Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Certainly, the DR1000S is not a "mass market" product like the Sony; it's aimed squarely at the business community. The price is very competitive when you compare it with such things as Tablet PCs, which is really what it's competing against, not 6" eBook Readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #17
sonicbuddha
sonicbuddha began at the beginning.

Device: none
To switch off the iRex vs Sony argument, what about new technologies? Is there something around the corner worth waiting for?
sonicbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #18
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I don't know of anything coming in the next 6 months or so that would read PDF's with the same clarity and ease of use as the DR.

You could try the new Kindle DX, but I understand that to be severely limited in several areas of functionality.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PDF support of the Kindle DX is extremely limited. No hyperlinks, no table of contents, no search, no annotation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
sonicbuddha

I appreciate everyone's help. I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy from somewhere like BestBuy where I can return if it does not meet my needs in less than 30 days. I'll report my findings.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #21
sonicbuddha

So my prs-700 came the other day and it was a complete bust. The screen was as milky as predicted and not really worth using. The PDF reading removed all images and the highlighting buggy. I returned it the very next day.

Guess I'll have to wait for new technology and stick with my thinkpad tablet for now.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #22
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbuddha View Post
So my prs-700 came the other day and it was a complete bust. The screen was as milky as predicted and not really worth using. The PDF reading removed all images and the highlighting buggy. I returned it the very next day.

Guess I'll have to wait for new technology and stick with my thinkpad tablet for now.

Yeah, you did great! You tried it and it didn't work for it's intended purpose and you returned it the next day! That keeps it simple and you can move on to something that works for you.

As I mentioned the first page, I agree the screen on 700 is too milky for me too, for me the prs-505 is such a cool gadget because it's small, turns on in 1/2 second and I can read anywhere, anytime, and has weeks of battery life. In your case if you do no pleasure reading or you don't have pdf's that are not in bookish format, then it would do you no good. But if at one time in your life you used to read regular books but haven't since internet and laptops, it is nice for me to go back to reading on the fly. I like it because all my books are on one tiny device, and I can enlarge the print , a problem I was having the last few years with reading regular books, they were harder to read. IF your only purpose is pdf tech stuff, then NO the SONY 505 is NO GO, and if you do no pleasure reading, NO GO. Just like I have tiny mp3 player for music and not CD player, I have netbook and 505 for tiny devices that allow me to read everything I need to read. Good luck in your search and I am sure more of these devices will be coming out in future like the 1000s , but not as much as the 1000s.

Last edited by richman; 07-16-2009 at 07:11 AM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #23
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The 505 has a beautiful screen, yet the touch method they used for the 700 just ruined that screen, by obscuring it.

Right now, you'd need a 10" screen to really make use of PDFs, and most of those are still coming. Wait till closer to end of the year.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote