Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Viewsonic Airpanel 100 - Poor Man's Iliad?

I came across this on Ebay. It's a 10" LCD tablet running WinCE. Normally I'd buy one before discussing it, but this is such an interesting possibility that I wanted to share it.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, I am going to buy one.
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
BTW, I am going to buy one.
Of course you are! That's why you're the King of Toys on MobileRead Island.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
That does look interesting. I'd consider getting one, but the cats would just pee on it.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I came across this on Ebay. It's a 10" LCD tablet running WinCE. Normally I'd buy one before discussing it, but this is such an interesting possibility that I wanted to share it.
Can you find a product page about this at viewsonic.com? All I can find is a press release from 2003.

BOb
Advert
Old 11-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
I was also toying with the idea to buy some WinCE tablet - there are several more brands out there. The only thing is - they generally have a terrible battery life :-( So, still sticking with my Axim ...

Klaus
Old 11-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I found this review.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I found this review.
Cool thanks. I guess the $120 close out price makes it alot more compelling than the $1000 original price.

BOb
Old 11-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
Thanks. $120 for a new tablet is a great price even though it's Win CE. Now I need to find an old copy of mobipocket and tcpmp. Need to also check if adobe has a reader for Win CE that will remove the watermark from my Marvel comic DVDs.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

The site I'd normally send you to is gone. Drat.
www.dt375.com

Mobipocket Reader can be downloaded from here. You want the one with for Arm CPUs. Also, you should try v4.9 before v4.8 because it supports a couple extra features. BTW, there is a free activation code for MobiReader: "JWNLMXVU". Without it some features will expire.

You can also have MSReader as well as Ereader. Here is a good source of (mostly) compatible software:
http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/j7xx.html

XXXXXX

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-05-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: link went to a poort product
Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
The site I'd normally send you to is gone. Drat.
www.dt375.com

Mobipocket Reader can be downloaded from here. You want the one with for Arm CPUs. Also, you should try v4.9 before v4.8 because it supports a couple extra features. BTW, there is a free activation code for MobiReader: "JWNLMXVU". Without it some features will expire.

You can also have MSReader as well as Ereader. Here is a good source of (mostly) compatible software:
http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/j7xx.html

There are a bunch of PDF viewers, and the tablet should come with one. If it doesn't, look here for a Foxit one that should work. Or, look here for Adobe Reader 2.0.
I just realized that I know a lot of useful stuff like this. It's about time I wrote another beginner's guide. I'll try to get to it some time this week.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #12
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
Thanks. Saves me the legwork. I haven't used Win CE since my old Ipaq died and I replaced it with an Axim running windows mobile.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Ah, yes, the old Airpanels. I looked at them at the time they first came out, but they seemed to be just a monitor echo device, with "pen" control of the mouse, so not nearly useful enough to justify the $1k original pricing for me.

I didn't realize they were WinCE machines however, so this may be a later incarnation than what I looked at.

I'll be interested to see what you make of it, Nate.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

There are actually 3 related Airpanel models (v100, v110, v150). All run WinCE. The v150 has a 15" screen, and the other two have a 10" screen.

I think the v110 would be the best ebook reader because it has a faster processor than the v100. Unfortunately, it seems to be pretty hard to come by.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #15
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Did you buy one? Definitely looks interesting, at that cost that is.

-MJ
Closed Thread