Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #61
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Well, I've now gone further back into Middle Eastern History and reading A Brief History of the Middle East, Christopher Catherwood.

Only 3 chapters in and really enjoying it's perspective and synthesis.

But .... and this is what happens to me ..... as a result of Catherwood's use of particular references I've now picked up Empires of the Word, Nicholas Oster.

Oster's book is about the history of languages, and that of course begins with the Sumerians in the Fertile Crescent (between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers).

As a result of MR member Billi alerting me to Citavi, I've now created different projects and availing myself of the many features available to give my 'projects' some structure and capture information that can be utilised in the near and distant future as I pick up other books on the project topics.

Of course, at this rate I'm going to end up with more projects then there's time to delve into in more than a cursory way - but heh - organising my reading gives me better focus, and captures the more salient points for future reference and catch up.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #62
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm currently reading this and I can highly recommand it.
http://www.amazon.com/For-Love-Physi...ove+of+physics
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Kenny - would I be accurate in thinking that the authors have written what used to be called 'prose'? Essentially essays on topics/subjects.

And that in order to 'sell' or 'make attractive' the Prose genre they've re-labelled it 'The Short', or 'Creative Non-Fiction'.

Penny for your thoughts .....
Prose to me is an umbrella term meaning not much more that 'writing' but separating/excluding poetry. Creative non-fiction is a term that means non-fiction presented in a narrative manner e.g. not just reporting, but telling it as a story. Much non-fiction today is written in this manner. Essay is a bit of a looser term in that it allows in much personal interpretation. The two books I mention include all types of creative non-fiction including essays, memoirs, articles, and reporting.

The In Short book has specifically selected shorter works.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-29-2012 at 08:56 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #64
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
He's got a new book out now, but I enjoyed "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Taleb. Far superior to the "Black Swan" follow up which made his name more well known.

"Underground" by Haruki Murakami - the subject matter didn't sound promising, but i'd read all his other novels and decided to give it a try.
Excellent.
He recounts interviews with people involved or affected by the sarin poisoning on the Tokyo underground many years ago. His non judgemental writing works perfectly - struck me as how the best journalism should/might be.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #65
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
He's got a new book out now, but I enjoyed "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Taleb. Far superior to the "Black Swan" follow up which made his name more well known.

"Underground" by Haruki Murakami - the subject matter didn't sound promising, but i'd read all his other novels and decided to give it a try.
Excellent.
He recounts interviews with people involved or affected by the sarin poisoning on the Tokyo underground many years ago. His non judgemental writing works perfectly - struck me as how the best journalism should/might be.
Yes, I did not win the Powerball jackpot.
It was up to over a half-billion dollars.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #66
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I'm currently reading this and I can highly recommand it.
http://www.amazon.com/For-Love-Physi...ove+of+physics
Physics is cool!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #67
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Prose to me is an umbrella term meaning not much more that 'writing' but separating/excluding poetry. Creative non-fiction is a term that means non-fiction presented in a narrative manner e.g. not just reporting, but telling it as a story. Much non-fiction today is written in this manner. Essay is a bit of a looser term in that it allows in much personal interpretation. The two books I mention include all types of creative non-fiction including essays, memoirs, articles, and reporting.

The In Short book has specifically selected shorter works.

Hope that helps.
Amazon seems to think it's a new Genre:

'Almost simultaneously, many of our finest writers are experimenting with a new nonfiction form: brief pieces that are literary and personal rather than informational, complete in themselves, and short—very short. Although the form has not had a name until now'

http://www.amazon.com/Short-Collecti.../dp/0393314928

I'm still unconvinced - I think it's Prose ..... but what's in a name.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #68
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Well I love a 'flutter', so I'm going to have to put this book on my TBR list.

Of course, I am hoping that I'll just be one of the 'lucky' ones who win big time without any effort except buying the ticket!!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #69
kennyc

Quote:
Amazon seems to think it's a new Genre:

'Almost simultaneously, many of our finest writers are experimenting with a new nonfiction form: brief pieces that are literary and personal rather than informational, complete in themselves, and short—very short. Although the form has not had a name until now'

http://www.amazon.com/Short-Collecti.../dp/0393314928

I'm still unconvinced - I think it's Prose ..... but what's in a name.
Prose doesn't mean anything to me.

There was/has been a controversy over creative non-fiction. The short part seems relatively new to me. Though I'm sure there have been short nf personal or literary or whatever for ages, it also in some cases over-laps prose poetry. (which I do know what is. )
Old 11-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #70
kennyc

Quote:
Well I love a 'flutter', so I'm going to have to put this book on my TBR list.

Of course, I am hoping that I'll just be one of the 'lucky' ones who win big time without any effort except buying the ticket!!
I didn't win. Powerball that is. Oh Wait, I said that. Maybe Santa will bring me a winning ticket.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #71
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Current non-fiction reading list:

The Last Lion: Volume 1: Winston Churchill: Visions of Glory, 1874-1932 by William Manchester
Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis
A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century by Barbara W. Tuchman
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #72
kennyc

I'm slowly making my way back through some previous Best American Science writing. Just finished 2010. http://www.amazon.com/Best-American-...ef=pd_sim_b_21 Good stuff, what's interesting is that I'd read a few of them elsewhere but mostly how quickly this sort of writing ages.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #73
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

I offer this definition only as my basic understanding of what Prose is:

Prose

'Literary writing that cannot be defined in terms of other prose literature forms (short story, autobiography, essay) but which displays literary qualities. Includes creative, imaginative writing such as Liam Davison's Land Sounds and extended prose works in the travel, historical, humour and satire genres, such as Nicholas Jose's Black Sheep, Ernestine Hill's The Territory, Barry Humphries's Bazza Pulls It Off.'

http://www.austlit.edu.au/help/austlitForms

As part of the standard English course at school we read Prose (and Drama, Novels, Poetry etc).

Maybe it's an Aus thing which follows on from the received traditions from England.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
I offer this definition only as my basic understanding of what Prose is:

Prose

'Literary writing that cannot be defined in terms of other prose literature forms (short story, autobiography, essay) but which displays literary qualities. Includes creative, imaginative writing such as Liam Davison's Land Sounds and extended prose works in the travel, historical, humour and satire genres, such as Nicholas Jose's Black Sheep, Ernestine Hill's The Territory, Barry Humphries's Bazza Pulls It Off.'

http://www.austlit.edu.au/help/austlitForms

As part of the standard English course at school we read Prose (and Drama, Novels, Poetry etc).

Maybe it's an Aus thing which follows on from the received traditions from England.
Thanks for that. My def is more like this from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prose
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #75
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

As long as authors get published, and their works are sold .... anything goes, eh!!!