Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #61
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
What about the guy who enjoy romance novels like Logseman and Ron? Are they to feature a "frustrated female" now, too?? Man, I love this place!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Woooooooaaaaat ??????? Now you're getting interesting.... Logseman enjoys romance novels !!!???!!! The kinky ones or just the plain ones ? Details expected Poppaea, you know my PM address
Logseman, you are sooooooooo cooked !
Romance ebooks for a guy?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #62
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
On the other hand, "out-of-the-box" shopping carts are often sub-standard sold to companies who do not know what to look for and once sold, the companies are often stuck with the sub-standard over priced solution because it would be too expensive for them to change.
How true that is. The world is full of companies that won't pay to do it right and can't pay to do it over. It's not just websites, either. All sorts of things were obviously designed and built by the lowest bidder, and they break accordingly. There's a reason for the massive popularity of duct tape.

In the end, though, it comes down to dealing with the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. Shopping cart scripts sometimes let you click the "buy" button twice. So you check for that, and if that one did, you cancel the spare order. Reasonable people do not demand that their extra gift card (or HDTV, or car, or house) be given to them free because ... well, because of anything. Extra order, oops, cancel, done.

It brings to mind the behavior of the people in Japan after the tsunami versus the people in New Orleans after Katrina. All else aside, I suspect the people in Japan, despite the magnitude of the disaster, are probably happier with other people's behavior and less stressed as a result. That requires good behavior by everyone; trying to be the exception leads to the Tragedy of the Commons ... or NOLA.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #63
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn1 View Post
I'm done with this. Think what you want and be all judgemental and rude. And taustin that is exactly what I did when they took the one gift card back and credited my account, I sent it back to her because it was the right thing to do. Have a great day people.
I can sympathize with your frustration with Kobo.. I had a horrible experience with them myself. I think they do it on purpose, to be honest. They figure if they make returns as unpleasant as possible, you'll just give up, lol.

I also had the Kobo apologists jumping at me- people get very protective of their ereaders.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #64
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by voracious71 View Post
I can sympathize with your frustration with Kobo.. I had a horrible experience with them myself. I think they do it on purpose, to be honest. They figure if they make returns as unpleasant as possible, you'll just give up, lol.

I also had the Kobo apologists jumping at me- people get very protective of their ereaders.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #65
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
I think its more like people hate to admit they have made a poor choice, or rather a perceived poor choice by admitting anyone ever has a problem with that product.

I am not saying the Kobo is bad in anyway, so don't start bashing, oh go ahead
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #66
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So what explains the fact that a quick check of the first page of people who don't think the OP should be given a gift card she didn't pay for shows only one person who has a Kobo at all, and even that person also has a Kindle? In fact, in five pages of this thread, there are only two people who own Kobo ereaders? (yeah, I checked)

We have people here with just about everything you can read an ebook on (21 types of devices, of which 20 are not Kobos). We have people from all over the world (7 countries that I count). We have people who've been here for years and people who just joined. We have people who buy DRM-locked ebooks without a second thought and people who rail against them (um, like me). By my count we have 26 separate posters who share (roughly) an opinion, something that rarely happens in MobileRead, and that opinion is "no, accidentally double-clicking the "buy" button does not entitle the OP to a free $50 from Kobo."

I don't doubt that their customer service sucks. But that still doesn't entitle the OP to a free gift card -- specifically, one she canceled payment on. And it still seems very strange that the OP's mother would insist on it. (mine, being a very polite person, would have said "oh, you spent too much!" on the original, even if it was for $10, and been scandalized if I'd demanded a free one too)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #67
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
LOL! I had never even seen a Kobo in real life until 15 minutes ago!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #68
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
LOL! I had never even seen a Kobo in real life until 15 minutes ago!
I've yet to see on in the wild.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #69
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I've yet to see on in the wild.
Watch it! I have heard it, and others of the same species, can jump you and force you into reading all sorts of strange things!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #70
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

I heard the same, but with a little training they can be tamed
Old 04-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #71
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I heard the same, but with a little training they can be tamed
It doesn't work. They all sneak out of their cases when you least expect them, and display books at you ... and you can't help reading them ... and the next thing you know, it's tomorrow and you've had no sleep.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #72
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
It doesn't work. They all sneak out of their cases when you least expect them, and display books at you ... and you can't help reading them ... and the next thing you know, it's tomorrow and you've had no sleep.
Ahh so a lot like those Adult Sites then, many teens have been lost to them
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #73
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Quote:

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #74
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, more like the adult movies that are invading our homes persistently through our VCRs. (apparently Ashcroft hadn't heard about DVDs)
Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #75
minspargal
Enthusiast
minspargal doesn't litterminspargal doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
Well reading these posts made for an interesting morning read.
minspargal is offline   Reply With Quote