Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #19741
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now for The Good, The Bad and the Undead by Kim Harrison. The second in her Rachel Morgan/The Hollows series.

I liked the first one, but I'm not sure her world building is coherent enough for me. We'll see how this one goes.
I quite enjoyed it, myself - and don't forget, the series concludes in September. Over the course of the series, I've found the world to grow in intriguing ways, both personally for the characters and metaphysically as a whole. Lots of surprises are coming your way...

Aside from the novels and the short story collection, there are three other works to be aware of. Two graphic novels take place before the books, when Rachel and Ivy first start working together. Neat stuff, but it's all backstory. Then there's The Hollows Insider, which is sort of a cross between an encyclopedia and a "found documents" story. Again, it's nifty supplemental stuff, but not essential.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #19742
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Currently reading The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie. The first "Miss Marple" mystery. Excellent so far.
Just finished reading this and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story is masterfully woven. I’ve read a couple of "Poirot" mysteries and some of Christie’s standalone novels but this is my first “Miss Marple” mystery. Miss Marple is a wonderful character and while reading I was always waiting ethusiastically for her to appear throughout the story because she was sort of in the background, I assumed she’d be the main protagonist and the narrator of the story but that wasn’t true, she was a vital character nevertheless. I’ve read that her character changes in the other books so I’m interested to see how. As expected, the ending was a real shocker. I have nothing else to say except that … Christie is brilliant!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #19743
ericws
ericws began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Currently reading The Unbounded Series, bool three, The Escape.

I like it.
ericws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #19744
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
[QUOTE=CRussel;2826295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, the sequel to Grand Central Arena, Spheres of Influence, by Ryk E. Spoor.
It finally picked up, and I finished it. Overall, maybe a 4. Just.
[QUOTE]

Quote:
But I thought it was an excellent second volume in the new Grand Central Arena series, naturally without the grand reveal of the first book, but very much a 5/5 for me - whooshed through it.
I'm definitely glad. It could well have been where I was at as I read it. And it certainly picked up. Or, just a different taste. IAC, I'll certainly be interested in the next one.

Quote:
Now, I think, time for some of Miss Silver. Lonesome Road, #3 in the series by Patricia Wentworth, whose works are public domain here in Canada. This, and almost all the rest of the Miss Silver books, are available in excellent editions from Faded Page. Some have made their way over to PG Canada, but that process seems uneven for reasons that aren't clear to me.
This may well be the least cozy of all the Miss Silver books. A very compelling story, but quite terrifyingly not cozy! Enjoyed this re-read, even knowing what was coming. I'll be inserting another Miss Silver into the mix soon, but I'm waiting a bit, hoping that #4 comes out of the proofreading queue at DPC. But failing that, I may just break down and buy it, since the Kindle edition is only $6.15. Wonder what Kobo has it for....

Quote:
BTW, #20 in the Phryne Fisher Series, Murder and Mendelssohn written by Kerry Greenwood is still not available in either the US or Canada as an eBook, so I finally gave up and bought it from Audible. It is read by Stephanie Daniel, and very well read indeed. This is the last of the Phryne books that Ms. Greenwood has written so far, and I really can't stand the thought that I'm going to have to wait some indefinite time to get a new one. They are such little gems. Witty and wonderful.

The reviews of this particular one have been somewhat mixed, but I honestly can't understand the complainers. It has very much the same feel as earlier ones, is just as well written, and they've never been PG. All in all, it's still very much Phryne.
Well, I certainly enjoyed it. Not, perhaps, the best of the Phryne series, but still very enjoyable. I'm going to do a quick re-read of the first in the series at some point this month, but not immediately. Right now I've got Time's Echo, a novella by Rysa Walker that is my Amazon Prime Lending Library book for the month. Also on tap is Never Cry Wolf, by Farley Mowat. I read this years and years ago, but wanted to do a re-read now.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:56 AM   #19745
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry, I assume you've read all of the "Miss Marple" books and can give me an answer. I want to skip The Thirteen Problems which is the second book and move to The Body in the Library (book #3). I'm guessing since The Thirteen Problems is a collection of short stories, there won't be any references or repeated characters of the stories in the full novels? I want to leave the short stories last and read the novels first. What do you say?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:21 AM   #19746
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why do you want to skip it? It's an excellent book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #19747
Gazella
Wizard

Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you want to skip it? It's an excellent book.

I like to get to know the characters and see how they develop. I feel like novels have more details than short stories and the plot progresses in a gradual way. Short stories have generally very few characters and almost all of the short stories I've read felt rushed and ended in an abrupt way. I don't know, Christie's short stories might be different.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #19748
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This isn't a typical book of short stories. It's set within a connecting framework which gives it a novel-like continuity.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:51 AM   #19749
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
This isn't a typical book of short stories. It's set within a connecting framework which gives it a novel-like continuity.

Thank you for letting me know. I've already started reading The Body in the Library before your reply. I just couldn't wait any longer

I'm now very absorbed in the story so I think I'll just continue reading it and then read the The Thirteen Problems when I'm finished.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #19750
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Is that added for the book publication, or were the original stories published like that?

Murder at the Vicarage is the next novel for me to read in my roughly-chronological (and very slow) Christie read-through. I'm also trying to read a short story a day, although I occasionally forget. I'm reading from the three large Complete Stories volumes rather than the canonical collections. I feel they are mostly better organised than the original collections. I've read about thirty Poirots, and all of the Tommy & Tuppence (Partners in Crime) and Mr Quin (Mysterious Mr Quin + 2 strays) so far.

The Marple stories are collected in a volume I haven't yet started with all of the non-series stories, in chronological order of first publication. I'm wondering if that's going to be missing anything compared to the Thirteen Problems book version? Unlike Miss Marple's Final Cases, they do at least seem to be in the same order.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #19751
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Thank you for letting me know. I've already started reading The Body in the Library before your reply. I just couldn't wait any longer

I'm now very absorbed in the story so I think I'll just continue reading it and then read the The Thirteen Problems when I'm finished.
The Thirteen Problems was my least favourite Miss Marple book. I'm not a fan of short stories. If you skip it, it won't cause any problems with the continuity of the series.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #19752
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
BTW, #20 in the Phryne Fisher Series, Murder and Mendelssohn written by Kerry Greenwood is still not available in either the US or Canada as an eBook, so I finally gave up and bought it from Audible. It is read by Stephanie Daniel, and very well read indeed. This is the last of the Phryne books that Ms. Greenwood has written so far, and I really can't stand the thought that I'm going to have to wait some indefinite time to get a new one. They are such little gems. Witty and wonderful.
Scheduled for September 2014. I'm hoping that it arrives by then. I'm currently reading #17, Murder on a Midsummer Night.

Quote:
Now for The Good, The Bad and the Undead by Kim Harrison. The second in her Rachel Morgan/The Hollows series.

I liked the first one, but I'm not sure her world building is coherent enough for me. We'll see how this one goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I quite enjoyed it, myself - and don't forget, the series concludes in September. Over the course of the series, I've found the world to grow in intriguing ways, both personally for the characters and metaphysically as a whole. Lots of surprises are coming your way...

Aside from the novels and the short story collection, there are three other works to be aware of. Two graphic novels take place before the books, when Rachel and Ivy first start working together. Neat stuff, but it's all backstory. Then there's The Hollows Insider, which is sort of a cross between an encyclopedia and a "found documents" story. Again, it's nifty supplemental stuff, but not essential.
I've loved this series. I'm on the waiting list at the library for the most recent book, The Undead Pool, and that catches me up until September's release of The Witch With No Name

Quote:
I like to get to know the characters and see how they develop. I feel like novels have more details than short stories and the plot progresses in a gradual way. Short stories have generally very few characters and almost all of the short stories I've read felt rushed and ended in an abrupt way.
Yeah - that's my attitude, too. I enjoy short stories written in the "world" of a novel series since they're just small vignettes involving characters I've already come to like (or loathe). I'm not interested in reading stand-alone short stories.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #19753
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I'm currently finishing up the last of the Pern novels. I read them a bit out of order because of availability through the library. And still listening to The Serpent's Shadow, the last book in Rick Riordan's Kane Chronicles. Just started reading Murder on a Midsummer Night, #17 in Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher mystery series.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #19754
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
And still listening to The Serpent's Shadow, the last book in Rick Riordan's Kane Chronicles.

Rick Riordan is one of my favorite authors. His books are very enjoyable, especially if you're into mythology. The only series I still haven't read is the Heroes of Olympus series.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #19755
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just finished "Towards Zero", by Agatha Christie. This was her 42nd book, and the last in which the always likeable "Superintendent Battle" (who first appeared in "The Secret of Chimneys") appears.

The book starts out with a scene in which an old retired barrister is talking to his friends, and saying that a murder is simply the "Zero Hour" (hence the book's title) of a long sequence of events leading up to that murder, following which we have the story of the sequence of events resulting in a murder at a seaside town (and its solution by Superintendent Battle). A very good story, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

This is one example of a book which links together more than one of Christie's different detectives, in that there's one scene in the book in which Battle refers to Hercule Poirot, and says that he wishes he had his help in the case, because it's one in which he'd be of great help, with his psychological insights into the mind of the criminal.

I should perhaps add that this was one of those annoying cases where ITV had run out of "Miss Marple" books to produce TV adaptations of, and started inserting her into completely unrelated stories. Miss Marple (Geraldine McEwan) replaced Superintendent Battle in the TV adaptation of this story in 2007.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-13-2014 at 04:26 AM.