Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've decided to recreate this book, from the original sources, one item at a time and see if I can pin-point exactly where it goes wrong. This is really bugging me now!
Did you try the copy I put up?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, Jon; I should have thanked you for that. Yes, your version works fine! But I want to find out just what it is about my version that the PRS-600 doesn't like.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 06:14 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've now managed to reduce this to a "minimalist" case. One story, in a 13k HTML file which, when converted to ePub, fails.

Again for the PRS-600 select the "M" font size, and page through the book. It goes from "or pleasant in their..." at the bottom of one page, to "... difficulty of reduction" at the top of the next, missing out the page in between.

If anyone can see ANYTHING in this HTML or ePub file which might be an issue, I'd be VERY grateful to know what it is!
Attached Files
File Type: zip bug.zip (62.7 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 10-15-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think your problem is down to the entire content being enclosed in a span. Removing this, without any other cleanup (which is needed) fixes the problem on my system. I enclose bug and bug2, which show the difference, and are even more minimal than yours.

I'd suggest working towards getting it to pass epubcheck at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've now managed to reduce this to a "minimalist" case. One story, in a 13k HTML file which, when converted to ePub, fails.

Again for the PRS-600 select the "M" font size, and page through the book. It goes from "or pleasant in their..." at the bottom of one page, to "... difficulty of reduction" at the top of the next, missing out the page in between.

If anyone can see ANYTHING in this HTML or ePub file which might be an issue, I'd be VERY grateful to know what it is!
Attached Files
File Type: epub Bug.epub (7.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: epub Bug 2.epub (7.5 KB, 242 views)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Brilliant - thanks, Paul; that does indeed fix the problem.

Many thanks!
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #21
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well done, pdurrant. Must be the Norfolk air.
I've spent ages futzing around with this with little new to report.
But paging through the cut-down version (in the Sony software) which Harry posted today I had a missing page, as expected. I unzipped it, edited the 3rd html file to remove the 2 square brackets and the 2 following lines and when I paged through again, there was the missing page in all its glory. Then work intervened and I had to stop, but strange to say, everything did seem OK.
Glad it's fixed.

bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks to Paul for clearing this up.

The problem is caused by the fact the Book Designer (the tool I initially use to create my books) has a bug whereby when you add a table of contents entry, it puts a <span> tag in the wrong place, incorrectly nested with the surrounding tags.

Most devices seem to be pretty immune to this, but it seems that the PRS-600, for whatever reason, occasionally skips pages (presumably confused by the "never-ending span"). So, the error is in the file, but the PRS-600 is not as "fault tolerant" as perhaps it could be - this is not an error which affects the file "content" in any way, but it appears as though it can, from time to time, mess up the PRS-600's paging algorithm.

Unfortunately, this affects every ePub book that I've ever created, but luckily, with the overwhelming majority of them, it's harmless. For whatever reason, it really messed up this particular book on the PRS-600.

Obviously I'll make sure that I fix it on all my future books, and will correct it on the existing ones as and when I edit them. Luckily, as I say, even though the HTML is syntactically wrong, in the overwhelming majority of cases, it's completely harmless.

Thanks again to Paul for solving the perplexing problem!