Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
There are two series that I thought were very funny:

- The Myth Adventure Series by Robert Asprin. A great series that pokes a great deal of fun at the whole sword and sorcery genre. There was one scene in the first book that I had to struggle to not laugh.

- A Series Of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Although the events of the series should not be humorous (but are very unfortunate), Snicket's writing style makes the humor shine through.
I was going to recommend the Myth series, but I could not find the entire series in eBook format. I know maybe one or two are available. But even in paper format they are worth a read.

I did see the movie (A Series of Unfortunate Events) and it was good, but not really funny. So do you think the books are better then the movie?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #47
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Pretty much any book by Harlan Coben will make you laugh, despite them being crime/thriller stories. Especially his Myron Bolitar series - cracks me up all the time!
Coben's Bolitar cracks me up too, and I also like Carl Hiaasen for laughs.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #48
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was going to recommend the Myth series, but I could not find the entire series in eBook format. I know maybe one or two are available. But even in paper format they are worth a read.

I did see the movie (A Series of Unfortunate Events) and it was good, but not really funny. So do you think the books are better then the movie?
When I made my recommendations, I wasn't considering ebook availability, just books that made me laugh. I'm also hesitant to recommend comic books and manga since this website mostly deals with text books (although there are some incredibly funny comic books (like the the Mid-1980s Justice League) and manga (like Ranma 1/2).

Concerning A Series Of Unfortunate Events (ASOUE), I did think the movie was both funny and true to the books (although they did make a few understandable modifications from the books to fuse the first three books into one movie).

One of the factors that makes the ASOUE series work is the way that Lemony Snicket writes, something that is a little difficult to carry off on screen. I think it is similar to The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, where Douglas Adams has a very distinctive writing style.

Last edited by Solitaire1; 12-21-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Minor punctuation correction.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #49
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
It's been over thirty years, so I can't say whether I would still enjoy it so much today. But by far the book that had me laughing the most was Otley Victorious by Martin Waddell.

Waddell wrote a series of Otley books in the 60s. Otley was a reluctant spy for the UK.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #50
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Neil Gaman's Good Omen's is also funny, tho not laugh-out-loud-funny imho.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 AM   #51
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Hopefully his Jeeves stories are funnier than the only one I've read so far, Damsel in Distress-couldn't finish that one. Still have the Jeeves books on my to-be-read list, I don't generally give up on a well-recommended author just because the 1st book I happen to pick up isn't to my liking, but it does delay my getting into the rest.
I don't find Wodehouse to be extraordinarily funny, but he is a good storyteller of a classic vein and has decent smile-worthy humor woven into a lot of his stories.

I took tompe's advice and went through "Something New" (or Something Fresh) after a few lackluster experiences, and found it pretty enjoyable. It is a fairly well-crafted story and has pretty interesting characters. I can't call it hilarious, but it's smile-worthy.

I've yet to happen upon anything in the Project Gutenberg realm that can make me laugh out loud though. It's rather disconcerting, since I like to think of myself as having a well-developed sense of humor
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:54 AM   #52
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Glad someone else recommended Carl Hiaasen - Native Tongue is a favourite of mine, some of his others not so much. I think that maybe as with so many series if you read a couple close together they lose their edge, but spread the reading out and they are a lot better.

I dislike Woody Allens films, but his collection of short stories is pretty much the work of a comedic genius (in my opinion, of course).

The Good Soldier Švejk is a Czech book that is quite amusing - all about how stupid war and the military are.

No idea of the availability of the above in e-format. I suspect that The Good Soldier Švejk is not available anywhere...
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #53
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I can't believe I'm only the second guy to recommend Bridge of Birds By Barry Hughart. A very very funny book. I started reading it one day on a train drive (in PB) and when I got off nobody on the same car would've bet a nickel on my sanity, the way I was laughing...

Quote:
The Good Soldier Švejk is a Czech book that is quite amusing - all about how stupid war and the military are.
Seconded. I think it was the inspiration for "Catch 22", another funny book.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #54
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I can't believe I'm only the second guy to recommend Bridge of Birds By Barry Hughart. A very very funny book. I started reading it one day on a train drive (in PB) and when I got off nobody on the same car would've bet a nickel on my sanity, the way I was laughing...
I think Bridge of Birds is one of my favorite novels. It's a beautiful book in many ways, and the humor took a back seat when I was reading it...especially near the end. That said, yeah it did have some zany fun stuff and some amusing wit.

I think it should be required reading for all Sinologists, actually.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #55
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
It's been over thirty years, so I can't say whether I would still enjoy it so much today. But by far the book that had me laughing the most was Otley Victorious by Martin Waddell.
If you liked Otley Victorious, I expect you'd like the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. Fraser borrowed the character, Harry Flashman, from the book Tom Brown's School Days and puts him in the British Army in the Victorian era. Like Otley, he is a reluctant spy and gets up to hilarious adventures. Also, these are VERY accurate historical fiction.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #56
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I don't find Wodehouse to be extraordinarily funny, but he is a good storyteller of a classic vein and has decent smile-worthy humor woven into a lot of his stories.
My brother is reading 'Heavy Weather' at the moment - he attempted to read a favourite passage at a recent family get-together but kept cracking up. Eventually he passed the book to me to read out, and I couldn't stop laughing at it either.
It took about 5 minutes to splutter through three sentences.
Wodehouse!!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #57
zenny
zenny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post

No idea of the availability of the above in e-format. I suspect that The Good Soldier Švejk is not available anywhere...
A new English translation of Švejk is available at www.zenny.com in both paperback and PDF formats.
zenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #58
zenny
zenny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Seconded. I think it was the inspiration for "Catch 22", another funny book.
You are right, although I was told years ago Joseph Heller publicly denied it at one time. However, later he said as much to another writer who wrote about it. See the quote at www.zenny.com
zenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #59
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Anne George's Southern Sisters Mysteries are very funny. I nearly choked laughing at these at the beach one year. I'm not sure of their ebook availability though.

As previously mentioned the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich are also just outrageously funny. I was reading one at lunch at work one day and laughed until I cried. These are all available in ebook form.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #60
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Not sure if this was mentioned,

Apathy and other Small Victories

http://www.amazon.com/Apathy-Other-S.../dp/0312351747
rock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, funny, humor