Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
mizzsty
mizzsty began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Which one is better?

I have a question about the kindle store. I'm going to get a farmer's almanac for my kindle to plan my wedding however the store is kinda confusing. This one is ranked but it says only 5,000 ppl paid for it...

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Farmer...3663052&sr=1-1

but this one isn't ranked and it says 300,000 people brought it

http://www.amazon.com/FARMER-HIS-COM...3671158&sr=1-2

which is more important the ranking or the buyers and why won't my kindle let me preview each?
mizzsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
at 99 cents and 2.99 it's probably safe to just get both of them.

welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
mizzsty
mizzsty began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you kitten and yea why not...4 dollars is the least i would spend on this wedding haha
mizzsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Planting your own bridal bouquet?

And welcome and good luck with the wedding. And if price is an object, you can purchase one, check it out and if it is not good, return it easily from what I've read (I have yet to return a book to Amazon)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Get a sample from each.
Next best thing to "preview".
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Purely as a matter of curiosity, how does a farmer's almanac help one to plan a wedding?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Purely as a matter of curiosity, how does a farmer's almanac help one to plan a wedding?
I'd guess the idea is to try and choose a date when the weather will be favourable, since one of them claims to "provides a accurate, long range forcast for 2011."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzsty View Post
I have a question about the kindle store. I'm going to get a farmer's almanac for my kindle to plan my wedding however the store is kinda confusing. This one is ranked but it says only 5,000 ppl paid for it...

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Farmer...3663052&sr=1-1

but this one isn't ranked and it says 300,000 people brought it

http://www.amazon.com/FARMER-HIS-COM...3671158&sr=1-2

which is more important the ranking or the buyers and why won't my kindle let me preview each?
I think you're mis-reading what ranking information means. The New Farmer's Almanac has this:
Quote:
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #4,730 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science > Environment > Weather
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science > Astronomy > Star-Gazing
#2 in Books > Outdoors & Nature > Nature Writing
Which means it's the best-selling book in two categories (Weather and Star-Gazing), and the second-best selling book in the Nature Writing category. It's the 4,730th best-selling book in the Kindle Store (ie 4,729 books sell better than this one)

The Farmer and His Community, on the other hand, is the 242,489th best-selling book in the Kindle store (ie 242,488 books sell better than this one).

The New Farmer's Almanac is evidently the more popular of the two, by quite some margin. Whether or not that means it's better is another matter
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:26 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I'd guess the idea is to try and choose a date when the weather will be favourable, since one of them claims to "provides a accurate, long range forcast for 2011."
A rather forlorn hope, I suspect.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
" it may be winter outside......but in my heart it's spring....

Have a happy wedding!
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Being a practicle individual I made sure that we had an indoor option arranged for our outdoor wedding. I was certain that if I had an outdoor wedding and did not have a well planned indoor option then then weather would be awful.

My paranoia worked like a charm. We had great weather and everyone enjoyed the outdoor wedding all because the only way to screw up the wedding was to have massive hail that would have caved in the ceiling screwing up the indoor and outdoor wedding plans. (winks)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
tell that to the farmers that have been relying on these almanacs for hundreds of years
Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
tell that to the farmers that have been relying on these almanacs for hundreds of years
Oh come off it . Do you seriously believe that one can make a weather forecast for a particular day, months in advance?

Almanacs are jolly useful things for telling you things like the time of sunrise and sunset, the phase of the moon, etc, all of which are things useful to farmers, but forecasting the weather? I don't think so...

Last edited by HarryT; 12-30-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Have you tried the Wedding Planner at weather.com? It plots average temperature and precipitation through the year at whatever location you want. Looks interesting. Plus it has planning tips.

http://www.weather.com/activities/events/weddings/
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Oh come off it . Do you seriously believe that one can make a weather forecast for a particular day, months in advance?

Almanacs are jolly useful things for telling you things like the time of sunrise and sunset, the phase of the moon, etc, all of which are things useful to farmers, but forecasting the weather? I don't think so...
I am just saying that many farmers put serious stock by it
Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I am just saying that many farmers put serious stock by it
I'd be extremely interested to see how well they've done, historically, in terms of weather forecasting.