Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Neutrino
Neutrino began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Unhappy Sony ereader 505 frozen Starting up screen..

Hi everyone

I would appreciate some help with this problem which occurred just 2 days after purchasing the Sony 505 ereader.

The screen has become frozen while displaying the "Starting up" message/.
\and has remained like that fro several days.

soft resets just blank the screen temporarily then it freezes again.

I have not been able to get a hard reset to work. (I'm not sure that the instructions i was followint applied to the 505 as well as the 500).

I have tried recharging on a mains charger for several hours but this has not made any difference. I have also tried resetting while connectd to PC via USB.

What should I try next ?

many thanks

Neutrino
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I had this. Plug it back in for charge and keep it plugged in for around 12 hours. I was about to take mine back, had charged for about 8 hours to no avail, but putting it back on all night saved it.
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
Neutrino

thank you

I shall try as you suggest.

Seasonal greetings!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
When charging, check the LED shows red to indicate charging. With a mains charger, you are meaning a PSP-compatible one using the round 'barrel' connector, aren't you?

After a reset, slide the power switch & see if you get the led going yellow, which would normally indicate it booting.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Neutrino

thank you

Yes the charger is as specified. Red light appeared and disappeared. Yellow light came on when booting .

howevr there has been a new development. After another attempt to reset - the on scrren message changed from starting up - to "installing firmware".

However it then remained frozen . At this stage I decided to give up and had the ereader replaced .

The new model is working well and will give me something to read over the holiday.

Merry Christmas to one and all
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #6
Nancito
Nancito began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS505
1000 THANK YOUs

I was having trouble with my Sony eReader 505 and I goggled "troubleshooting for Sony eReader" which took me to this site. Basically the bloody thing was frozen - I then tried a couple of suggestions from post-ers here and now it is working fine. I was totally freaking out - do I need another device and what about all the ebooks that I have paid for and not read yet. So, main point, you all have saved me from certain doom. Thanks again to one and all.
Nancito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Glad the forum could help!
I know I had a nasty shock the first time it happened to me...

cheers,
kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Thank you for your help!

I just bought a 505 reader off of ebay that had the screen frozen during a firmware update. Using your advice and the new way to unbrick -- the device seems to work fine now!)
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
heero
heero began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury Tail View Post
I had this. Plug it back in for charge and keep it plugged in for around 12 hours. I was about to take mine back, had charged for about 8 hours to no avail, but putting it back on all night saved it.
i got the same problem
i pretty much got same situation with Neutrino, frozen on starting up screen..
and i've tried this charge 24 hours and it wont able to hard and soft reset!
the yellow led just blink and then off totally.
but i can connect to my pc with usb when i soft reset. all the data are not display but it said free spaces 90.6mb used spaces 119mb.
should i format the drive and try soft and hard reset>?
heero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #10
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

when USB connected - suggest complete format of the reader followed by install of firmware
good luck!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
Willo142
Enthusiast
Willo142 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
when USB connected - suggest complete format of the reader followed by install of firmware
good luck!
so you can connect it through usb? mine isnt seen properly by the PC v
Willo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
gardenstate
Groupie

if you are unable to connect the reader via a USB connection and be "recognized" by your pc - please do a search of this forum for tips on re-establishing a connection.

such as here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14467
Old 12-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Willo142
Enthusiast
Willo142 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
if you are unable to connect the reader via a USB connection and be "recognized" by your pc - please do a search of this forum for tips on re-establishing a connection.

such as here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14467
mines stuck in startup mode/ "firmware update mode" see here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...355#post679355

thanks anyway
Willo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
gardenstate
Groupie

When you charged your reader, did you use a PSP or Sony power source with 5V AND 2AMPS for 12 hours? Some chargers are only 5V 1AMP (like the USB PC supply.

A high 2 AMP charge for a min of 12h has helped many people get heir unit back from the dead -- this worked for a problem I had.
follow this by booting up to USB/PC, reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the latest reader firmware.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
gustav
gustav began at the beginning.

Device: e reader
im just a bit disappointed about the frozen thing. i mean its just too much of an incovenience. im excited to use it then it freezes. makes me think if i should have just bought the actual book that i wanted to read..simple, straightforward, no complication.. just saying patience patience..
gustav is offline   Reply With Quote