Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
topquark
Connoisseur
topquark began at the beginning.

Device: K3, PW2
Footnote popups in PW2 not working for some books

The Kindle footnote popups work well for my other books on my PW2. However, there's this one book where it just wouldn't work. I've fooled around with various things using Calibre and Sigil but still couldn't get it to work. When I click the link, it takes me to the back of the page and I have to click the top of the page and then the back arrow to go back. Help please. Here are the codes I am currently using. (I've also tried converting the epub2 to epub3 using the Sigil plugin, but still no go.)

Anyway, this is how it appears on the AZW3:

body:
<span class="endnote-reference1"><a href="part0037.html#en3" id="enref3" type="noteref">3</a></span>

endnotes page:
<p class="endnote-text" type="rearnote"><a href="part0004.html#enref3" id="en3"><sup class="calibre70">3</sup></a>

What am I missing? I've tried adding and removing the "rearnote" and "noteref" but the popups still won't work. They work fine in Calibre, but not in the PW2.

Last edited by topquark; 05-24-2016 at 08:03 PM.
topquark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
topquark
Connoisseur

Note: The AZW3 was converted from an epub2 that I converted to an epub3 using Sigil. Even prior to converting to epub3 using the original epub, it still wouldn't work.
Advert
Old 05-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #3
topquark
Connoisseur

I also tried "aside" and that didn't work either.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Not sure at all, and hopefully Kindle wizards will pop in. But I am sure that the "type" attribute is not "legal" in epub2, only in epub3. Might that have some bearing on the issue?

What happens if you use "class" instead, with your desired formatting designated in the css?

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 05-24-2016 at 06:06 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by topquark View Post
What am I missing? I've tried adding and removing the "rearnote" and "noteref" but the popups still won't work.
rearnote and noteref can only be used in ePub3 books. For an (ePub2-compatible) example ePub3 book with 5 footnotes that'll all be displayed as popups when compiled with KindleGen, see this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topquark View Post
They work fine in Calibre, but not in the PW2.
Calibre doesn't support ePub3 books and uses heuristics to detect footnotes.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #6
topquark
Connoisseur

Thanks! I'll check out that example. Hope it works.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
topquark
Connoisseur

from the link you gave: "@roger64: Many apps, for example Calibre, use heuristics to detect footnotes and display them in popup windows. I.e., you won't have to convert your ePub2 books to ePub3 books to get popup footnotes."

What about for Kindle?? Do I need to convert to epub3 first?

"when compiled with KindleGen"

So it won't work if I convert using Calibre? Anyway, I will go and try it out.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #8
topquark
Connoisseur

Just an update. I tried everything on your sample file, compiled/converted with KindleGen, and it still didn't work. Aaargh! Someone please help.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
topquark
Connoisseur

Another update: After I compiled via KindleGen, the samples provided by Doitsu didn't work, but my old code, i.e.

body:
<span class="endnote-reference1"><a href="part0037.html#en3" id="enref3" type="noteref">3</a></span>

endnotes page:
<p class="endnote-text" type="rearnote"><a href="part0004.html#enref3" id="en3"><sup class="calibre70">3</sup></a>

HAS STARTED WORKING!! Yahoo! Apparently, all I needed to do was compile via KindleGen. Somehow the Calibre AZW3 conversion was the problem.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
topquark
Connoisseur

Final update. Apparently, it wasn't Calibre that was the problem. While compiling via KindleGen, I found errors in the TOC and fixed that. THAT was the main problem. Now, the Calibre conversion is working fine as well. I suspect I actually didn't need all the noterefs and rearnotes. Just a simple two-way referencing would have sufficed.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:10 PM   #11
topquark
Connoisseur

Okay. Sorry for the confusion but I spoke too soon. Apparently, in the Calibre conversion, the popups work for some pages, but not all. The pages where the popups work do not have the following document type declaration in the header:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

Can someone please explain what this header means and why some pages have it and others do not? Could I delete it and would that change anything?

Going back to try and see if the KindleGen conversion would fare better.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
topquark
Connoisseur

I give up. That is also not the problem. Some pages that do have that declaration still do not have pop-ups.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #13
yasteora
yasteora began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3 kobo touch
Smile

Hi, topquark:

Quote:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
The DOCTYPE declaration is for XHTML that if you wish to use anotherDTD.
And Sigil adds that automatically to every XHTML file if you make a epub2 by Sigil.

If you want to convert your epub2 to epub3, you must do not use the styles for epub3 like epub:type.
Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<package version="2.0" unique-identifier="BookId" xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
The declaration in OPF file that tell us that is epub2.0x.
I have change that to be:

Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<package version="3.0" unique-identifier="BookId" xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
But Sigil still not consider it as a epub3.0x file.
So I have to set Sigil :
Quote:
Edit - preferences -general setting
Change "Creat the new or empty epub as" option to "Version 3".
Than I copyed all my code to an empty epub, Because I do not know the convert plug at that time.

If you make a epub3 , the DOCTYPE declaration will change to"<!DOCTYPE html>". Because that is HTML5.

And some of the footnotes work good and some of them are not that I have sufferd that you can see my post. I think kindle ignores the epub:type="noteref" "footnote" "rearnote" and so on, So I still saved the them.

Sorry for my poor English.

Last edited by yasteora; 05-31-2016 at 01:58 PM.
yasteora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
footnote, kindle, popup, pw2