Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Why So Few Sony Freebies Now??

Used to there would be regular notices about numerous freebies for Sony eReaders. Lately there seems to be very few for Sony while there continue to be many freebies for Kindle.

So! Are the much appreciated observers of Sony freebies no longer posting here? Or are there just fewer Sony freebies?

Thanks for any feedback on this!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
A mix of both. Some of the publishers who were previously pretty good about distributing freebies and deals to multiple stores no longer seem to give them out to Sony/Kobo/iTunes. This may be due to the publisher, it may be due to the store (Sony was notoriously bad about dropping promo books to free and would expire them many hours early without warning).

As a result, I don't check them nearly as often as I used to. I'll try to put in some updates this weekend if stuff is still genuinely free (and not just saying $0 in the store but charging full price in the cart).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Who knows, but why limit yourself to one store? I get books from Sony, Amazon, Kobo-whoever has the cheapest deal!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I get books from Sony, Amazon,
C, If I'm not interested in stripping DRM, how can I get books for my Sony from Amazon?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
C, If I'm not interested in stripping DRM, how can I get books for my Sony from Amazon?
Simple answer. You can't.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Some of Amazon's books are free of DRM, especially the free ones. Often Amazon is price matching, in which case you can track down a bargain epub somewhere.

Last edited by Synamon; 03-17-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Buy a tablet, and you can read books from all sorts of sources without having to worry about DRM. A vanilla Android tablet will give you the best compatibility, though a relatively unadulterated one (like the Kobo Vox) isn't that bad. A Kindle Fire you'll have to hack/root to get other readers on there, whereas on the Kobo Vox you can install the Kindle app, and download Google Play books, without hacking the device.

A lot of people will tell you that e-ink is the only way to go, and e-ink does have its advantages. However, I read on my Kobo Vox at about a 45% angle and at the lowest brightness setting when reading in bed at night, never have any eyestrain issues, and enjoy convenient night reading after my spouse has gone to sleep. As a bonus, it's much better for colour and/or grayscale graphic novels (The Walking Dead, etc.) than e-ink.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Lately I haven't found very many free Sony, Nook, Kobo or Kindle books that interest me. At least not like the selection in the past. There have been some decent Kindle Daily Deals and Nook Daily Finds.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I stopped looking at the free selection when it got overrun with selections from Smashwords.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
A Kindle Fire you'll have to hack/root to get other readers on there, whereas on the Kobo Vox you can install the Kindle app, and download Google Play books, without hacking the device.
Completely wrong. The Fire allows sideloading apps without rooting or any kind of hacks. B&N devices however do require rooting (although the Nook Tablet didn't when it first came out).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Access to the Amazon freebies without stripping DRM is one of the reasons why I bought a Kindle e-ink. If you have an Amazon Prime account, then you also have access to the Kindle Lending Library (borrow one book per month for free).

Other options are you could install the Kindle software on your computer or the Kindle app on a smartphone if you've got one.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Completely wrong. The Fire allows sideloading apps without rooting or any kind of hacks. B&N devices however do require rooting (although the Nook Tablet didn't when it first came out).
Or, if there is a micro-SD slot, leave tablet OS as is and setup a dual boot and run everything on microSD, including Kindle, Nook, etc. apps.

In the long run, might be easier to reconsider the DRM issue. Once one learns how to do it, it's easily done. And then it's not necessary to spend $ on another device.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
You can't get them to the Sony, but you can get them to any Kindle app in any Android device. I read my Kindle freebies on the Kindle app on my TouchPad.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I stopped looking at the free selection when it got overrun with selections from Smashwords.
Personally I like Smashwords, I go there quite often for new writers. although regardless of vendor, I tend to limit my freebie downloads to stuff I see on this site. It helps give me a feel for what I'm getting into, I think.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
From what I remember, most of Sony's freebies were from either Tor (I miss them Suvudu freebies) or HarperCollins.

Tor has replaced the idea of a first novel in a series free with it's 50 page fridays (First 50 pages free) and HarperCollins has been experimenting with 99/1.99 pricing on the first novel in a series.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote