Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Image Quality, iBooks vs. Kindle

I was recently looking at some travel guides, Frommers, et al., and downloaded samples from both the Kindle Store and the Apple store. I found that the images (maps, etc) in the Apple versions were of significantly higher quality than those in the Kindle version, even when viewing both on the iPad. The Kindle versions had compression artifacts and seemed to be lower resolution than the iBooks versions.

That said, I still ended up buying from Amazon because it gave me far more reading options (Kindle, iPad, computer, phone, etc), and I'm more likely to take my Kindle on the trip than my iPad.

Anybody noticed anything similar? The other way around? Is it a difference in supported formats for embedded images? The Kindle versions looked like jpg artifacts, and the iBooks versions looked like lossless PNG or some such.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I haven't had a chance to look over an ebook on an iPad, but I'm not surprised. iPads are a late entry in to the market, and the hardware is quite a bit more capable than most ereaders, especially old ones, and both epub and mobi need to be formatted for the older readers to be compliant with the format standards.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I seem to remember when I bought LOTR ebooks that the epubs had higher quality images compared to the mobi versions. Perhaps the image size limitation is something inherent to the mobi format?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From 2009, see A Comparison of format limitations based on The Hobbit. Nothing much has changed since, Amazon (AZW/MOBI) still tends to have smaller (lower quality) images than ePub. The Kindle devices have a "click for full screen" option for images that is nice sometimes. The iBook app may have something similar (I have never used it), but Adobe-based ePub readers tend to be "what you see is what you get" for images and are heavily dependent on the publisher doing the right thing.

The new KF8 format might change image handling on Kindles, but it is Fire-only at present.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It honestly depends on the image source file.

And there's honestly less incentive to put up a high-res image on the Kindle because of the following reasons:

1) device optimization: is the eBook going to be read on a Kindle 4? Kindle Fire? PC? Each one will give different results, the black-and-white vs color more so.

2) File size limits. If the file size is too big, Amazon will start charging the publisher for delivery costs, depending on the pricing plan.
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert