Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
jevidon
jevidon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle model not listed

In attempting to install Calibre, my Kindle model is not listed and the instructions tell me to use "generic". Before I make a mistake, I want to make sure that the instructions are correct. My Kindle is the 2nd generation model which has an extensive library I wish to save in Calibre before my new Kindle Paperwhite arrives. Shall I use Generic or is there a way that I can specify my Kindle model, or does it really make any difference?
jevidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't recall ever having to choose a model when installing calibre. Of course, I've had it installed for years already. I've never had any issue with calibre recognizing any of my ereaders when I connected via USB.

If you are concerned about losing the data on your Kindle, I suggest you simply make a backup of all files on the Kindle onto your computer prior to doing anything else.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The only time it also for ereader models is when converting a book from another format.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The only time it also for ereader models is when converting a book from another format.
When I attach one of my ereaders to my iMac, Calibre recognizes it, and when I go to upload a book from calibre onto that device calibre automatically converts the format prior to uploading. I haven't had to deliberately convert a file to a different format before uploading since I don't know when. It's been several months at least that calibre has been doing this automatically.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
When I 1st got my Fire HD it came up generic. I think as long as you save your ebooks either Thru Calibre or just on your computer you will beable to sideload them when you recieve your new Kindle.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote