Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #23176
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Good morning, all! The sun has come out! After days of promising sun, but delivering only fog, this morning we actually have blue skies. Cold, of course -- right at 0 C. But at this time of the year, I'll happily trade cold for sun.

To celebrate, fresh squeezed orange juice (a mix of California Navel and Moro Blood oranges), and a mug of Anniversary Breakfast Blend.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #23177
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
<snip>We'll move to my parents' new condo in a week. Can't wait! I'm really tired of living in rent places...
Yay! Do you have everything all packed and ready?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
<snip>Sorry, I spend so much time doing my hair and make-up (about 2 hours ) that I had no time left to make a picture. But there were plenty of people with camera's there, I'll post one when one turns up. Or I'll make one when I have some time.
Thanks. I hope someone was able to get a nice photo.

Quote:
I can even do better than describe it! We have made a couple of plans ourselves (boyfriend is interior designer so has very clear ideas and the tools to make nice plans ). For the ground floor we really want open plan. As little walls and doors as possible. Here we have kitchen, dining area, sitting area and a storage room. We want a 'closet-wall' as you can see on our plan. We can get those for very little money at my boyfriend's work. Stairway in the living area because we think that's the most logical (when you wake up, the first thing you need is the kitchen, not the hallway!).

We can also build a full first floor (so it's not 'under the roof', we'll have an attic under the roof). Here we want 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and a shower room (preferably 'en-suite' with the master bedroom). No dressing, we don't need that. We'll make a folding staircase to the attic in our room. In the future we'll probably turn the attic into the master bedroom and build a full staircase.

Oh yeah, the left part of the piece of land on the picture is ours
<snip>
How exciting! How long do you think it will take before you can move in?

English Toffee Coffee in my cup.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #23178
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
people's republic daily green
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #23179
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'll sing you this October song.
Oh, there is no song before it.
The words and tune are none of my own
for my joys and sorrows bore it.

Beside the sea,
The brambly briars in the still of evening.
Birds fly out behind the sun
and with them I'll be leavng.

The fallen leaves that jewel the ground
They know the art of dying.
And leave with joy their glad gold hearts
In the scarlet shadows lying.

9 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l2pqWAfPOY )

Such wonderful music...

Good morning, all! Chilly and damp, but a good morning to get things done! I have some Keemun tea and bacon and eggs to start the day, and I really want to thank the person who came up with this combination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Spider Silk!
Where is Peter Parker when you need him?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #23180
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
A beautiful day! It's dark chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate sauce in a tall glass
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #23181
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I see, you've started celebrating. Happy birthday, Anh!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #23182
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Looks great. Let me suggest some railings on the staircase. For potential kiddos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

I'm guessing that this picture is really just a concept thing rather than a finished idea. I don't know of any material that would strong enough to support body weight at that angle at that thickness.
What Stitchawl said Of course we'll have a railing. The stairs in the picture is just one of the standard ones in the drawing program. We didn't really pay much attention to materials and colours (except for the red on the walls ), it's just to show where we want everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
How exciting! How long do you think it will take before you can move in?

English Toffee Coffee in my cup.
Right now we're thinking between 2 and 3 years ... It'll probably be 6 months before we have our definite plans and our building license. And that's when the municipality has no problems with our plans. If they do, then we probably have another 6 months of work with the plans. Then we have to find builders. And then we think it's about a year of hard work before the house is finished enough to move in. After that, probably another year before everything is finished.

Quote:
A beautiful day! It's dark chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate sauce in a tall glass
Happy birthday !!!!

In my cup: cappuccino. Still recovering from a fun but tiring weekend.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #23183
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ dreams: of course not I have such a severe problem of procrastination

Thanks Iri
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #23184
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
A good start to a birthday. Happy Birthday! Now you're 21 are you planning to celebrate more birthdays, or just stay 21 for a few years?

Nothing in my cup. I must fix that.

[moments later]

Iced water in my cup. Cheers!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #23185
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Keemun tea and no dinner...

Quote:
Happy Birthday, Anh! May you have many, many more!

Quote:
And then we think it's about a year of hard work before the house is finished enough to move in. After that, probably another year before everything is finished.
If you're going to move in once the house is weather-tight, having professional builders do the shell and the roof, they could finish their part in just a couple of weeks. The outer walls and roof are that fastest part of a house to put up. It's the inside work that takes so long; outting up wall studs, plumbing and wiring, interior wall covering, etc.

What are you doing for a foundation? I have a feeling that basements aren't so common in your area. Will you use a cement slab or just pylons?

Stitchawl
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #23186
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Happy Birthday! I wish you an incredible day full of fun. Do you have any special plans?

All I have in my cup is the last of my decaf coffee as it is so close to bedtime.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #23187
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
If you're going to move in once the house is weather-tight, having professional builders do the shell and the roof, they could finish their part in just a couple of weeks. The outer walls and roof are that fastest part of a house to put up. It's the inside work that takes so long; outting up wall studs, plumbing and wiring, interior wall covering, etc.

What are you doing for a foundation? I have a feeling that basements aren't so common in your area. Will you use a cement slab or just pylons?

Stitchawl
We're probably going to build with a timber frame, so the outer shell should indeed be ready in a couple of weeks. If you build with bricks, it can take a couple of months. At least in Belgium.
We're not going to move in right after that. We're probably going to move to a cheap apartment very close by, so we have at least some comfort (like running water and electricity ) but we can still work in our house in the evenings.
My father who build their current home himself (even the shell) told us it will take at least a year after the shell has been put up before the house is habitable. Because we can only work in the weekends and sometimes in the evening. We're not going to take time off from work to build, other than our annual vacation. But we'll see. Maybe we can move in faster. We knew it would be a long journey when we decided to buy the land, so it's okay.

I think basements are pretty standard in Belgium, but we're not going to build one. It's ridiculously expensive, and because the groundwater in our area is pretty close to the surface we'd have to have a special kind of basement. We're just using the standard strip foundation.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #23188
maianhvk
whimsical

Bogawantalawa ceylon let's have fancy drinks today

Thanks, Paul, Stitchawl and dreams No special plan today, there's an essay which dues in a couple of days...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #23189
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
We're not going to move in right after that. We're probably going to move to a cheap apartment very close by, so we have at least some comfort (like running water and electricity ) but we can still work in our house in the evenings.
There is no doubt that living in the shell isn't luxurious. After I put up the walls and roof, I immediately put in the kitchen sink and bathroom features so we would have that, and had the electric company run a main line from the pole into the house. I added a couple of 'quick' lines around the house so that there would be places to plug in the power tools without running long extension cords, but then we moved in. It was messy!

Quote:
My father who build their current home himself (even the shell) told us it will take at least a year after the shell has been put up before the house is habitable.
It was at least that long, if not longer before we were actually finished. But we use wood tongue-and-groove (knotty cedar) for the living room walls and ceiling, and a few other walls around the house, and they took time to put up and oil. Each plank had to be put up separately. Sheetrock would have been a lot faster!

Quote:
It's ridiculously expensive, and because the groundwater in our area is pretty close to the surface we'd have to have a special kind of basement. We're just using the standard strip foundation.
That was my concern. I thought it was somewhat lower land in Belgium, but then I realized I was thinking of Holland instead.

Stitchawl
Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #23190
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Some tiny bits of ice that used to be in water. Time for a refill.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?