Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Finally filled up my Kindle 2

I loaded about 1700 books total onto it, and there was about 50MB free. But overnight it went to 0MB indexing them all. However, the Kindle 2 continued to operate normally; it just stopped indexing, and couldn't download new content. I deleted 250 or so titles and it resumed downloading periodical updates and began indexing again. I'm now at 1445 books.

It used to take about 15 seconds to index a new book when I first added them; now it takes 1-2 minutes.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
That is a whole lot-o-books!!! I have just under 1/10th of that and I think I have a lot
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indexing still is taking up gobs of space. Down to 1300 titles. That should be enough, though.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Based on your description, the index files must be taking up perhaps 100MB or more. In other words, about 10% of the total. Although I suppose it is possible that two copies of these files are needed while indexing.

One reason for Amazon to exclude removable storage from the K2 might be the overhead of indexing 8GB (say) of ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Indexing still is taking up gobs of space. Down to 1300 titles. That should be enough, though.
I should think so. I can understand testing the limits of these devices, but beyond that, is there any real point to this exercise? I can read about 1.5 hours a day for pleasure if I'm lucky, and get through about 1 book per week on average. 1300 books will take me 25 years at that rate, and if you consider the life expectancy of the Kindle is what? 5 years? Less if you upgrade to the Kindle3 in a couple of years. Even reading a book a DAY would take 3.5 years, well within that upgrade window.

And if its now hampering the performance of the device, truly, what is the point? Inquiring minds etc...
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur

The indexing was 200 MB on the first 800 or so books I had. The last 500 books seem to be taking another 200MB. I guess my first 800 books were smaller; they only took up about 500MB of space. The last 500 books are taking up almost twice that. So I guess the indexing scales with the size of the book; makes sense.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchance View Post
And if its now hampering the performance of the device, truly, what is the point? Inquiring minds etc...
It doesn't seem to be hampering performance other than to make searches slower. But the main point is you might as well use the memory you have, and have the searches match what you want. I agree, it's a lot of books, and I'm sure I'll be deleting hundreds of titles at a later date and adding hundreds more when I have new stuff I want to read. But there's no point in not using almost all the available space.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I loaded about 1700 books total onto it, and there was about 50MB free.
I've been reading Kindle forums for the 16 months I've had my K1, and this is the most astonishing post I have ever read. Good grief, 1700 books? What in the world did that cost you?

How many days (weeks, months?) did it take you to find, like and decide to get that many? Or did you just download the first 1700 books listed?

My flabber is gasted.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
eousphoros
eousphoros began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
I ran into the same problem you did filling up the limited space on the kindle2. My solution was to get a toolchain built and get NFS working. Then I mounted my ebook library from the "cloud" (my nas) over nfs and now have over 4000 books available to me on my kindle. FTW! Maybe if i can get rid of this lazy streak I'll write up a post on how to do it. Though its really not that hard if you have some unix fundamentals.
eousphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
I've been reading Kindle forums for the 16 months I've had my K1, and this is the most astonishing post I have ever read. Good grief, 1700 books? What in the world did that cost you?

How many days (weeks, months?) did it take you to find, like and decide to get that many? Or did you just download the first 1700 books listed?
About half are free and the other half are books I've bought over the past decade primarily in LIT and PDF format which I've had to convert. I was content to read my books on my computer until the Kindle came out.

It's not that hard; between the Baen CDs and the Baen Free Library there are over 200 SF&F titles available for free. A couple hundred from here, other giveaways, etc. It adds up!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
doesn't take long to fill up a Kindle 2
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
doesn't take long to fill up a Kindle 2
Doesn't take long to fill up any reader if you shove enough books into it (with or without an SD card). 1700 is a lot of books for most people.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Damn, that's a heck of a lot of books. I think the K3 needs either greater storage space, or the ability to use an SD card again.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
eousphoros
eousphoros began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Personally I think all they need to do is leverage some of their existing services like amazon s3. That way storage becomes irrelevant in context of the device itself. Also doing so would provide tolerance against things such as losing your device or storage itself becoming damaged somehow.

Failing that a nice plan b would be to provide a service that lets you essentially do what I already did out of the box. No real reason to have any storage on the device itself when it has 3g cell service which gives you coverage pretty much anywhere. Perhaps add wifi in the k3 to cover the areas where the cell coverage wont extend.
eousphoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #15
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Holy crap! 1700?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote