Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #211
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I have a quick question. I've recently moved to a Core2Quad machine running Windows Vista Home Premium (with all the SP updates) and BD simply DOESN'T like opening .doc, .rtf, .html files on it. Is there some directory where I need to put the files to get it to recognize them properly? It worked fine under WinXP.

Derek
Simple question to your question: Do you have Word installed on that Vista computer?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #212
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Simple question to your question: Do you have Word installed on that Vista computer?
Ummm... Yes, but I'm getting a message from that that it is not valid. And, of course, I can't seem to get it to let me give it a valid Product Key. Sigh. I *expected* some problems in porting over....

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #213
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I am not sure, but i think you cannot properly install BD under Vista. You have to do some additional things. I believe there were a few topics about it around here.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #214
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I am not sure, but i think you cannot properly install BD under Vista. You have to do some additional things. I believe there were a few topics about it around here.
While all that helped, it turned out the REAL problem was that I hadn't installed Microsoft's "Genuine Advantage" validation tool into IE. Who would have guessed? It's working FINE now. Thanks.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #215
n7tzg
n7tzg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is there source code for book designer?

Where might I find it?

Rob
n7tzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #216
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by n7tzg View Post
Is there source code for book designer?

Where might I find it?

Rob
The home forum for Book Designer is here:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
It is in Russian, mostly. I don't know whether the source code has been released. You could try sending a PM to vvv, who is the creator and a member of this forum.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #217
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD is not "open source" and I don't believe that its source code has been released publically.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #218
Soxendom
Connoisseur
Soxendom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
I've just got a new computer which at the moment has vista 32 bit on it. I will shortly be updating to windows 7 64 bit. Does anyone know whether book designer will work on that and will I have a system32 directory to re-register? the dlls?
Soxendom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #219
Soxendom
Connoisseur
Soxendom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Like delphibd96, I've just changed to a vista computer and like them I have word 2007 on my machine. Similarly I can't get BD to open docs or html. I thought the answer was that I didn't have the genuine advange validation tool but when I checked the microsoft site said that it wasn't relevant to vista. Does anyone have any idea how to get BD working?

Now working - uninstalled and reinstalled book designer and it will now open them.

Last edited by Soxendom; 10-25-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: now working
Soxendom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #220
danegeld
Enthusiast
danegeld is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-700
BD and Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxendom View Post
I've just got a new computer which at the moment has vista 32 bit on it. I will shortly be updating to windows 7 64 bit. Does anyone know whether book designer will work on that and will I have a system32 directory to re-register? the dlls?
I've spent way too much time today trying to get BD to work in Windows 7, which is running (and running extremely well) in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on my MacBook Pro, which is running Snow Leopard. Whew!

Here's what I've discovered:

1. As noted in another post in this thread pertaining to Vista, DO NOT install BD in the Program Files directory. It will launch, but generating an LRF file will not work. I believe it will create a couple of other types of files, but most will fail. Don't try running it in one of the Compatibility Modes. I tried them all and it doesn't help. Just installing outside the Program Files folder does the trick.

2. You will have to download and install the DhtmlEd.msi file from Microsoft. If you run BD after installing and then close it down, you'll get a dialog telling you that it's needed and a link is provided to download it from Microsoft.

3. You won't be able to open or save BD files unless you have Word installed. I have Word 2007 installed in the virtual machine and it works just fine.

4. If you're working with Sony LRF files (I use those exclusively because they're the only ones that will full-justify properly on my PRS-700), you'll obviously want to have Sony's eBook Library installed in order to test your files. I had a lot of trouble with it crashing with a new BD LRF file, but it turned out to be a font problem. I think there may be some change in the interaction of Windows 7, eBook Reader, and fonts that have a Do Not Embed flag, though BD reported the version of Gill Sans I was using as embeddable. In any case, if eBook Reader crashes with a newly-made LRF, it's probably a font issue.

I'm absolutely amazed I've been able to get Book Designer working on my Mac. After successfully installing a couple of other Windows-only programs I'd be hard-pressed to live without on my VMWare Windows 7 virtual machine, I can now get rid of my PC entirely. It's a happy day.
danegeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #221
Jester50
Jester50 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Hello everyone, I have been following the post for converting various files using book designer. I followed the steps, but I can into a problem when trying to convert pdf files. When I try to open the file with bd it gives the error message, file can not be opened. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks so much
Jester50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #222
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester50 View Post
Hello everyone, I have been following the post for converting various files using book designer. I followed the steps, but I can into a problem when trying to convert pdf files. When I try to open the file with bd it gives the error message, file can not be opened. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks so much
Welcome to the forum, Jester.
It's quite likely that you're not doing anything wrong. It is probably the PDF.

1. PDFs can be made from doc or other text-based files, and BD will usually convert these with no problems. However, it won't handle secure PDFs.
2. Image files can be scanned and saved as PDFs. BD won't handle these either.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #223
Jester50

Hi Patricia, thanks for the help. I have another question. Ok, I know next to nil about computers, and I'm not sure how to tell if a pdf is secured or not. Does anyone know?

Thank you,
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #224
Patricia
Reader

Open the PDF. Try to save a copy as text. If it won't let you, then it's secured.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #225
Jester50

Hi, everyone this is my third post and I'm stil having trouble. I've been looking but is there a detailed guide on how to use book designer? There are a lot of technical terms that I don't understand, such as install it in an empty directory or over write the file, plus I'm not sure if there is something that needs to be done for a pc running vista. I have lit files, a few html, and a lot of pdfs. I tried converting the pdfs and kept getting an error message, and the same happened for the lit files. my system kept saying files not found.

Is there anyone who is willing to walk a novice through the steps. I have a sony prs-600 and I'm dying to start using it.

Thanks

Tags
bookdesigner