Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Author edits best selling book due to 3 complaints from 150,000 sales

This makes me feel all icky inside!

Guardian story

the change of word from twat to twit will have a big impact for me on the tone of what the charachter is saying and in what the character is.

In my mind someone who is 19 and uses the word twit as opposed to the word twat moves from being a normal 19 year old into a bit of a softy mummys boy.

Is my initial reaction to this over the top? just seems to me a retail store are in effect blackmailing an author to get a book edited and that feels wrong to me.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Could be just a PR stunt.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that the book is aimed at 10 year old children, I think this is entirely appropriate, myself. I think that I would have been among the "complainers" if I'd bought it for my 10 year old nephew and seen language like that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Freedom of Speech anyone?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that the book is aimed at 10 year old children, I think this is entirely appropriate, myself. I think that I would have been among the "complainers" if I'd bought it for my 10 year old nephew and seen language like that.
Why? Is it just language that is bad or would you complain about the plot?

What about Diana Wynne Jones? Unacceptable for children?

I just cannot understand this mind set people have that complains about these things.

Last edited by tompe; 09-05-2008 at 06:08 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is, I think, reasonable to assume that books aimed at young children will not contain obscene language. It's not a matter of "freedom of speech", but what sort of language you'd want your own children to learn is appropriate to use. Children of that age are not in a position to judge for themselves what is, or is not, good language use - how many 10 year old are going to know what the word means, do you think? Isn't that one of the reasons that we encourage children to read, to improve their command of the language?

If you buy a children's book it's perfectly reasonable to assume that it won't contain sex scenes, strong language, extreme violence, etc, IMHO.

I have no issues with the use of such language in books aimed at an adult audience, obviously.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is, I think, reasonable to assume that books aimed at young children will not contain obscene language. It's not a matter of "freedom of speech", but what sort of language you'd want your own children to learn is appropriate to use. Children of that age are not in a position to judge for themselves what is, or is not, good language use - how many 10 year old are going to know what the word means, do you think? Isn't that one of the reasons that we encourage children to read, to improve their command of the language?

I have no issues with the use of such language in books aimed at an adult audience, obviously.
Actually, I think it is very much a question of "Freedom of Speech", The author choose to use that word. And it is also the choice of a parent (and yes, I am one myself) to allow or not allow your child to read, or not to read said book. To demand that a word be changed because you take offense is just plain silly.

It's just as silly to put out a sign on your street that says "Drive slowly, children at play", instead you should teach your children NOT to play in the streets. That is not what they are intended for.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Actually, I think it is very much a question of "Freedom of Speech", The author choose to use that word. And it is also the choice of a parent (and yes, I am one myself) to allow or not allow your child to read, or not to read said book. To demand that a word be changed because you take offense is just plain silly.
Do you read in advance every book that your children get their hands on to make sure that it's appropriate for them?

I'm sorry to disagree, but I think that it's perfectly reasonable to expect certain "standards" in such things as sex, strong language, violence, etc, in books aimed at young children. And I'm certainly no "prude".

There ARE standards for such things in TV (at least in the UK, no such things are permitted to be broadcast before 9pm).
Old 09-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #9
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

I think we can agree that we disagree on this issue

And no, I don't read everything before them, My kids are now 18 and 20 years old. And I guess I have always believed in what did not kill them made them stronger sort of thing.

And they turned out pretty ok (I think). And I supose we may have a more relaxed kind of view on things like that in Sweden, after all. We have no "ban" on what is apropriate to send before a certain time of the day. It's up to parents to decide what you will allow your children to watch or not. Well, come to think of it, I don't think TV is allowed to air programmes with extreme violence included before 9 in the evening, but thats about it. Noone would be very upset if the swedish equivalent of the word twat was mentioned before that time.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #10
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Whatever a ten year old kid reads in a novel is nothing compared to what he'll hear in the schoolyard. I read a lot worse than that at that age, and I picked up a lot more from books than just how to swear; the swearing was easy. I just had to listen to how everyone around me at school talked and picked it up from there.

Mind you, I do swear like a trooper.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #11
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:26 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
Once they hit their teens though I wouldn't have a problem with a reasonable amount of cursing in context.
Agreed entirely.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
...- how many 10 year old are going to know what the word means, do you think?
If they're anything like me, they'll have looked it up in the dictionary by the time they reached double figures.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Beg your pardon... Can somebody explain the difference between "twat" and "twit" to me?
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

"twat" is a very rude word for a portion of the female anatomy; it's a word that you DON'T use in "polite company" (or indeed, ever, for most people). "twit" just means "foolish" or "silly" - it's a very mild word indeed.