depends on how much you read every day, but if you only get a couple of days then I think it's defective. I've gone anywhere from 4 days to a week with mine with the wireless off. I think 2 weeks is unlikely unless you only read an hour a day.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

waoh..
something amazing happened as i was reading yesterday.. which i did not notice: the battery went UP! *without charging* so basically the battery life did not change at ALL all day, and today it is back to what i originally posted on this forum- so yea im expecting it to last 2 more days which would give about 5-7 days of total reading.
nice.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You say that the machine is "new": bear in mind that it generally takes several discharge/recharge cycles before the battery meter reading is anywhere near accurate on any eBook reader. What the battery meter shows on a new machines is essentially meaningless.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You say that the machine is "new": bear in mind that it generally takes several discharge/recharge cycles before the battery meter reading is anywhere near accurate on any eBook reader. What the battery meter shows on a new machines is essentially meaningless.
is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's just the way it is; I'm not passing judgement on it one way or another. All eBook readers have the same issue. I suggest you let the battery fully discharge a couple of times; you'll then have a (reasonably) accurate battery meter.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
rubikscube99
Enthusiast

i thought that with lithium ion batteries: your not supposed to let the battery run all the way down because it has a degrading effect on the battery.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's true - you shouldn't let it totally discharge. When I say "discharge", I mean "leave it on until the Kindle turns itself off due to the low battery state". That is a perfectly "safe" level of discharge and will, as I say, let the battery meter correctly calibrate itself.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think this is an urban myth. My power meters have worked fine from day one. What do you think happens to make it more accurate? You think there is some AI in it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote