Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #106
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjb View Post
Do you *really* think that the technology (hardware *and* software) in the IRex is "far superior" to that in the iPad? If that's so, I think you need to think again.

/JB
For what the IREX technology is designed for - reading books and other documents - it is far better than iPad technology. Obviously, IREX technology is not as good as the iPad as doing what the iPad was designed for - except for reading books that is.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #107
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Do you *really* think that the technology (hardware *and* software) in the IRex is "far superior" to that in the iPad? If that's so, I think you need to think again.

/JB
Do you *really* think that iPad is much better than a high-end HD Sony LCD/Plasma TV for watching movies? If that's so you should probably re-think.

Doesn't make sense, does it? Well, this is what your post sounded like.

And yes, I have owned an iRex device and I have tried an iPad, and yes again, I found iRex to be much better for reading.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #108
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I would have bought at least one, for my mother. (Currrently I'm waiting on the Pocketbook 901 or a price drop on Kinde DX, which ever gets in first. ) But to this day I have yet to see a single review that finds their *shipping* firmware to be anything but buggy, slow, and oddly structured. It was all; "yes, its buggy but the *next* release will fix it." A year ago when I was playing firmware-of-the-month with my BeBook I might have risked it. But not now. The market has movedon beyond the forgiving hobbyist it relied on pre-Kindle. Now, you either deliver, or else. (Else being; chapters 11 or 7.)
I'm using DR800SG (with the shipping firmware, haven't tried 2.0 beta yet) for a couple of months. The only bug i aware of is that sometimes switching the flipbar makes reader go forward not for one page, but for 3-5 pages; it is annoying, but it occurs so rarely that i can live with it. I've faced more important bugs on my PRS500.
Battery life time is about the same on DR800SG and PRS500.
That say, i'm using e-readers only to read ebooks (PDFs designed for an appropriate device, with fonts embedded). Haven't tried wireless of DR800SG, music player of PRS500 etc.
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #109
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Well, can't say all this really comes as a surprise.

iRex was the first out of the gate with the largest and most hires reader (the DR1000), and actually in the customers' hands (Plastic Logic where art thou?) They also released a smaller, more affordable and mature version (the DR800) And they consistently failed to capitalize on that advantage. The missed holiday deadline is only a small part.

The biggest issue is the lethal combination of a very high price combined with a perpetually beta OS/UI (that now got chucked out completely in favor of a new one) You can't make people pay that much money to be a beta tester.

The lack of communication under those circumstances doesn't help either. At all. Most of the support to make the device worthwhile came from a forum like this one.

The 2.0 firmware is a big step in the right direction after years of floundering, but it's perhaps a case of too little way too late. (And there are still a number issues that have not been addressed since day 1, but that's for a different post) Opening up the source code is another good thing, but thanks to the niche they have put themselves in, there is only a small handful of volunteer coders to make use of it...

I sincerely hope they get things sorted out, not the least because I have a soft spot for small companies that release innovative products, but I suspect we won't find out anything about the process until either the complete closure is announced in the news, or we receive the occasional firmware update as a lifesign...

As one of the very early adopters, I'm sorry to say that I would not buy it again, esp. under current circumstances, and not to mention at the current higher price. I do not regret buying it however, and will keep using it for what it's worth (even though the new firmware doesn't have my most used feature anymore, have to figure out how to do change over everything)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #110
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I'm a Dutch native speaker, so let make make a couple of things a bit clearer where the Google translation caused confusion.

Quote:
If I interpreted the translation correctly, there may have been an interested party last year but it fell through.
No, the original article does not say that. What they say about last year is that they did not get the expected turnover at all.

Quote:
liabilities of around ~5Mio EUR
Actually, the man said they are at least 5 million.

Quote:
He also said that business will continue for now
He did not actually say that. What he said is that Deutsche Bank, the major creditor, did not close the business down.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #111
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I wouldn't get hopes up to high on continued operation. Ch. 11 is for reorganization, but I suspect most companies going into Ch. 11 don't come out the other end. For most, it's part of a process that ends in liquidation.

Perhaps someone (HP maybe) will pick up the assets and customer base. But this does highlight the need for affordability.

Rob Preece
Publisher, BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #112
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iñigo View Post
Yes, of course, IREX tech is far better than iPad's one.
In what way?

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #113
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Do you *really* think that iPad is much better than a high-end HD Sony LCD/Plasma TV for watching movies? If that's so you should probably re-think.

Doesn't make sense, does it? Well, this is what your post sounded like.

And yes, I have owned an iRex device and I have tried an iPad, and yes again, I found iRex to be much better for reading.
Perhaps I didn't express myself very well.

I read your post as a blanket claim that the iPad's technology is mediocre, and that iRex's is far superior, and that iRex's failure and iPad's success were an injustice of marketing.

You may prefer reading on the iRex (as it happens I find reading on the iPad a very good experience, much better than my PRS-505), but that's not the point. You may find the iRex's technology more suited to your particular wants, but a blanket claim that it's far superior seemed unwarranted.

/JB

Last edited by jbjb; 06-14-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #114
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Perhaps I didn't express myself very well.

I read your post as a blanket claim that the iPad's technology is mediocre, and that iRex's is far superior, and that iRex's failure and iPad's success were an injustice of marketing.

You may prefer reading on the iRex (as it happens I find reading on the iPad a very good experience, much better than my PRS-505), but that's not the point. You may find the iRex's technology more suited to your particular wants, but a blanket claim that it's far superior seemed unwarranted.

/JB
Actually I do think that iPad technology is mediocre. It's the packaging and the hype that is selling it. As a consumer product, I think it's doing well, the sales figures speak for themselves. But as the latest and greatest - not so much.
In addition, I would not buy an iPad because of what Apple is doing to the market with locking-in and locking-out and its own censorship. It may work for others, I'm not judging, but it certainly does not work for me.

I do agree with you that the reading experience is a personal one. Anything backlit is unsuitable for prolonged reading for me. Therefore I am highly biased towards e-Ink and other non-back lit screens.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 AM   #115
jbjb
Somewhat clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Actually I do think that iPad technology is mediocre. It's the packaging and the hype that is selling it. As a consumer product, I think it's doing well, the sales figures speak for themselves. But as the latest and greatest - not so much.
In addition, I would not buy an iPad because of what Apple is doing to the market with locking-in and locking-out and its own censorship. It may work for others, I'm not judging, but it certainly does not work for me.

I do agree with you that the reading experience is a personal one. Anything backlit is unsuitable for prolonged reading for me. Therefore I am highly biased towards e-Ink and other non-back lit screens.
But in what way is the technology in the iRex siginificantly superior? In terms of actual technology, as opposed to personal preference of, for example, screen type.

/JB
Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #116
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

iRex is superior on its market by the screen - i believe that there is no other device with a large (>6") e-ink touchscreen except for Sony Daily Edition, which, in terms of hardware, is obviously inferior than DR800.
Also, iRex produced first reader with e-ink screen larger than 6" (iliad); irex produced first and the only reader with 10" screen.
What apple did? Packed common hardware in a glamorous shell and greatly marketed it.
For example, i've purchased similar tablet (Siemens Simpad SL4) in 2004 for about 200 euro, with 8.4" screen, 0.8kg of weight and about 7 hours of battery life, powered by an ARM processor, 200 or 400mhz, don't remember exactly. It even had PCMCIA slot.
What changed in this six years? IPad weights 0.1kg less, screen is 1.3" larger. battery life is 30% better, processor is way more faster, iphone OS instead of Windows CE, and there is no PCMCIA slot; and all this for 500 euro. Hey, six years have passed, look how laptops have improved for this time!
Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #117
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
Also, iRex produced first reader with e-ink screen larger than 6" (iliad); irex produced first and the only reader with 10" screen.
What apple did? Packed common hardware in a glamorous shell and greatly marketed it.
And wrote software that was easy to use, functional and stable.
Which iRex failed to do.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #118
penartur
Groupie

I believe we've talked about hardware.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #119
jbjb
Somewhat clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
I believe we've talked about hardware.
We were talking about *technology* - there was no restriction to hardware. Having said that, even if we restrict it to hardware, I've yet to see anybody point out any area where the iRex's technology is "far superior" to the iPad. Bear in mind that screen type is a matter of personal preference, not inherent superiority of one type or the other - each has pros and cons.

/JB
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #120
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
We were talking about *technology* - there was no restriction to hardware. Having said that, even if we restrict it to hardware, I've yet to see anybody point out any area where the iRex's technology is "far superior" to the iPad. Bear in mind that screen type is a matter of personal preference, not inherent superiority of one type or the other - each has pros and cons.

/JB
It is much lighter, portable and customizable for reading. I am not going to hunt for numbers, but I couldn't hold iPad in my one hand for more then 3 minutes, have no problems with DR800. And the myth about bezel needed also refuted by DR not needing that much of it at all, so the size is almost that of small screen readers.
Screen being personal preference? Well I certainly am not thinking so when reading on my patio near pool, which here in Florida I am doing for hours and 365 days a year. Cannot do that with iPad or iPhone, need to go inside when trying to text or email somebody.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter 11, financial problems, iliad, irex technologies