Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
maminej
maminej began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad soon :D
Stanza and Graphics support

Hello everyone ,

i'm a newbie in the forum and i recently discovered that Stanza doesn't support graphics when converting PDF files.
Anyone know of a way to convert PDF to ePub (or any other format wich supports Graphics) , (with Mac osx or windows )

Thanks a lot
maminej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
You might want to look into calibre. There's a support forum too.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Over the past two years, I've gotten so fed up with trying to convert PDF to anything else that I've gone with reading them with GoodReader. I haven't found any conversion utility that works satisfactorily, even with the simplest of files.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

JMikeD has a good point.. GoodReader on the iPad is a very good PDF reader on the iPad, and only a buck. You'd probably be better off just using GoodReader than converting to .epub and importing into iBooks. I haven't tested it but I think the conversion will lose some of the formatting. GoodReader allows you to zoom in and out just fine.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
maminej
maminej began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad soon :D
Thanks a lot guys!!
Actually, I have an iphone. i am a little bit hesitating about buying or not an iPad..
Thanks again
maminej is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

viewing PDF files on the iPhone and the iPad is a world of difference, the larger screen is good enough to view most pages in a reduced size to fit the screen, and you can zoom up and see more than a few words like on the iPhone. I tried reading PDF files on the iPhone and only ended up doing so if I had no other option available to me (carrying around some documentation). Typically I used the iPhone as a "jump drive" to store PDFs and pull them off onto a laptop/desktop for viewing there. I can still do this with my iPad but for quick reference lookup the iPad is perfectly acceptable, along with longer reading.

Buying an iPad, really just depends on what you're going to do with it. If you want it solely as a dedicated eReader, then there are other, cheaper, options out there. If you're looking for a capable, all-round device, you'll be surprised at just how much you can do with an iPad.